Tourney idea

Whimsalot

Jul 20, 2017
Insprired by the tournaments of Mound&Blade, I was thinking about adding a tourney to Tits.

Basic idea:
PC fights a 1vs1 against a random enemy out of a pool of avaible enemies. Every round, half of the enemies get removed (basicly the ones that lost their fights). After 4 rounds only 2 characters are left, which then fight out the finale. (so the whole thing is basicly a normal bracket mode, exept the brackets get randomized every round)
Should be an repeating event (every couple of month or so).
It would also be possible to add new names characters as special enemies.

The current idea was to place it in the Myrellion caves and connect it with the nyrean queen in one way or another - probably as some kind of tradition to test the strength of the PC.

I made a simple prototype for that whole thing, but came accross two major problems:
1. I have no idea how to reward the PC - money seems a bit like a cop out (and I might add a way to bet on the winner) but I cant come up with anything else that would make sense for multiple tourneys.
2. Currently, most Myrellion enemies are around level 7 - which means that the tourney would be extremly hard at that level and a cakewalk with level 9 and above. Not really ideal for a repeatable event.

So, any comments/ideas for a prize or maybe a different tourney mode?

MosAnted

Aug 11, 2018
Uveto has a Race track and also the Stormguard temple, maybe it could fit in there? Could use some Stormguard NPCs seeking to prove themselves or something.

Regarding the level the only solution I can think of to keep it "Evergreen" is to either keep raising the level alongside the level cap, or have a tiered pool of enemies that get swapped around as the PC level raises (IE a level 7 PC would fight enemies from levels 6-8, while a level 9 would fight levels 8-10, etc). That would still require some expansion if you intend to keep it a viable alternative for the late game.
Alternatively could take a page from Oblivion's Arena and handle it a progression, getting progressively higher level each tourney, until you fight a "Champion" and then get the final rewards.

As for rewards, it's a though choice. Credits would be the least problematic choice I think if it's intended as a repeatable activity. Otherwise you'd need to either write up some new items, or maybe look for rare/expensive consumables. Maybe some of the one-shot items can be earned randomly as a prize? In that case a cooldown between torunaments might be a good idea to prevent farming.
Since this would be arguable intended as a combat centric activity you could also add sidegrades or new options for mid- to high- tier equipment for the various classes. IE Melee characters get kinda screwed if they skip Chaurmine and Akane's Quest so maybe some equivalent strength melee weapon.

Reactions: Jongeedubs

Whimsalot

Jul 20, 2017
Uveto has a Race track and also the Stormguard temple, maybe it could fit in there? Could use some Stormguard NPCs seeking to prove themselves or something.

I am currently using Myrellion because it has a lot of different enmies that would fit. If I use Uveto, I would have to write a lot of new NPCs of find very good reasons why enemies from other planets appear there - having only milodans & korgonnes would be a bit boring.
But your right, it would fit with the racetrack....

Regarding the level the only solution I can think of to keep it "Evergreen" is to either keep raising the level alongside the level cap, or have a tiered pool of enemies that get swapped around as the PC level raises (IE a level 7 PC would fight enemies from levels 6-8, while a level 9 would fight levels 8-10, etc). That would still require some expansion if you intend to keep it a viable alternative for the late game.
Alternatively could take a page from Oblivion's Arena and handle it a progression, getting progressively higher level each tourney, until you fight a "Champion" and then get the final rewards.

Yes, I guess I end up using leveling enemies. But I was also thinking about adding some random modifers (ie "no special abbilitys", "no shield", "melee only" or something) to make sure its not to easy.

MosAnted

Aug 11, 2018
I am currently using Myrellion because it has a lot of different enmies that would fit. If I use Uveto, I would have to write a lot of new NPCs of find very good reasons why enemies from other planets appear there - having only milodans & korgonnes would be a bit boring.
But your right, it would fit with the racetrack....

Like I mentioned, the Stormguard temple is located in Uveto, and that can be used to justfy any kind of NPc you an add as them being Stormguard adherents seeking to prove themselves, and/or the Stormguard maybe paying or hosting the tournament to attract contestants. We have Gel Zon (Cundarian), Shade/Astra (Kaitrith) and Krym (Human), so you could use any race for them.

Lana Stephen

Aug 18, 2018
What about a new, privately owned space station? Have someone rich set up the tournament to show off to other rich people including yourself, the heir to Steel Tech. He could be bragging about how he was able to get in contact with natives from the newly discovered planets and invite them to participate. different brackets could be "level restricted" (similar to weight class) and a "free for all" with smaller prizes such as extra money if you win with lower levels than your opponent or more times in a row without breaking for recovery items as an incentive to raise difficulty. instead o worrying about sex, since this would be a tournament for the entertainment of the rich it could be considered a prize for the victor and part of the show for the audience. You wouldn't need to worry about anything related to social status if you're seen having sex by all the company bigwigs invited to watch, considering you're the child of the universe's greatest playboy, but you should have exhibition go up if you do participate. For the set up you would need an introductory email, an NPC for sign ins and questions, and vending machines in a break room with healing items and possibly a V-Ko. This probably wouldnt need more than 5 tiles - Ship, Entrance (sign-in), Viewing Area (flavor text describing two combatants in the arena), Break Room, and Arena. NPCs exclusive to the tournament could also be added in later by people on the forum in order to pad out the roster and let you meet some races that aren't encountered in game.

Ways to balance this could be an item to reduce your stats by 10% that stacks with each use to adjust difficulty in "free for all" and specific weapons to use like in plantation quest.

Reactions: ChromaTaphore