Town Hostility Mechanic Idea

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
I don't know if the devs thought of something similar, but I have an idea that the town of Hawkthorne would react differently to you based on what you did for the town and who you are. At the low end of the score, the town views you as a champion of their city and as a hero. At the middle of the score, the town views you as an outsider. At the high end of the score, the town citizens actively despise you, seeing you at best as an attack dog against the cultists and hoping the two of you kill eachother.

You would start out at the middle of this scale since you do start as an outsider. This would not be the same as a traditional morality scale as the town hostility scale would factor in the town's prejudices. Some heroic action would be discounted because they don't directly effect the citizenry or there would be no way of them knowing about it. You could be completely corrupted while still being treated as a hero or vice versa.

Actions or Attributes that lower hostility (Example)
Donating to the Nursery
Completing Farmhand's Freeholds
Completing Right of Conquest
Completing Harboring a Fugitive
Completing Dog Days
Being Champion of Hawkthorne
Attempting to Kill Kasyrra in Winter City
Corruption lower than tainted

Actions or Attributes that increase hostility (Example)
Visiblely Demonic Attributes (Demon Eyes)
Being Keros's Champion
Corruption higher than tainted
Seducing Kasyrra in Winter City
Kicking Liaden in the Honey

Note that this List is not a conclusive or compressive. Also some actions of attributes would impact the town's view of you more or less than other actions. Having Demonic Eyes would have less of an impact than Bimboifying Liaden.

This is just a thought I had in my head. I don't know if the devs have already thought of something similar or not.

Lone Wolf115

I don't know if the devs thought of something similar, but I have an idea that the town of Hawkthorne would react differently to you based on what you did for the town and who you are. At the low end of the score, the town views you as a champion of their city and as a hero. At the middle of the score, the town views you as an outsider. At the high end of the score, the town citizens actively despise you, seeing you at best as an attack dog against the cultists and hoping the two of you kill eachother.

You would start out at the middle of this scale since you do start as an outsider. This would not be the same as a traditional morality scale as the town hostility scale would factor in the town's prejudices. Some heroic action would be discounted because they don't directly effect the citizenry or there would be no way of them knowing about it. You could be completely corrupted while still being treated as a hero or vice versa.

Actions or Attributes that lower hostility (Example)
Donating to the Nursery
Completing Farmhand's Freeholds
Completing Right of Conquest
Completing Harboring a Fugitive
Completing Dog Days
Being Champion of Hawkthorne
Attempting to Kill Kasyrra in Winter City
Corruption lower than tainted

Actions or Attributes that increase hostility (Example)
Visiblely Demonic Attributes (Demon Eyes)
Being Keros's Champion
Corruption higher than tainted
Seducing Kasyrra in Winter City
Kicking Liaden in the Honey

Note that this List is not a conclusive or compressive. Also some actions of attributes would impact the town's view of you more or less than other actions. Having Demonic Eyes would have less of an impact than Bimboifying Liaden.

This is just a thought I had in my head. I don't know if the devs have already thought of something similar or not.
I like it but why? They have no reason to behave that way. In CoC Tel'adre Urta won't let you in if you have high Corruption but that is changeable. I don't need the added stress and I could play something else that has that.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
The core question is - does this add anything to the game? Or does it just add another complication to the game and code.

There's no consequence for either end of the scale. Paragon of goodness and light? The town lets you in. Evil incarnate? The town still lets you in. There has to be an incentive to give up the central hub of the entire game as well as a reason to defend it.

Lone Wolf115

The core question is - does this add anything to the game? Or does it just add another complication to the game and code.

There's no consequence for either end of the scale. Paragon of goodness and light? The town lets you in. Evil incarnate? The town still lets you in. There has to be an incentive to give up the central hub of the entire game as well as a reason to defend it.
Exactly I mean it's the same thing as being corrupt but the townsfolk are treating you a certain way.

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015

Very true. The idea I had in my head is that this would effect town tile descriptions, town explore events, effect certain other events, and maybe even the ending. For Example, If there was a theoretical event where Kinu openly explored the town, then at low hostility the town would welcome her, and at high hostility some might even chase her out.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Lone Wolf115

Very true. The idea I had in my head is that this would effect town tile descriptions, town explore events, effect certain other events, and maybe even the ending. For Example, If there was a theoretical event where Kinu openly explored the town, then at low hostility the town would welcome her, and at high hostility some might even chase her out.
Ok.
Kinu is not allowed to go into town no Kitsune is.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Ok.
Kinu is not allowed to go into town no Kitsune is.
Theoretical.
Also in Kinu's side story vignette I think it was stated she goes there under disguise and one of the main things brought up is how she almost got caught.

Lone Wolf115

Theoretical.
Also in Kinu's side story vignette I think it was stated she goes there under disguise and one of the main things brought up is how she almost got caught.
Wha? I know in the fight with Raphael when you win she appears in front of River but I haven't heard of that.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016

Gothic Purple Goblin

Mar 10, 2016
Pretty sure this is one big no. Extra work for...really little gained honestly. You would essentially have to have 3 sets of dialogue for most people (possibly multiple events) to really make it worth while, that's a lot of writing. But I could be wrong /shrug

LonelyHydra

Apr 26, 2020
Why not double down on this and track reputation on every settlement you can come across? Like sure main town will let you walk around no matter what, but anywhere else... It could make for interesting decisions for tradeoffs between cities.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
A system like that seems like it'd be a bitch to implement properly unless it is a major built-in feature ever since the ground level of the project. That being said, I'd love to see almost any version of it, especially when the Champ will get the Wayfort up and running and will have some content revolving around being a political shaker and mover in the region.

LonelyHydra

Apr 26, 2020
A system like that seems like it'd be a bitch to implement properly unless it is a major built-in feature ever since the ground level of the project. That being said, I'd love to see almost any version of it, especially when the Champ will get the Wayfort up and running and will have some content revolving around being a political shaker and mover in the region.
Personally, I'd be happy enough with a simple X approves/disapproves notification (+/- per every newsworthy action you do for/against a city), even if they go nowhere with it.

Reactions: PalletTown

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
Political Maneuvering is so hot.

Gothic Purple Goblin

Mar 10, 2016
Wayfort would be far more feasible for something like that indeed. Have some kinda efficiency rating, find resources, make contracts. Fuck, turning into some dragon age prep the keep for war idea.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Fuck, turning into some dragon age prep the keep for war idea.
Or Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Though both of those games have the PC sitting on top of a lot more power and influence, even if a lot of it is burrowed. In contrast, I'm not sure what exactly will the Champ own or whose fielty he will have.