Weird question

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Even with pets dogs for instance have to eat a -lot- of chocolate for it to actually hurt them. It's not good for them but it's not cyanide, either.

Really, it's not their similarities to pets that would make human food toxic but the fact that they come from entirely different planets and would therefore have completely different diets and palettes. That's not entirely overlooked since one of the functions of the nanomachines is to digest alien food but I don't think it's specifically brought up anywhere, either, so either some basic diets overlap, lots of people eat bland nutrient-rich pseudofoods when they're in space, or every establishment is really fucking careful about food allergies and such.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Really, it's not their similarities to pets that would make human food toxic but the fact that they come from entirely different planets and would therefore have completely different diets and palettes.
You have to remember the different species in TiTS come from planets so far away that the only way to travel between them is through wormholes, and yet the vast majority of them have biology similar enough that they can interbreed. Quite successfully as well. That means that at a fundamental level most races are closer to humans than dogs are to cats. I think the sharing of diets isn't really what should be talked about.
That's not entirely overlooked since one of the functions of the nanomachines is to digest alien food
Those nanomachines that do that are currently only in Steele Jr., the everyone else undergoes the normal reaction to food that doesn't agree with them.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Sharing diets is actually way less plausible than anything else in the game. The interbreeding is farfetched but the chances of compatible diets across species from different planets is zilch. Even here on Earth similar animals can't eat the same things.

What I meant by bringing up the nanomachines is that this basic problem isn't completely ignored but that's essentially the only time it's ever brought up so whatever the solution to it is it happens off in the background somewhere.

Jhin

Jan 5, 2017
UK
I mean, most creatures in TiTS are anthropomorphic, so they do share qualities of being human (for example, they can have a human digestive system). This could be a possibility to why they can eat things like chocolate (just a guess). And yes, even if normal pet dogs/cats eat chocolate like that, they wont die instantly or have a seizure on the spot (my dog took a bite out of a chocolate muffin and he looked happier than ever for the next few days).

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Found at one "Dog Owner's Digest". Just FYI
  • White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
  • Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
  • Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
  • Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.