What are the best one handed weapons?

quickpawmaud

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
There are so many unique two handed weapons on the wiki but there doesn't seem to be very many options for one handed at all. I played a paladin before and used the sanctified gladius but I want to go pure warrior 1 handed and shield this time. The balanced blade seems good but would be better on a thief I think. I don't really want to use just a generic weapon that doesn't have any perks.

drossbots

Sep 29, 2020
If you're going sword and board, the sanctified gladius is your only choice currently if you want to use a unique weapon there. Technically weapons are designed so that they'll all be valuable throughout the game, so you shouldn't feel bad about using a non-unique. Use whatever fits your build. I can understand the instinct to use only special weapons, though. ;) Honestly with a pure warrior, if you don't plan on making use of spellpower the sanctified gladius is probably suboptimal, since that 10 spellpower is useless. Maybe a shortsword would be better?

quickpawmaud

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
If you're going sword and board, the sanctified gladius is your only choice currently if you want to use a unique weapon there. Technically weapons are designed so that they'll all be valuable throughout the game, so you shouldn't feel bad about using a non-unique. Use whatever fits your build. I can understand the instinct to use only special weapons, though. ;) Honestly with a pure warrior, if you don't plan on making use of spellpower the sanctified gladius is probably suboptimal, since that 10 spellpower is useless. Maybe a shortsword would be better?
I wish there was more of a beautiful sword equivalent in this game. Right now I am using a battleaxe. What is good about the shortsword? It doesn't need to be a sword I just want a good weapon. I was looking at the balanced blade because of the accuracy. Spear has evasion which since I want to be a tank would be useful. Weird how there are so many unique items in the game I would be using a basic weapon though. I got so many unique items that I ran out of storage space all useless to me.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Your options are really limited as the number of two-handers are probably double the amount of one-handers and that's only through going through the wikia list when it wasn't outdated at the time.

The silver lining to this is you can use any weapon in this game as still be good, the only reason you won't is you're too focused on min-maxing, but you can get by with Hawkthorne stuff and they can still be good weapons. I took a Short Sword to WC once and also the Spiral Sword. Be glad this isn't TiTS where you have to upgrade every other day once you go to a new area.

quickpawmaud

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
Your options are really limited as the number of two-handers are probably double the amount of one-handers and that's only through going through the wikia list when it wasn't outdated at the time.

The silver lining to this is you can use any weapon in this game as still be good, the only reason you won't is you're too focused on min-maxing, but you can get by with Hawkthorne stuff and they can still be good weapons.
Not saying this isn't true but this game is pretty difficult at points. Especially on hard mode. Usually this is to do with enemies who heal to full or dealing tons of resolve damage but there is more point to min max here than a lot of the other games. You can't really min max companions so the only thing to do it with is your champion. I like an end goal to work towards and getting all the best items is part of that. All my other gear is special like the Winged Sabatons, Shield of Brawn, Helm of Heroes, Cloak of Winter, etc. There is not any unique heavy armor chest pieces either. It seems like my playstyle doesn't have very many options yet. Which is weird because I think this game heavily reinforces you to play as a tank since you instantly lose if the Champion is downed and tank companions are not as optimal as the Champion whereas support or damage dealing companions are very common and good.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Not saying this isn't true but this game is pretty difficult at points. Especially on hard mode. Usually this is to do with enemies who heal to full or dealing tons of resolve damage but there is more point to min max here than a lot of the other games.
Nooot... really(???), the weapons outside the catalysts don't add much to your build in the long run iirc. Maybe it has more to do with your skillset or the companions you bring.
If you're talking about the Rift, which is the token Hard area atm, that can be done without you needing a shiny new weapon on hand.

quickpawmaud

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
Nooot... really(???), the weapons outside the catalysts don't add much to your build in the long run iirc. Maybe it has more to do with your skillset or the companions you bring.
If you're talking about the Rift, which is the token Hard area atm, that can be done without you needing a shiny new weapon on hand.
I usually bring Pyromancer Brienne and either Witch Cait or Queen Raiment Etheryn. Once I got to level 5 I have yet to lose but before that quite a few of the fights were brutally difficult with pretty much nothing I could do to win. I also agree weapons do not add *much* to your build but it adds *some*. It is also the only item I have yet to optimize.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I wish there was more of a beautiful sword equivalent in this game.
The Sanctified Gladius pretty much is the Beautiful Sword, insofar as it's an excellent weapon (especially when you can first obtain it) and you can't use it if your Champion is too corrupt.

Since equipment is designed to be about lateral moves rather than straight upgrades, it's going to be a viable weapon throughout the game. Actually it's probably going to be even better later on because demonic enemies tend to have a pronounced weakness to Holy damage. The Gladius doesn't do as much Holy damage as the Spiraled Blade but it also doesn't do Holy damage on only one out of every six days so it's much more reliable and being one-handed it leaves your offhand free for a secondary weapon or a shield.

quickpawmaud

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
The Sanctified Gladius pretty much is the Beautiful Sword, insofar as it's an excellent weapon (especially when you can first obtain it) and you can't use it if your Champion is too corrupt.

Since equipment is designed to be about lateral moves rather than straight upgrades, it's going to be a viable weapon throughout the game. Actually it's probably going to be even better later on because demonic enemies tend to have a pronounced weakness to Holy damage. The Gladius doesn't do as much Holy damage as the Spiraled Blade but it also doesn't do Holy damage on only one out of every six days so it's much more reliable and being one-handed it leaves your offhand free for a secondary weapon or a shield.
The Beautiful Sword was easy to optimize though the Sanctified Gladius is not. The Beautiful Sword was optimal on every single attack based low corruption build, whereas the Sanctified Gladius is only optimal on characters who benefit from the spellpower and ideally deal holy damage from other sources as well. Since otherwise most of that holy damage is just going to get negated by enemy resistance or if they are weak to it you are not maximizing the benefit. Assuming there are no weapons not mentioned on the wiki I think Spear might be the best option since it gives evasion. If I add Cunning Balanced Blade might be better since it gives bonuses to crit. Looks like Curved Blade is a direct upgrade from Short Sword gaining 5 damage and losing Light modifier although on a dual wield build Light is important.

Last edited:

quickpawmaud

Feb 8, 2018
Florida
All damage resistances are percentage-based.
Yes I worded that poorly what I should have said was that if you deal only 10 holy damage it isn’t worth it and a sword with pure penetration damage is better since all of that damage gets resisted once whereas if you split your damage your actual damage will be lower. So if you have synergy with holy damage like Charge Weapon stance or something it will be better. Less of your overall damage should be lost. I think Charge Weapon is a must have to optimize Sanctified Gladius. Since it takes advantage of the spell power buff too.

Last edited:

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Yes I worded that poorly what I should have said was that if you deal only 10 holy damage it isn’t worth it and a sword with pure penetration damage is better since all of that damage gets resisted once whereas if you split your damage your actual damage will be lower. So if you have synergy with holy damage like Charge Weapon stance or something it will be better. Less of your overall damage should be lost. I think Charge Weapon is a must have to optimize Sanctified Gladius. Since it takes advantage of the spell power buff too.
This is why paladin builds always use it. The Blessing + Smite Evil combo even moreso as it's still good and just more added holy damage to the sword.

Reactions: Kesil

WiseWalker

Mar 13, 2021
I remember that the control rod is good. But I have no idea where or how I got it. Could someone help me find out the process to get it?

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
You have to go through Kiyoko's amulet subquest and have Kinu with her. I take those are the barest requisites - I went through every Kinu event because her weapon training quest wouldn't proc for some reason! Then, free both (alongside any other children you may have had with Kiyoko), give it some time and talk to Kinu.

You don't have to be a kitsune.