The Seven: Just Wondered

Quicksilver Tongue

Apr 2, 2021
Why seven gods exactly? I can't help but scan it initially as a Game of Thrones reference; I'm guessing that probably wasn't the intent, since they don't have much of anything in common besides the number. They also don't seem like they match the colors of the rainbow, the Deadly Sins, or any other traditional set of seven that I can think of. So how did Savin come up with this particular aspect of the worldbuilding? Why not more, like one for every species or something? I'm just curious about the logic behind the decision.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Seven has a long history of being a 'mystical' number across the world (as in 'at least as far back as humans have had writing' long) so no specific reference needs to have been intended. Gods were wanted, a number was needed, seven has a good ring to it.

I refer you to the Seven Lucky Gods for an example of a group of seven deities, or seven archangels in some branches of Judaism and Christianity, for but a couple of examples.

Last edited:

Quicksilver Tongue

Apr 2, 2021
Seven is just a good number.

I would argue that eight is an even better, and nine a better one than that....most people would lose interest at 17 or so, although I wouldn't. The D&D pantheon contains a default of 22 deities, and more are added in later sourcebooks, until the total approaches 100. I'm not expecting a collection of anywhere near that size in a game like this, but 10 or so wouldn't seem outrageous IMO.

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
I would argue that eight is an even better, and nine a better one than that....most people would lose interest at 17 or so, although I wouldn't. The D&D pantheon contains a default of 22 deities, and more are added in later sourcebooks, until the total approaches 100. I'm not expecting a collection of anywhere near that size in a game like this, but 10 or so wouldn't seem outrageous IMO.
Are you sure? I heard that Seven ate nine. I'm willing to hedge my bets on Seven.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
Seven is actually a pretty good number for such things.
Having an uneven number of deities allows for an inbalance on how they act. (i.e. two support one side, the other side is also supported by two and then you have a wild card, which can swing the battle for either faction once someone cconvinces the neutral deity to take sides.)

With a higher number you risk diluting them, since you have less domains for them and less time to flesh each one out.

All in all, I think seven is a great middle ground between diversity & potential for inter-diety relations and having clear defined domains & time to flesh each personality out.

...Though it is possible that I took the question too serious, unsure after the last two comments. ^^'

Reactions: Tenalc13

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
Seven...Savin...coincidence?

Be careful, everyone else who managed to deduce that Savin is actually the gestalt conciousness of seven servers got banned! O_O
(I assume that they where filled with smut and so the emerging AI became a writer and peddler of such content, but that is just my personal theory)

Reactions: cobra and Paradox01

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
That was the number of gods I came up with.
So there's no significance to the number of gods? Sounds like you just started coming up with characters and they happened to total seven?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
You're asking why seven gods.

Why not?

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I've posted this elsewhere, but I think it bears repeating:

Cigar.jpg

Reactions: Emerald

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
Blue hides cum stains better.
Wouldn't the material be more important for hiding them?

But why isn't the curtain red? IT MUST MEAN SOMETHING! WHAT IS THE SECRET? TELL ME WHY YOU CHOSE BLUE! :confused::eek::eyepop:

I think it is obviously that Savin does not actually see why he chose seven himself.
We can see it by his decision to talk about "blue curtains". Blue is not the keyword here, the curtains are.
They symbolise the conealment of the true thoughts. He does not understand it himself, why the number 7 is at the core of his own being.
In fact, his simple statement proves everything.

Quicksilver Tongue

Apr 2, 2021
it is obviously that Savin does not actually see why he chose seven himself.
We can see it by his decision to talk about "blue curtains". Blue is not the keyword here, the curtains are.
They symbolise the conealment of the true thoughts. He does not understand it himself, why the number 7 is at the core of his own being.
In fact, his simple statement proves everything.

Exactly. Or in other words...

ttps://youtu.be/_7pUvXuzlk4?t=946

Argh, the forum keeps turning my link to a specific timestamp within the video into an embed of the entire video without the timestamp. The only workaround I see is to remove the H from Https.

Last edited:

Stupid_Goo

Apr 10, 2021
Argh, the forum keeps turning my link to a specific timestamp within the video into an embed of the entire video without the timestamp. The only workaround I see is to remove the H from Https.

Unrelated to thread, but maybe you're copying vid at that specific timestamp rather than the vid in general? I know there's options for that - because it bugs me sometimes when I'm Googling a vid and those often start with specific timestamps.

Quicksilver Tongue

Apr 2, 2021
Unrelated to thread, but maybe you're copying vid at that specific timestamp rather than the vid in general? I know there's options for that - because it bugs me sometimes when I'm Googling a vid and those often start with specific timestamps.

The following string, minus the spaces:

h t t p s : / / y o u t u . b e / _ 7 p U v X u z l k 4 ? t = 9 4 6

Is automatically transformed by the forum into the following string:

[ M E D I A = y o u t u b e ] _ 7 p U v X u z l k 4 [ / M E D I A ]

That is the problem I don't know how to fix.

Quicksilver Tongue

Apr 2, 2021
Try to copy the full URL of the video, not the short link.

I have to use the Share link in order to get the proper timestamp. Speaking of which, I found a better scene for this purpose, from earlier in the episode:

EDIT: Actually, I just tried exactly that, and this still happened. So here's the spaced-out version again.

h t t p s : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = _ 7 p U v X u z l k 4 & t = 6 5 2 s

Tenalc13

Mar 16, 2020
Removing the spaces worked this time. But I already lost the thread of the conversation and did not understand the reference. D:

Reactions: Paradox01

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
Argh, the forum keeps turning my link to a specific timestamp within the video into an embed of the entire video without the timestamp.

So, it looks like the feature to embed videos at a specific starting time was only introduced officially to XenForo 2.0.0, and it seems that the forums that we are currently on are XenForo 1.5 or thereabouts.
Which means that, seemingly, the only way you'd be able to reference from a video at a specific starting time would be via just using a general URL that members could click on to view the video externally.

If you're interested, here's how you could attach the links for a specific time in a video for external viewing:
Reference 1
Reference 2

Plain Text version of the above:
[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7pUvXuzlk4&t=946s]Reference 1[/URL]
[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7pUvXuzlk4&t=652s]Reference 2[/URL]

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Or, just link the video and give us the timestamp by saying something like, "Start watching at 3:10".

KISS.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Or, just link the video and give us the timestamp by saying something like, "Start watching at 3:10".

KISS.
Yeah this. Because this YT vid stuff has really derailed the thread.

Reactions: Kesil and Paradox01