Tips for a Darkest Dungeon Newbie

Keelat

Nov 4, 2016
Hey folks just wanted to get some beginner tips on the game Darkest Dungeon would love some help!

Kei

Aug 29, 2015
That game is hard. You will fail. You will fail again. You will continue failing for a loooong while. Always focus characters that do sanity damage down cause they will wreck your party if you give them the chance.

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
Basically read this http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Darkest_Dungeon

In short: Prevention is more important than healing. Stuns and finishing enemies should be very important to you. Don't be afraid to dump a low level goon if they pick up and expensive set of downsides. Remind yourself that overconfidence will fuck you in the ass at the worst possible time.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Heroes are free to replace. So don't be afraid to throw people away if you have to or to recover from a run of bad luck. Just be sure to up the number that appear each week to four and you'll be fine.

Also, the game is about stress and will likely stress you out. The random chances listed in the game are accurate, but I recorded the results of my games to de-stress by confirming that to be the case.

Reactions: Nik_van_Rijn

Eyero

Sep 27, 2015
If you're in a situation where you have a choice between dodging HP damage and dodging Sanity damage, take the health damage.

Getting the shit beat out of you can be fixed just by getting the wounded guy back to town alive, even if he was on Death's Door when you left.

Going insane costs money to fix, and can potentially cripple your best heroes in the process. Besides, disaster dominoes are a thing here- if one guy goes nuts mid-fight, chances are he'll start stressing out everyone else in the process, leading to someone else going mad, leading to more stress, eventually leading to a small ceremonial urn and a quiet funeral.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
If you're in a situation where you have a choice between dodging HP damage and dodging Sanity damage, take the health damage.

Getting the shit beat out of you can be fixed just by getting the wounded guy back to town alive, even if he was on Death's Door when you left.

Going insane costs money to fix, and can potentially cripple your best heroes in the process. Besides, disaster dominoes are a thing here- if one guy goes nuts mid-fight, chances are he'll start stressing out everyone else in the process, leading to someone else going mad, leading to more stress, eventually leading to a small ceremonial urn and a quiet funeral.

This is good advice, thank you. I was looking at possibly getting the game the next time it goes on sale on Steam.
Would you guys recommend it, or should I save my small pittance and get something else?

Also, does this count as a necropost? It has been four months since the last post, but it is on topic.

Last edited:

Eyero

Sep 27, 2015
Probably. I wasn't really paying attention to timestamps. My bad.

As for the advice, don't worry about it. Saves you having to learn the hard way.