Thoughts on this game so far?

Nov 28, 2019
Overall the combat in this game is very well designed; the drider just seemed out of place, which I guess is the point. Sigrune is still probably harder overall since she's so tanky, but the drider just had that strength of randomly being able to one shot things.
That said, are we ever going to be able to change powers for companions? It would add so much more to the game's combat to be able to do that, even if it is just a couple choices per character

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
That said, are we ever going to be able to change powers for companions? It would add so much more to the game's combat to be able to do that, even if it is just a couple choices per character

Yes; Companions will have outfits that you can swap around that change their gear and powers. For example, Cait will have a Jassiran bellydancer outfit that turns her into a Lust attacker, and Etheryn will have a pretty princess dress that turns her into a dedicated healer.

Nov 28, 2019
Yes; Companions will have outfits that you can swap around that change their gear and powers. For example, Cait will have a Jassiran bellydancer outfit that turns her into a Lust attacker, and Etheryn will have a pretty princess dress that turns her into a dedicated healer.
That sounds nice, I was more referring to being able to switch out one or two powers rather than the entire set being fixed, but it looks like I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
Being able to change them by editing my save file was fun though!

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015
the drider just had that strength of randomly being able to one shot things.
And do so before the player can do something it if she starts the fight with her AoE stun move. That's pretty much it.

Since powers and consumables aren't a reliable answer to such a threat, there isn't much thinking to do - just max physical bulk across the board. Bring companions she can't one shot (Atugia and Brint), equip a shield to avoid crits and put group heal in your main character to be able to revive party members just in case she still manages to kill one.

That way I had no problems beating her no matter what she did despite both Brint and Atugia being only level 3, and I wasn't even packing heal.

Greyfox643

May 20, 2016
A question, piggy backing off of the Drider debate, how is Threat handled? I see the orbs next to names to denote who has highest threat at any moment, but is there a way to have less (or more) threat on your Champion at the start of.combat, before any action is taken?

I ask because I swapped from the 'bard's to the rogue class, and have been experimenting with having my Fit Dullahan as the main tank for a bit, but I noticed that even with directing her to immediately pull threat (and using rogue skills to remove it) I may or may not get tagged with single target abilities from time to time

Reactions: Barakiel

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
A question, piggy backing off of the Drider debate, how is Threat handled? I see the orbs next to names to denote who has highest threat at any moment, but is there a way to have less (or more) threat on your Champion at the start of.combat, before any action is taken?

Yes!

Characters with Heavy armor generate more threat passively, and there's a ring anybody can equip that, while wearing light armor, decreases Threat passively.

Mind you Threat is not a 100% guarantee; it shifts the odds (dramatically) of a character being targeted, but you're never totally removed from the target pool.

Reactions: Greyfox643

Greyfox643

May 20, 2016
Yes!

Characters with Heavy armor generate more threat passively, and there's a ring anybody can equip that, while wearing light armor, decreases Threat passively.

Mind you Threat is not a 100% guarantee; it shifts the odds (dramatically) of a character being targeted, but you're never totally removed from the target pool.

Ah! I see, I need to take another hard look at my arms and armor, as I'm rocking 50/50 light and heavy.

I just need to last long enough to Garrote Priority targets.

The limited skill slots really makes planning skills for encounter suuuuper challenging. I both love and hate it because sometimes I forget to put Bolstering Dance back on. I bounce between it, Fading Strike, and Charge Weapon, for lust fights, boss fights, and group fights respectively.

I almost wish there was a moment to pick created power presets before combat (and be stuck with your choice for the encounter).

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Since Catfolk Dancers only get access to three stats (Presence, Agility, and Cunning) for boosting purposes, I just go with the flow. Light and sexy armor and undies (The Witch's Corset set with silk camisole & panties), a sword for offense, and a heavy reliance on various forms of morale attack.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Since Catfolk Dancers only get access to three stats (Presence, Agility, and Cunning) for boosting purposes, I just go with the flow. Light and sexy armor and undies (The Witch's Corset set with silk camisole & panties), a sword for offense, and a heavy reliance on various forms of morale attack.

Your background also gives you a trio of affinities.

... but I'm guessing you're a performer :p

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
The bard character I made has been the toughest to get a handle on. I've been leaning toward bows with a few spells to round out the songs but I haven't found a good mix yet that makes them effective without completely diluting the class.

I wish the sling had a compelling reason to use it, I like the concept of it as a low tech weapon for some classes but it's just not that viable. It'd be fun to use if it had low damage but massive criticals.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Courtesan background. Basically she was some noble's pet until his new wife got jealous.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I wish the sling had a compelling reason to use it, I like the concept of it as a low tech weapon for some classes but it's just not that viable. It'd be fun to use if it had low damage but massive criticals.

It's one-handed, so you can use a shield.

That said, item rebalance in the next patch or two.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
The shield can mitigate damage but it's hard to cause any with it compared even to the dagger. Being outclassed by a tutorial weapon means the poor thing never gets used.

Reworking it into a viable weapon would be a welcome change. It's not the only one that could use tweaking but it's probably the one most in need of it.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
And just realized it was time to update my equipment with loot from the Hive Dungeon. I may personally favor swords, but the whip and shield suit my character's offensive style much better.

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015

Will any of these outfits come with a shield?

Are normal enemies going to be able to use ultimate powers?

Both Berwyn and black mage have the same level 3 perk and it doesn't stack. Is this going to change?

Are there going to be weapons whose basic attack gets boosted by spellpower rather than attack power?

Nov 28, 2019

Both Berwyn and black mage have the same level 3 perk and it doesn't stack. Is this going to change?

Are there going to be weapons whose basic attack gets boosted by spellpower rather than attack power?
That's actually something I've wondered for quite a while, why there were no actual spell power weapons. I guess the basic attack literally means physically swinging with your weapon regardless of what it is?
If normal enemies were to use ultimates, they would need to be somewhat weak, as the player is only able to use one per day

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

1. Yes
2. No. Some bosses might, but even then they'd be the exception not the rule.
3. Fuck. It is now.
4. Not planned. Then you wouldn't really need Strength anymore.

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015
4. Not planned. Then you wouldn't really need Strength anymore.
I'd still need it for Spell Penetration and Armor.

On the other hand, a physical attacker has both Attack Power and Armor Penetration in Strength, therefore having more freedom to spread its stats to better suit its needs. It already has a good at-will damage dealer in attack. Unless it wants to get good at healing as well, it needs Spellpower only for defense.

With this I don't mean that there should be Spellpower weapons, but to state that currently things are more inconvenient if you play as a Willpower-based class.

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015
I can do that to catch up in terms of damage, but then the number of slots is limited and a physical attacker has that slot free to equip another utility skill like guard stance or bolster dance.

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
There's always gonna be some pros and cons and that's just how it is. That's the point of limited slots and different equip types.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
The trick is to develop a good support team and to know your strengths and weaknesses. Warriors will play differently from mages will play differently from charmers, and that's how it should be. Being able to power through regardless of situation is a sign of bad balancing, specifically having an overpowered party.