The Power Fantasy Problem

Tobey Maguire

Mar 10, 2020
I always thought some people were just insecure which is why they complained about this stuff, at least when it came to polyamorous characters. I never considered it may have been a power fantasy problem.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
A few months is not enough. And some spoilers - like the ones in Empire Strikes Back and The Sixth Sense - you never reveal without a spoiler tag/warning.

Reactions: Kesil

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
We all know that good stories do not get ruined by spoilers. If your story can not stand on its own without surprise factor that comes with blind reading, it is probably not all that good to begin with. And I hate that concept that something has to be some unspecific years old for it to be okay to spoil. What happened to all good stories being timeless? Why does it matter if it is old? Seems like double standards to me.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Are you seriously trying to say surprise reveals like
Vader is Luke's dad
or
Willis being dead the whole time
DON'T add to the rest of their stories?!

Horseshit.

I don't even like watching movie trailers.

Last edited:

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
Spoilers that don't matter.

No, he's saying that knowing these things doesn't make the movies boring. Everyone and their grandma knows these so called twists already and the movies are good regardless.

Last edited:

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
Are you seriously trying to say surprise reveals like
Vader is Luke's dad
or
Willis being dead the whole time
DON'T add to the rest of their stories?!

Horseshit.

I don't even like watching movie trailers.
It's surprise vs tension. A bomb going off in the room is a surprise and gives a short higher rush of emotion. Knowing that a bomb is in the room and will blow soon gives tension for a longer period of time.

Some people prefer the bomb out of nowhere. Others prefer the timer.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
It's surprise vs tension. A bomb going off in the room is a surprise and gives a short higher rush of emotion. Knowing that a bomb is in the room and will blow soon gives tension for a longer period of time.

Yeah it really depends on the person. Some like surprises, some prefer a lead up.

Reactions: Tenalc13

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
I, personally, like to flip to the last chapter of the story, read the ending, and then go back and read the rest of the story. Because a "ooh, how do they get there?" is more interesting to me than "oh huh, they just went there." Like, there's a reason why Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet starts out with the narrator talking about how the children of the Montagues and Capulets are going to die within this story. Because it's not about the destination, it's the road to get there.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
I mean, even if someone was told that Fullmetal Alchemist ends with the brothers getting their bodies back, that wouldn't really ruin it since that was pretty much a foregone conclusion from the start. However, if someone was to spoil that
Edward is only able to regain them back by sacrificing his alchemical abilities
, I would say that might be a bit too much.

Reactions: SeriousBlueJewel

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I, personally, like to flip to the last chapter of the story, read the ending, and then go back and read the rest of the story. Because a "ooh, how do they get there?" is more interesting to me than "oh huh, they just went there."
My brother's girlfriend is one of "those people". Out of all her faults - and she has quite a few - this one is by far her most eggregious. I fucking refuse to watch movies with her. She's the kind of person that shouts out spoilers during the movie as soon as she figures shit out with NO regard to allowing other people make connections on their own.

"Oh, THE BROTHER IS ACTUALLY THE SISTER AND THE MURDERER!! HAHAHA!!!

It's like fucking vocal diarrhea with her.

Like, there's a reason why Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet starts out with the narrator talking about how the children of the Montagues and Capulets are going to die within this story. Because it's not about the destination, it's the road to get there.
That's a completely different form of storytelling, and there's definitely a place for it and proper way to do it.

"Shit happens. Three weeks earlier..."

But that's NOT WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE. Jesus, how do you guys NOT see that??

LonelyHydra

Apr 26, 2020

I don't think a twist really works for the story if it literally comes from "nowhere", rather than "somewhere I should've seen coming."

My brother's girlfriend is one of "those people". Out of all her faults - and she has quite a few - this one is by far her most eggregious. I fucking refuse to watch movies with her. She's the kind of person that shouts out spoilers during the movie as soon as she figures shit out with NO regard to allowing other people make connections on their own. It's like Spoiler Diarrhea.

That's a completely different form of storytelling, and there's definitely a place for it and proper way to do it.

"Shit happens. Three weeks earlier..."

But that's NOT WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE. Jesus, how do you guys NOT see that??
People read and watch media in different ways from other people. Let them chill with whatever works for them, and give the same respect they give you. Like remembering to put spoiler tags.

You know what, I'm in the mood for doing some armchair psychology. She sounds like she's more a socializer (to borrow from Bartle), how did your discussions go after the movie? Or could it be she's checking out, do you think both of you even have similar tastes in media?
Yeah, not in the mood anymore. Sorry to pry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paradox01

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
People read and watch media in different ways from other people. Just let them chill with whatever works for them.
I totally agree, until their version of enjoyment detracts from my enjoyment.

You know what, I'm in the mood for doing some armchair psychology.
Lets do this! :)

She sounds like she's more a socializer (to borrow from Bartle), how did your discussions go after the movie? Or could it be she's checking out, do you think both of you even have similar tastes in media?
Granted, she's dumb as fuck. Seriously. I really think that both her desire to flip straight to the last chapter of a book (which I'm told she actually does) and vomit potential spoilers before (personal experience...she's ruined a couple movies for me before I watched them) and during movies is truly based on her low opinion of her intelligence. One movie I've watched recently with my brother and her was Tenet. It was so new, she'd had no opportunity to see/hear about any spoilers. She was so lost half-way through the movie, she basically checked out and buried her nose in FB. When the movie ended, my brother and I barely got started with our "Oh SHIT! That was trippy when..." discussion when she burped out, "I didn't get it."

And that's her mantra after a movie she doesn't understand. "I don't get it." And by "movie she doesn't understand", I mean "movie she doesn't know the ending and meaning of before the movie starts".

She's fucking dumber than a bag of hammers.

Maybe she's coloring my extreme dislike of people that have to know everything about a story before they read/watch/play it, or maybe it was that one asshole that ruined The Sixth Sense for me and a buddy on our way to see it in theaters.

Dickhead: "Hey, where you guys going?"
Me: "We're going to see The Sixth Sense."
Dickhead: "Oh, shit, that's a great movie!
Totally blew my mind when it's revealed that Bruce Willis is dead the whole time!"
Buddy (grabbing Dickhead by the throat and slamming him against a wall): "Motherfucker! Gimme your cash cuz you're gonna pay for our tickets AND our popcorn!!"

Reactions: DaisukeKaiser

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I'm the opposite to you Paramail, i prefer spoilers, i enjoy more seeing how a story gets there far more than the big reveals. That being said, i'm not a dick who goes around spoiling it for folks. That being said, i find people who harp on about every tiny little mention of something they haven't consumed as being a spoiler so infuriating i want to punch them in the throat. I'm talking like, the big reveal in the sixth sense is a genuine spoiler, but flipping out cause i mention it's a psychological movie about the ghosts of dead people being unable to move on because of unresolved business they had in life, that shit infuriates me. If you can't even mention the premise of a film without someone screaming spoiler then you can't have a fucking conversation with that person for fear of them losing their shit at random times, so you tip-toe around them, it's an unhealthy relationship. I ain't got time for that shit.
That's totally different, IMO. Discussing the overall theme of something is not the same as a spoiler. I said earlier I don't even like watching movie trailers and while that's mostly true, it was a bit hyperbolic. I don't like watching them only because they tend to show all the good parts. Apart from any story hooks, I want to be surprised DURING THE MOVIE when a particularly awesome stunt/fight move/line happens ORGANIC TO THE REST OF THE STORY.

Reactions: LonelyHydra

LonelyHydra

Apr 26, 2020
I totally agree, until their version of enjoyment detracts from my enjoyment.

Lets do this! :)

Granted, she's dumb as fuck. Seriously. I really think that both her desire to flip straight to the last chapter of a book (which I'm told she actually does) and vomit potential spoilers before (personal experience...she's ruined a couple movies for me before I watched them) and during movies is truly based on her low opinion of her intelligence. One movie I've watched recently with my brother and her was Tenet. It was so new, she'd had no opportunity to see/hear about any spoilers. She was so lost half-way through the movie, she basically checked out and buried her nose in FB. When the movie ended, my brother and I barely got started with our "Oh SHIT! That was trippy when..." discussion when she burped out, "I didn't get it."

And that's her mantra after a movie she doesn't understand. "I don't get it." And by "movie she doesn't understand", I mean "movie she doesn't know the ending and meaning of before the movie starts".

She's fucking dumber than a bag of hammers.

Maybe she's coloring my extreme dislike of people that have to know everything about a story before they read/watch/play it, or maybe it was that one asshole that ruined The Sixth Sense for me and a buddy on our way to see it in theaters.

Dickhead: "Hey, where you guys going?"
Me: "We're going to see The Sixth Sense."
Dickhead: "Oh, shit, that's a great movie!
Totally blew my mind when it's revealed that Bruce Willis is dead the whole time!"
Buddy (grabbing Dickhead by the throat and slamming him against a wall): "Motherfucker! Gimme your cash cuz you're gonna pay for our tickets AND our popcorn!!"
This is what I deserve for not sleeping on it before I hit post. Still, I'll try to give you your money's worth. I have a few suggestions:
-Watch a movie you know she's seen but you haven't, and try talking with her about it
-Develop an different interpretation of a movie you both watched. Not a total 180 (too obvious a troll to take seriously), but contains details that would go against a common reading
-Ask your theater about getting some headphones. Or learn to block out distractions

That's fine, you fucking enjoy it your way! Be surprised! Have fun! :p

Thanks, I fucking will!!

;)
OK, good night everybody.

Reactions: Paradox01

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
-Ask your theater about getting some headphones. Or learn to block out distractions
Oh no, this shit happens at my brother's house. She at least knows better than shouting out spoilers in the actual theater.

-Watch a movie you know she's seen but you haven't, and try talking with her about it
Been there, done that.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
OK, good night everybody.
We're friends, Mal and I talk like that to each other.

EDIT: Also, I think we've drifted WAY off course from the OT.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
This certainly derailed.

LonelyHydra

Apr 26, 2020
Oh no, this shit happens at my brother's house. She at least knows better than shouting out spoilers in the actual theater.

Been there, done that.
Well I'm sure your bro can be a bro and set up some Dual Audio for you. The point is to stall; can't be spoiled if you already watched it.

This certainly derailed.
What were we talking about again? Something about how what power games let you have is limited by what the (human or computer) DM lets you get away with?

BasedBuckNasty

Nov 5, 2017
CoC 2 is power creep power fantasy. You just need to play the long game. At some point the Frost Marches are going to be absolutely overrun by your kitsune and lupine offspring. Kiyoko and Gwyn do not fuck around. The PC is Palpatine subtly instigating the formation of his GAR and Kas is the CIS providing a .jus ad bellum.

Or I could have totes jus been waiting to sagaciously exclaim that power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Last edited: