Thoughts on Rival scene on Uveto

Skiren

May 25, 2016
(I dunno how late this is to talk about since I dunno when the scene got added. Also gonna use Jill for ease) So this officially answers Jill's side of the question a lot of us(I think) would have had in the past, huh? the question of whether or not Jill would be down for incestuous romance.(we could have always answered that question for our own character, but not for her) Because I feel like it took almost no effort to get Jill into the idea of you servicing her, and she wasn't fully aware of the circumstances per se, she could only have really thought "my cousin wants in my pants, I guess that's fine by me if I'm getting pleasured"(so that means that at basically any point in the story she should be fine with you saying you'd give her oral? maybe?)

It also gives a few extra tidbits of personality to Jill, for one, she treated it actually kind of intimately(I'm saying this in comparison to most other scenes in game), rather than like coldly using a toy. And secondly, it shows that despite being bossy, Jill is not a dominant person imo, stuttering/failing at name calling you just cause of what you were doing, and not doing anything mean to you at all despite your vulnerability, so I feel like she'd definitely want to be in charge, but that her being in charge would kind of be up to the player.

I dunno how much characterization sticks depending on who is writing the scenes though?(I imagine/hope this is accurate characterization of her tho)
Also if you don't know what scene this is about, there's a scene on Uveto where you pick up a metal device(Sub-Tuner) directly north of your ship, it mind controls you, and then when you go back to the place it took you, you can pick exhibition, which can have you wander Uveto looking for someone to please, so it's random chance you'll get Jill.(Idk if there's any pre-reqs, but for me Jill didn't show up till I 'saved' her on Myrellion, could have been luck tho)

critlocked

Apr 21, 2016
Also if you don't know what scene this is about, there's a scene on Uveto where you pick up a metal device(Sub-Tuner) directly north of your ship, it mind controls you, and then when you go back to the place it took you, you can pick exhibition, which can have you wander Uveto looking for someone to please, so it's random chance you'll get Jill.(Idk if there's any pre-reqs, but for me Jill didn't show up till I 'saved' her on Myrellion, could have been luck tho)

Ah, so that's why I haven't heard of it before. I tend to avoid most things that cause loss of character control simply because in this game it seems to keep track so if you do it once then suddenly you have a super weak mind and are susceptible to further mind control in spite of any of your stats such as int or willpower which then leads to an instant bad-end on something you would have otherwise been able to overcome.

But that is really interesting, I'm right with you there in hoping that it isn't just a specific instance of writing and is actually a hint at her overall personality.

Reactions: Skiren

Skiren

May 25, 2016
Yeahh, I avoid scenes like this like the plague, I only went for it because I knew Rival had a scene on Uveto involving it, and it was important to see for character reasons like I said.(I just skipped through all the text till I saw Rival's face basically, then loaded after) But yeah it's such an easy scene to get I'd rec seeing it yourself(if all it requires really is just having Uveto unlocked)

D

Deleted member 15512

I went into it blind and was really surprised when I got the rival on my first try. The nude pic the rival sends you from Mhen'ga makes a lot more sense now, and even more so when I replayed the tutorial and was reminded that Vic said to try to not hate the rival because of who they were raised by.

I tend to avoid most things that cause loss of character control simply because in this game it seems to keep track so if you do it once then suddenly you have a super weak mind and are susceptible to further mind control in spite of any of your stats such as int or willpower which then leads to an instant bad-end on something you would have otherwise been able to overcome.

This. I'm annoyed at how, in the process of getting a flower for Emmy, you now can never cross the pods anymore for fear of a bad end.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Jill's variation is the default for that scene, so you'll always get it if you don't qualify for the others.

HugsAlright

Pets'R'Us
Creator
Jul 11, 2016
Ah, so that's why I haven't heard of it before. I tend to avoid most things that cause loss of character control simply because in this game it seems to keep track so if you do it once then suddenly you have a super weak mind and are susceptible to further mind control in spite of any of your stats such as int or willpower which then leads to an instant bad-end on something you would have otherwise been able to overcome.

The fuck you talking about, dummy? I specifically wrote the Sub-Tuner so the wearer is only more subby/suggestible/compliant when the collar is on, and if the player goes back after the initial scene it's entirely their choice. The only "loss of control" the Sub-Tuner has and will ever have or be involved in is the initial scene, and at that point it's still the player's choice to put on the collar.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15512

The fuck you talking about, dummy? I specifically wrote the Sub-Tuner so the wearer is only more subby/suggestible/compliant when the collar is on, and if the player goes back after the initial scene it's entirely their choice. The only "loss of control" the Sub-Tuner has and will ever have or be involved in is the initial scene, and at that point it's still the player's choice to put on the collar.

I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting it the first time I put it on, and it was a little scary. Heck, any sort of non-consensual mind control is kinda scary, which is why, although choosing to apply the uninhibiting influence of the Treatment is amazing, the implications of it being government-mandated are very sinister. I suppose we can be thankful that Belle is relatively benign and ethical, compared to almost every other scientist, although the fact that her research is going to eventually sent to a major corporation is some cause for concern.

Overall, I enjoyed it, although I might suggest adding a choice for uninformed players to resist going along with the initial experiment if mind-control is a huge turn-off for them, maybe give them a choice to sign up for experiments on their own time? I'm certain not everyone wants a permanent bar code stamp.

Skiren

May 25, 2016
I mean you can't really fault people for being wary about scenes like that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Badger thing still has people being sour on taking risks, and also the name Sub-Tuner isn't 100% clear on what it will do, and I mean that in a few ways, you can't know what will be done to you after you put it on, even if you assume it's subby things(which isn't even really true of the Sub-Tuner, you don't do "sub" specific things during all of that), you can't know WHO will do things to you, etc. (with the who being most important to me) I'm not really saying there's any "risk" here or that there's anything wrong with it overall, you just save your game before doing stuff like this, just saying that even so a lot of people are protective of their character.

Overall, I enjoyed it, although I might suggest adding a choice for uninformed players to resist going along with the initial experiment if mind-control is a huge turn-off for them, maybe give them a choice to sign up for experiments on their own time? I'm certain not everyone wants a permanent bar code stamp.
I'd say there's not much point in hoping for that, that's just really not the game's style, there's still no way to fight against Dr.Badger in the initial encounter, the game doesn't like to give you "see what will happen, THEN change your mind" options.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Why would it? You knew what you were getting yourself into from starting the game. Unless you're brand new to CoC and TiTS you can expect futa D/s.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
I don't think that the main complaint of the people is sudden futa, because, at this point they're more or less the norm. What makes them sour is the sudden brain-bleaching/mind-controlled submission that comes with a few scenes.

Yet, interacting too much with a crazed-looking doctor or messing up with, of all things, a collar (that belongs to another slightly less mad doctor), isn't the smartest thing to do. Then the brain-bleaching comes, which is fine for those who seek it, but makes those who not quite uneasy. That said, mind-breaking content is in line with the 'Tainted' view of the Galaxy, as well as some creepy bad-ends and most of the "Fiction" stories.

As someone that didn't enjoy the nature of the sub-tuner content a bit, and luckily stayed on the clear of all of it (I had an eerie feeling when I found it first, and checked the details on the forums before interacting with the thing), the best approach is read carefully, back out, and let said content be. As long as it doesn't forces itself on you, there shouldn't be any issue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15512

I suppose it makes sense that most people would save before testing the sub-tuner out. It's probably not that big of a deal anyways; it would be more of a concern for people doing a no save-scum, blind playthrough or something.

Moving back to the rival scene on Uveto, I just did the Sera walkies punishment on Tavros and ran into the rival, who also reacted in an interesting (jealous?) manner. Are they following the PC? Spying on the PC? If we're moving towards a massive tsundere-gasm much farther down the line, I will be very happy.

Reactions: valkyr42

Skiren

May 25, 2016
Moving back to the rival scene on Uveto, I just did the Sera walkies punishment on Tavros and ran into the rival, who also reacted in an interesting (jealous?) manner. Are they following the PC? Spying on the PC? If we're moving towards a massive tsundere-gasm much farther down the line, I will be very happy.
Ah, really? I didn't know that... (it's hard to keep track of Rival scenes since their wiki doesn't show like any of em) I kinda wanna see that, but Sera's stuff is more involved to go through, as opposed to just picking that Tuner off the floor for other Rival scene.
Also, just trusting what you said about it, if the Rival was upset seeing Steele walked by some dom girl, that would make plenty of sense, because the truth of the matter is that the Rival does not need your fortune, the Rival is doing all of this simply because of you in my opinion(I don't think it's a "dad will disown me if I don't" kinda thing or anything of the sort), so you essentially like... "giving up" or "wasting time" would be upsetting to them.(this doesn't require them romantically liking you, but it doesn't hurt that option at all either)
Rival does also mention wondering where you'd been in the Tuner scene, so despite the odds of you meeting up in space being so low, the Rival is literally on the lookout for you constantly.

Fickle Zed

Nov 5, 2017
Also, just trusting what you said about it, if the Rival was upset seeing Steele walked by some dom girl, that would make plenty of sense
Keep in mind these scenes were written by different people, and we don't really know how much editorializing Fenoxo did. The Sub-Tuner is credited to @HugsAlright, and the Sera walkies is credited to @Nonesuch. When there's multiple writers that aren't specifically coordinating with each other, be cautious in reading between the lines on a character's motivations.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Also, just trusting what you said about it, if the Rival was upset seeing Steele walked by some dom girl, that would make plenty of sense...

Actually it's some dom girl being walked by Steele. I wrote the rival's reaction to it to be slightly ambiguous, so people can read whatever they want into it.

Reactions: Skiren

Skiren

May 25, 2016
Keep in mind these scenes were written by different people
Yeah, I know there's differences between writers, but I have to assume most of the writing is at least "there was no issue with it being written this way".

Actually it's some dom girl being walked by Steele. I wrote the rival's reaction to it to be slightly ambiguous, so people can read whatever they want into it.
Ah, sorry, misunderstood which way that was meant.(I never really punished Sera so I didn't know) And honestly yeah that's all I really look for is "it's okay to think of the character like this" stuff(when it comes to a character with questionable characterization)

critlocked

Apr 21, 2016

First, rude. Rudness is not amusing and completely uncalled for here.

Secondly, I'm talking about this game's propensity toward punishing the player with an unavoidable bad end for giving up any sort of control even once as it seems to keep track of when you were not in control of your mind for any reason, including funny metal collars, and then later on down the line having there be a scene or boss or the like that might take advantage of Steele's habit of being mind controlled to just insta-frag your mind and game over you.

You may have written it to be a thing that's perfectly okay and a way for the player to safely allow themselves to be controlled by another person, yet that doesn't mean that someone hasn't programmed in some variable somewhere to indicate how many times you do it and then later on put in some encounter that capitalizes on that variable much like the Venus pods already do in a more isolated manner. Even if that isn't the case, at this point I've been burnt too many times to take that sort of chance. I don't trust this sort of stuff in this game regardless of the original author's intentions. Sorry.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
First, rude. Rudness is not amusing and completely uncalled for here.

You have a very aggressive posting style, and really shouldn't act hurt when it puts people's backs up. Take it from me.

Also, every post of yours I see is you savaging TiTS. I'm not even saying some of your criticisms aren't justified, but why are you here, really? You seem to actively despise this game and pretty much every design decision that was taken regarding it. Again, it shouldn't be surprising to you that somebody's who's put a lot of himself into the game would get angry at you for making negative assumptions about his content.

As an addendum, if submissive content that doesn't bad end you is your thing, you absolutely should try the sub-tuner and Sera's content. It's all designed with that specific goal in mind.

Skiren

May 25, 2016
A weird amount of hostility on a post I made cause I was happy Jill got content, and wanted to make sure others knew it existed ;p I'll say I know what Crit means, but I have no idea why they think that's an issue? I might be in a bit of a bubble since I play super vanilla-y, loading after any sexual scenes I don't want in my character's "history", but I'm not aware of any bad-ends you get that are a result of a completely unrelated choice you made at a previous time? and even the Venus Pitcher's don't "accumulate" bad-end chance only, they minus chance too the longer you're away from them, which frankly just makes sense.(anywayy, that's all completely unrelated to why I made this thread, so *shrugs*)

I commissioned both of those Jill scenes with the intent to show jealousy on the part of Jill. I also got more on the way.
Good taste /o/ Also, you said Jill, so if that means you like fem-rival *thumbs up* (I know they're the same, but ya know)

As an addendum, if submissive content that doesn't bad end you is your thing, you absolutely should try the sub-tuner and Sera's content. It's all designed with that specific goal in mind.
Yeah I actually kinda made a note of that in my head while writing something previously, the thing I said about Jill being upset about you wasting time, cause I originally just said her being upset when you give up your mission, but the reality is that both Sera and the Sub-Tuner stuff allow you to continue your quest fine.

HugsAlright

Pets'R'Us
Creator
Jul 11, 2016
punishing the player with an unavoidable bad end

I don't know where you're getting that idea from, considering insta-bad-ends aren't allowed, and every bad end in this game either comes from something (say a repeated action) with a lot of warning, or is a result of combat.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
Again, read carefully, otherwise you'll end up blowing up/glassing a planet. I understand if the sub-tuner content, or submissive content in general isn't you cup of tea, as it is quite a turn-off for me too, but, man, you have to check twice to know what you're getting into.

Back on track with Jack stuff, the only other time that I've seen him, besides probe-interaction, was with sub-Sera when walking her at Tavros. Given that the station is a kind of crossroads in the Rush, his presence here makes sense, unlike on Uveto, where isn't any kind of probe. Is he stalking the player in general, not only when a probe is near?

Last edited:

Skiren

May 25, 2016
I don't know where you're getting that idea from, considering insta-bad-ends aren't allowed, and every bad end in this game either comes from something (say a repeated action) with a lot of warning, or is a result of combat.
Well there is Dr. Badger(unless that's changed), but as much as I hate that setup, even I acknowledge that it's probably just to teach you early on how brutal a bad decision can be in the game.

Back on track with Jack stuff, the only other time that I've seen him, besides probe-interaction, was with sub-Sera when walking her at Tavros. Given that the station is a kind of crossroads in the Rush, his presence here makes sense, unlike on Uveto, where isn't any kind of probe. Is he stalking the player in general, not only when a probe is near?
That's why I think the Rival literally follows you or waits for you, since they won't progress without you, and will meet you in places they shouldn't be

D

Deleted member 15512

That's why I think the Rival literally follows you or waits for you, since they won't progress without you, and will meet you in places they shouldn't be

*Rival and Dane are hanging around the pod on Mhen'ga*
Dane, up a tree and holding a pair of binoculars:
Can we just go? You already got the co-ordinates. This humidity is making me itchy everywhere.
Rival, standing by the pod, fanning self with a broad leaf: Quiet! Just keep an eye out for them! What do I even pay you for, anyways!?
Dane, muttering: Wish you two'd just fuck already and get it out of the way (raises voice) I see them! About one hundred meters!
Rival, throws away leaf: Ok! Uh, get down from there and take your place! This has to be perfect! (Dane begins climbing down in a nimble manner, thanks to his extra arms)
Rival pulls out their codex and activates the mirror function, brushes a few stray hairs back into place, takes a deep breath, then strikes a pose while putting on an expression of extreme smugness.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
And then much later it turns out that the lockbox at the end of the adventure contains not only the metaphorical keys to the kingdom, but also a marriage contract between the Captain and their Rival, because Vic had seen it coming 20 years in advance.

The tricky bastard.

Skiren

May 25, 2016
I've said this before long ago, but I predict that, given the fact that Dane is no longer a threat, and that the Rival themself is not a threat, that we can't be far off from the Rival losing all around and you having to decide what to do with them(or you sub-ing to them somehow), unless the rival buys more muscle, which is possible but unlikely imo. Because Rival already isn't capable of getting the probe on Myrellion, and it's only gonna get worse for them, so I doubt you'll just keep saving them with them running off after.
Personally I would wanna let Rival be in charge (not like dom/sub, just letting her be the "boss" in the relationship like she likes to be), with them just like joining your crew, so you're still doing all the work, goin to probes and such, you're just kind of doing it "with"/"for" the Rival.

Reactions: valkyr42
D

Deleted member 15512

Rival already isn't capable of getting the probe on Myrellion

A minor headcanon I have is that the rival tried to convince Taivra to go along with her plan to woo the PC tsundere-style, and Taivra would have none of it and imprisoned them and Dane.