That new Psychic class Fen is working on - psychic-specific story choices

RoninFive

May 30, 2020
I'm willing to work on this, since I'm pretty sure it's not going to be particularly difficult - though I will need to learn exactly how to make specific buttons edit flags, but after reading through the short description on the release I focused on this part:

"a Steele that can reach into other’s minds at will and exert his own mental pressure on other NPCs requires a game bespoke tailored to that sort of experience – something we aren’t doing."

I don't think it's necessary for it to be tailored to psychics - we can instead have backwards-tailored psychics. Instead of making the content fit psychics, you make psychics fit the content. Every other class only has a few specific things they can do thanks to being that class - so let's say Steele can only use their mind powers to nudge things in the direction they want, and only in some situations. Kind of like the jedi mind trick - not really mind control, just things that might have happened anyway, being nudged into happening.

For example: on Mhen'ga, say you can bypass the Zil pacification on Penny's first encounter. Make them stand down without fighting or submitting to them. On Tarkus, be able to break out of hypnosis from the salamander hypnotist (i forget their name..), etc. - things that are already programmed to happen one way or another, just able to skip. Same way engineers can skip bypasses sometimes.

I'd also make it so any major choices can be made to go the opposite way of what you chose - say you accidentally picked the wrong things to entice Taivra -> after defeating her, you're not locked into making her submit to you, you can still offer marriage. Say you wanted to make her submit to you after you've already enticed her into being open to marriage - similarly, allow that to happen with a psychic button after picking the correct choices to entice Taivra.

It wouldn't actually influence any content in a major way - it's the exact same outcomes, it's not creating extra situations. Just like other classes, you can just skip some things. Basically the gimmick of it is save-scumming without saving and loading and skipping some content if you want. Nowhere near game-changing. Obviously wouldn't be available to any boss fights, the game still has to be a game.

I'm perfectly fine with writing short stubs of text that describe it happening for any of the given situations people would want a skip / choice change for, and coding new buttons and assigning them the right flags - but I'd need to know exactly how the game is programmed. An example of a dialogue's programming language (one that also has flags and a requirement for the button to show up in the first place) would probably be enough to get me started.

Skunkupine

Jun 17, 2023
I'd just like to be able to ignore the Slavebreakers trying to get me to let them blow me, and resist the various psychic attacks in the game.
Maybe some changes on the Frostwyrms - be able to start communicating at their level.
How about a training sequence for a non-psychic Steele, where somebody like Synphia trains them to increase their psychic resistance and to communicate with the Wyrms better.
None of that should have large impacts on game play - it's either just changing text or using existing mechanics.

RoninFive

May 30, 2020
Being able to ignore slavebreakers is a good idea, but changes on frostwyrm would imply new content tailored for psychics, which is what they said they don't want to do. What I'm proposing is adding things that don't alter the current content - the outcomes are already available, psychic would just offer a way to get them without meeting the normal requirements. Could even have a jab at the cousin on mhen'ga, instead of talking it out or insulting them, which both end in combat, you could taunt them psychically, which ends in the same result - combat.

Skunkupine

Jun 17, 2023
Being able to ignore slavebreakers is a good idea, but changes on frostwyrm would imply new content tailored for psychics, which is what they said they don't want to do. What I'm proposing is adding things that don't alter the current content - the outcomes are already available, psychic would just offer a way to get them without meeting the normal requirements. Could even have a jab at the cousin on mhen'ga, instead of talking it out or insulting them, which both end in combat, you could taunt them psychically, which ends in the same result - combat.
With regards to the Frostwyrms - I don't propose the concept of training to communicate be only psychic class; everybody should be able to train for it. It wouldn't allow the character to to anything to anybody other than their Qims, so it just modifies the text a bit.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
I'd just like to be able to ignore the Slavebreakers trying to get me to let them blow me, and resist the various psychic attacks in the game.
Isn't that what Willpower is for? Or do you mean just no-sell regardless of Will because Psychic?

Skunkupine

Jun 17, 2023
Isn't that what Willpower is for? Or do you mean just no-sell because Psychic?
Even if you resist them and fuck them, Steele still picks up dominance from the Slavebreaker, and eventually that overwhelms Steele. Ideally I want to be able to mentally say "Fuck you (literally)!" and not pick up the dominance.
Of course there's always Throbbing her up, but...
OT: I think it would be great if a fertile Steele could get pregnant from a Throbbed up Slavebreaker. The argument could be made that even if the Slavebreakers are on Steriliex, their newly aquired male bits may not be affected by it.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
The increase only seems to happen if you do something other than fuck her mouth. It does seem kind of odd that Submission always increases, regardless of Steele's Willpower. Personally, I'd add a check to see if Steele can resist. I would say give a bonus to Psychics, but they'll be incentivized to max out Willpower anyway. In any case, winning and leaving is a fairly large reduction.
Vaginal: +4
Cunnilingus: +3
Defeat her: -5
Leave: -10
If you want to check it yourself: flags['SLYVEREN_SUBMISSION']

1. How about a Willpower contest to free the Lureling's Essyra instead of having to Smack her? You still fight the Lureling, because it's not happy to lose it's slave.
2. The Janeria is also psychic.
3. Could slightly change the requirements to start a relationship with the Frostwyrm. IIRC, Steele has to win 3 times, then lose. If Steele is a Psychic, that might make them more attractive to the Frostwyrm.
4. RE: taunting the Cousin. Rather than being a telepathic taunt, I'd suggest changing it to be more personal. Hit a deep-seated insecurity or the like. You might need Fenoxo's input for this. Maybe it has something to do with the custom Transformative on Dhaal. Foreshadowing!
5. Is there anybody trustworthy that Steele normally doesn't have any reason to trust, but dialogue has Steele go along with them anyway? Telepathy might make it more plausible.

RoninFive

May 30, 2020
There isn't really as far as I know anyone who doesn't trust steele but grows to trust them (Rhyia technically, but she's a bit of a mystery on whether or not she trusts PC).

Anyway, those go a bit too deep I think. The only feasible way to introduce Psychic skips, when the game is not tailor-made for them, would be to just have it be an alternative to already existing scenarios. Resisting slavebreaker, maybe possible - just have the psychic option not increase the mindbreak flag.

Maybe there could be a Frostwyrm skip, defeat once then attempt to telepathically communicate, initiating the exact same stuff as if after 3 fights, but with only 1 fight required, and no loss required.

Janeria I don't think has any real content as far as I know, just the combat bit, and it's specifically designed to be a challenging boss to fight. I don't think it would be in the spirit of that, to mess with it with psychic abilities.

The Essyra, at most, could maybe initiate the combat with a psychic prompt as opposed to physically hurting them - you try to free them but fail, and the mind controller bursts up to fight you to make sure you stop trying. Freeing the essyra would realistically create new non-mind controlled essyra you could encounter, and apart form the shop owners, that's not a thing. So I'd just make it a way to fight the mind controllers without smacking the poor essyra.

Again, they've already said they don't want to add psychic-specific content because it would require making the game with that in mind, which they didn't and aren't going to. What I'm suggesting is treating it the same as all the other classes - a prompt here and there that ends up with the same result if you didn't have the prompt and did it the hard way. Sneaking past the turrets on tarkus as a smuggler, tech-overrides on some doors for tech, etc - they're not things that only those classes can go through. If you don't sneak past the turrets, you fight them. If you don't tech-override, you do the puzzle. Same end result.

Anyway, I can't get started on any of this without official sanction I don't think, so I'm still waiting for that.

Last edited: