Tychris. When is it being added?

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
I know it's been planned for sometime, but I'm wondering if there's been any indication of when it is actually being added. Something like Savin saying "yeah we are getting around to adding Tychris after we add X content to Y" would be nice to hear. If there's any such statement, guesses, or anyone claiming it came to the them in a dream, I'd like to hear them.

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
I think he said "It'll be added 4 months and 12 days after the last time someone asks when it will be implemented."
Dang it, we were at 3 month and 7 days.
Didn’t realize this was such a faq. I’m sorry everyone, gonna do like the kitsune and use self-destruct now.

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
Alright, here’s a maybe more interesting question: how will Tychris be added. As in, what instigating event will cause us to travel there. I would be shocked if we could just walk up on there for I think at least 3 days (I think I read higher a higher estimate somewhere tho, either way, it's a long walk). Pretty sure it's mentioned in-game that Tychris is in the direction of the Old Caravanserai, where and when you meet Cait's dad, and I found a post from 3 years ago mentioning it's going to connect to Tychris through there. But like I said, that was from 3 years ago, wouldn't be shocked if maybe that plan changed or something was left out about it that makes the transition to Tychris feel more natural, like a carriage ride to shorten the trip. No matter how shortened the trip might be tho, it's probably going to be long enough that a justification would be required for it to feel natural. Maybe something like Cait going "hey, Tychris is a city renown for its arcane knowledge, maybe they got some dusty old book on portals that can help us get back Calla". On second thought, this is probably more or less going to be it, I'm honestly embarrassed it didn't occur to me way, way sooner. So really from the beginning my question should have been about the timing of when Cait will come up and actually say that.

Ace Hangman

Sep 16, 2021
... No matter how shortened the trip might be tho, it's probably going to be long enough that a justification would be required for it to feel natural. Maybe something like Cait going "hey, Tychris is a city renown for its arcane knowledge, maybe they got some dusty old book on portals that can help us get back Calla". On second thought, this is probably more or less going to be it, I'm honestly embarrassed it didn't occur to me way, way sooner. So really from the beginning my question should have been about the timing of when Cait will come up and actually say that.
I don't know for sure, obviously. But it could take many forms. Presumably it will be leaving from the caravanserai and take X time, possibly with events or encounters as a set piece. Then once there, there's a waystone and you just roam on back. Or, barring that, once Astrid gets back home, she informs the higher-ups. She can't roam the Way Between curently, but she may have a stone like yours atturned to Hawkethorne (or someone there does) and, at the appropriate time for the game, they come to meet the Champ in Hawkethorne and they open the way and lead them to Tychris, which allows the Champ to attune their own waystone to that end and come back, thus spending only a short time in travel (maybe a day or two rather than weeks).

Or maybe like you said, a carriage. Maybe Baroness Carmen has had her old, black horse-drawn carriage brought from the stablehouse., drawn by a team of silent, black horses.. maybe it doesn't even use horses, just misty shadow horses... and the party rides there with Barnaphous.

Plenty of reason to go to Tychris, it's Nereva's patron city, she's the goddess of knowledge and secrets. The likely have libraries. Plenty of places to look for the location of artifacts for how the older empires and such dealt with demons (like the artifact Tollus was seeking in Sorra's spot, where you got her spear). Or ways to open portals since getting Cait's sister from another realm is still a reason or maybe they think they need to retrieve something from the demons' home plane. Or just as an ambassador to get more allies to fight the demon army.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Alright, here’s a maybe more interesting question: how will Tychris be added. As in, what instigating event will cause us to travel there.
You will get an invitation from the palace and then a carriage will drive you there.

Once you're there, there's a Waystone in the courtyard you can flip on to come and go as you please.

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
I don't know for sure, obviously. But it could take many forms. Presumably it will be leaving from the caravanserai and take X time, possibly with events or encounters as a set piece. Then once there, there's a waystone and you just roam on back. Or, barring that, once Astrid gets back home, she informs the higher-ups. She can't roam the Way Between curently, but she may have a stone like yours atturned to Hawkethorne (or someone there does) and, at the appropriate time for the game, they come to meet the Champ in Hawkethorne and they open the way and lead them to Tychris, which allows the Champ to attune their own waystone to that end and come back, thus spending only a short time in travel (maybe a day or two rather than weeks).

Or maybe like you said, a carriage. Maybe Baroness Carmen has had her old, black horse-drawn carriage brought from the stablehouse., drawn by a team of silent, black horses.. maybe it doesn't even use horses, just misty shadow horses... and the party rides there with Barnaphous.

Plenty of reason to go to Tychris, it's Nereva's patron city, she's the goddess of knowledge and secrets. The likely have libraries. Plenty of places to look for the location of artifacts for how the older empires and such dealt with demons (like the artifact Tollus was seeking in Sorra's spot, where you got her spear). Or ways to open portals since getting Cait's sister from another realm is still a reason or maybe they think they need to retrieve something from the demons' home plane. Or just as an ambassador to get more allies to fight the demon army.
If we go there by conventional means, there definitely should be some events in between Harvest Valley and Tychris. Seeing the signs of the wraiths trying to come together for a family dinner would be interesting, I love me some flavor text about ruins in general, but especially ones made in the Godswar. Granted, I don’t think Tychris has much of a civilization beyond its actual capital, it is described as a city-state rather than an empire like the elves, but surely they got something that could be wrecked.

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
You will get an invitation from the palace and then a carriage will drive you there.

Once you're there, there's a Waystone in the courtyard you can flip on to come and go as you please.
It did occur to me that might be how it happens; but thought it sounded a little too convenient somehow. Guess maybe not.

Abi3264

Dec 24, 2023
I do wonder how the layout of the place will be, how much npc will hang out there, will there be merchants and quests, fights, will it be more Winter City, Kitsune Den or Khor'Minos, very interested to get the feeling of the place.

Ace Hangman

Sep 16, 2021
Probably just one tile. Will have the Waystone option for leaving, and the Explore option and you just have to keep clicking until you find the random locations or encounters. No paths to open or unlock. It doesn't add a {Shop] or [Inn] option after your first visit to a spot. Once you leave a shop or location, you have to wander the city again to get back to it or re-encounter an NPC.

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
I do wonder how the layout of the place will be, how much npc will hang out there, will there be merchants and quests, fights, will it be more Winter City, Kitsune Den or Khor'Minos, very interested to get the feeling of the place.
Since they are massive nerds, I imagine there will be at least a library. So, here’s an idea: a librarian NPC that is all about having public sex as quietly as possible. Probably a bit niche as far as kinks go, but it’s unique for sure if nothing else.
Maybe there will also be some vendors of glass based equipment, since that’s a big part of Tychris (Tychrisean?) identity. That might be interesting. Something like an off-hand catalyst that is just a hand mirror with a chance to maybe blind enemies every turn, or if we want it to be good and it doesn’t contradict the lore, to reflect certain abilities back onto enemies (basically lore accurate mirror stance, but limited by RNG).
Maybe the same vendor could sell yet another off-hand catalyst that is essentially a pondering orb. That already exists, technically, but not reason there can’t be two of the same concept.
For quests, there could be one that essentially involves being a guinea pig for some curious wizard. Basically Tae Takemi’s confidant, if you’ve ever played Persona 5, and what Darius can already do, but maybe with sex being implicitly involved and inseparable from the experimentation. Maybe another quest could involve going to some haunted ruin to recover some long lost tomes. Honestly the former idea could just be a NPC, not so much a quest.
Maybe add something else that doesn’t involve either of Tychris’ hats, I’m realizing all the ideas I’ve proposed so far play into at least one them.
I think it’s also possible Tychris won’t be so content dense, maybe it’ll have single quest chain or handful of quests, depends on how much of the city is actually going to be available, it may just be a handful of quests and function like the Winter City, or even be relegated to just the palace, which is something that could almost be done to the Winter City as it is.

Last edited:

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
Probably just one tile. Will have the Waystone option for leaving, and the Explore option and you just have to keep clicking until you find the random locations or encounters. No paths to open or unlock. It doesn't add a {Shop] or [Inn] option after your first visit to a spot. Once you leave a shop or location, you have to wander the city again to get back to it or re-encounter an NPC.
I’m sorry but that sounds annoying as hell to say the least, not to mention nonsensical. You mean to tell me finding a store should function like a random encounter? That just doesn’t make sense. Are the streets shifting like the stairs from Hogwarts lmao

Last edited:

Listo

Aug 19, 2023
AFAIK it's just gonna be the Astrida's HQ part of tychris, sort of like the palace of light.
Iirc the HQ is also, coincidentally, the royal palace, so it might be more accurate to say it’s the royal palace including at least some of Astrida HQ

Gothamson

Apr 13, 2018

Ah yes. The Cainhurst method. Here's hoping for a spooky carraige wether it fits or not.

Reactions: Savin

Ace Hangman

Sep 16, 2021
I am sure along the way the carriage will pass by a catfolk, wearing nothing but boots (and maybe a cool hat). And they can talk! You choose whether they're male or female at the initial encounter. They tell you about their brave and handsome, and definitely totally a real noble, master who owns all the farm lands that you are passing through. They invite you to have dinner and meet their, totally real, noble master who lives in a castle nearby. There were rumors it was the home of an ogre... but apparently that's not true.