Weapon-specific Special Moves

Should weapon-specific special moves exist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Natetheman223

Apr 18, 2018
Let's say you get the rudimentary revolver on Myrellion, but while it's equipped, you have an extra special move.

We'll call it: Unload

You fire 6 times in one turn, with reduced accuracy. But get this: each landed shot has a 100% chance to be critical hit, and then you have to reload for the next turn.

Considering there's 115 total weapons, not all of them would have a special move. Maybe 50 of them would (and yes, I'd write it).

I've saved you the effort of commenting and made a poll.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Eh, sounds a bit superfluous, considering that the weapons are already unique enough to have their own damage types. Not to mention that class abilities tend to breathe different kinds of life into weapons. It just sounds like they're going to be incredibly overpowered.

But also, why would some weapons have a special move and others don't? Sounds very arbitrary already. I mean, sure, you can rapid fire a revolver...but a Merc can do the same thing and not spend the next turn reloading.

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
Rather than a new ability per weapon why not just create one per weapon type?

Revolver type weapons 'Unload' 6 consecutive shots with reduced accuracy per shot (100/85/70/55/40/25% of normal hit chance)
Rocket Launcher type weapons get 'Bigger Boom' stunning the target and dealing damage to adjacent enemy party members.
Whip type weapons can 'Constrict' dealing damage and binding an enemy for up to 3 turns but disabling Steele's melee attack for the duration.
etc.

Revolvers, Pistols, Rocket Launchers, Flamethrowers, Assault Rifles, SMG's, LMG's, Bows, slutray, Energy cannons (Arc Caster) and Railguns.
Daggers, Claws, Swords, Hammers, Whips, Spears, Axes and Rapiers.

Just off the top of my head and oddities like the ranged shield weapon coud fall under another category for example using the hammer ability as its still blunt force trauma and could be used to bash, but of course thats determined by how the ability works.

If it was handled this way your creating 19 special moves (maybe a couple more that I missed) shared across all weapons which considerably lowers the work load but still gives each weapon type it's own niche.
Balancing is also easier but there would clearly be winners and losers depending on the combat situation and the players class/build.

Reactions: Crablord

Natetheman223

Apr 18, 2018
Rather than a new ability per weapon why not just create one per weapon type?

Revolver type weapons 'Unload' 6 consecutive shots with reduced accuracy per shot (100/85/70/55/40/25% of normal hit chance)
Rocket Launcher type weapons get 'Bigger Boom' stunning the target and dealing damage to adjacent enemy party members.
Whip type weapons can 'Constrict' dealing damage and binding an enemy for up to 3 turns but disabling Steele's melee attack for the duration.
etc.

Revolvers, Pistols, Rocket Launchers, Flamethrowers, Assault Rifles, SMG's, LMG's, Bows, slutray, Energy cannons (Arc Caster) and Railguns.
Daggers, Claws, Swords, Hammers, Whips, Spears, Axes and Rapiers.

Just off the top of my head and oddities like the ranged shield weapon coud fall under another category for example using the hammer ability as its still blunt force trauma and could be used to bash, but of course thats determined by how the ability works.

If it was handled this way your creating 19 special moves (maybe a couple more that I missed) shared across all weapons which considerably lowers the work load but still gives each weapon type it's own niche.
Balancing is also easier but there would clearly be winners and losers depending on the combat situation and the players class/build.

I'm liking this, honestly. I had a few ideas, but, uh... yours are better. I'll wait 7 days till the poll ends, and if there are more yesses than nos, I'll consider working on that. Of course, no guarantee it'll get in the game.

Reactions: Crablord

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
i would just like to say that, melee weapons are severely lacking. after that big weapon update from that one guy there has been much less melee weapons, a unique idea like this could help them out too.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
stun-locking Dr. Lash when you over-level him isn't anything special either

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
not everyone enjoys try harding the game for a broken fight

Natetheman223

Apr 18, 2018
Alright everyone, since the vote count is so close, I'm just going to drop this.

It was a nice idea, but it seems like it would be only me that's enjoying it.