The New Importance of Teasing

Jul 9, 2021
Somewhere uncomfortable.
I'm not a particularly combat heavy player, so at the moment I'm at a loss with how teasing works for the combat changes. Typically when a new quest or dungeon comes out I have a few saves and play it through a couple of times before cementing my decision, right now I don't have any extensive fights to try it out on. I could play the game and see for myself but I'd like to hear from someone who actually knows how it works instead of me guessing.

Also the Razorcup Nectar I saved up feels useless now.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Now teasing damage Health instead of Resolve (which no longer exists).

Enemy resistances and vulnerabilities are unchanged; if something was immune or resistant to Tease attacks, that still applies, and vice versa. The only thing that's significantly different is that now ALL damage regardless of type applies to the same health bar.

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
You got my note about making it render the player invulnerable for a few turns in combat right :p

Lotus

May 8, 2021
North
Now teasing damage Health instead of Resolve (which no longer exists).

Enemy resistances and vulnerabilities are unchanged; if something was immune or resistant to Tease attacks, that still applies, and vice versa. The only thing that's significantly different is that now ALL damage regardless of type applies to the same health bar.

If I understood this clearly: a boss with high damage resistance/avoidance can be made horny to death instead.

HERE I GO DEFEATING THE KITSUNE DUNGEON BY FLASHING FLESH AGAIN! Streaking is still OP!

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
If I understood this clearly: a boss with high damage resistance/avoidance can be made horny to death instead.
That's how it always worked, it's just that now everything hits the same health pool instead of having two separate bars. It does remove the visual clue for how you're meant to deal with Miko and Mai for example, but since Sense is now a guaranteed thing you can still work out their trick without too much difficulty.

Last edited:

Lotus

May 8, 2021
North
That's how it always worked, it's just that now everything hits the same health pool instead of having two separate bars.
Of course, but it's better now.
Before (because I never used sense) I would usually discover I was dealing next to no damage before I switched to teasing, but now the little damage I did do before I changed tactics will still be useful because it is that much less health I need to bring down before I defeat the enemy.

Overall a 10/10 design choice. I would however argue that resolve should be the new name for health. After all, unless this game uses nosebleed logic having Cait flash her nips shouldn't reduce the health points of the enemy. This new change makes letting companions control themselves better since their actions matter a little less since they are still being useful, if not necessarily the most efficient.

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
Overall a 10/10 design choice. I would however argue that resolve should be the new name for health. After all, unless this game uses nosebleed logic having Cait flash her nips shouldn't reduce the health points of the enemy. This new change makes letting companions control themselves better since their actions matter a little less since they are still being useful, if not necessarily the most efficient.
Quoting myself on this subject:
I’d thought about that tbh, but I felt it was easier to convey its overall role by maintaining the HP name instead, which is important for any new players. Functionally, you’re absolutely right, and I’ll probably write something in the codex to the equivalent of “health in this game is an abstraction of a character’s willingness and ability to continue fighting, which is why such a broad variety of abilities target the same bar.”

Reactions: Lotus

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
That's how it always worked, it's just that now everything hits the same health pool instead of having two separate bars. It does remove the visual clue for how you're meant to deal with Miko and Mai for example, but since Sense is now a guaranteed thing you can still work out their trick without too much difficulty.
You know, sometimes I forget there sexually charged, I have always fought them with violence.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
That would be a nice way to explain it considering in most games loss of all HP is death rather than just defeat. Which is probably where the initial gripe was about.
I mean, on the one hand, sure. On the other hand, loss of all HP in this game has always meant defeat, where death only comes via specific bad ends for specific unique dungeon NPCs.

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
You know, sometimes I forget there sexually charged, I have always fought them with violence.
They are? Huh. I always cast spells and beat them into a pulp. So we were supposed to tease them like Elthara?

I just used my trusty Thot-b-gone greatsword...

pinkcaitgang

Feb 3, 2022
I feel like my charmer character is stronger than pre-patch and I like it

Reactions: Lotus

Aelana

Apr 16, 2020
I feel like my charmer character is stronger than pre-patch and I like it

I am still on the fence about it. I don't think charmer got a true buff, but tease damage now synergizes with normal damage, where before it didn't.

The good part is now my charmer synergizes with everybody and i don't need to built a team for teasing.

The bad part is my team choices matter less, because my charmer synergizes with everybody.

I dunno yet, but song of splendor has become less useful, which is the best thing that happened for tease builds. It is still strong, but not mandatory.