Techs: Yet another nerf

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Tech's Detonator attacks are AOE, actually.
It's true that the detonator attacks are AoE, but the AoE damage is such a small fraction of the direct damage that it is actually better to just attack the enemies individually.

On top of that it only effects, at the most, three enemies, which is distinctly un-helpful in the multiple fights with four or more enemies.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Actually, both of Tech's AoEs become pretty good once you take their lv10 trait. The catch is that the other option is the 5% crit while shields r up, a.k.a. permanent +5% crit.

I trust the more valuable of the two should be obvious.

Its a shame that the AoE enhancement can't be swapped with the lv9 drone trait. Lv9's chosen perks are flat out useless atm.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Hmm maybe those both detonator attacks could be made more into fitting AoE attacks than req. lvl 10 perk to make then noticable usefull?

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
I think of techies as akin to Shadowrun deckers, they specialize in technology and can enhance and do shit others can't. I think that's the whole point behind the class and what sets them apart from the other two.
That sort of general mindset is at the core of it but then there isn't a good answer to "so what does that mean in practice?". If more of the enemies were high tech then they could be more of a defined buff/debuff class but since 90% of the enemies are low tech (and then they don't even get any option in fights against mechs and power armored opponents and so on) their feats that were headed in that direction aren't all that useful. And since TiTS doesn't have many skill checks they can't be a viable utility class, either.

With the way the game is I'd say adjust Mercs and Techies so that Techs are the more tanky class (high shields and more sophisticated armor but low health), abandon this energy weapon pigeonholing, and make drones and shield superiority standard features of the class so that they can line up with the other two and split along melee/ranged lines - specifically melee-based drone focus (attack feats can be combination strikes in conjunction with the drone so their "attack twice" options are based around those, balanced by a lack of reliable energy renewal options) or ranged-based drone focus. Then Mercs can have high health but less sophisticated protection so that they're strong in short fights but struggle in longer ones - high attack, mid defense, low versatility - while the techs can't end fights as quickly but show their strength in longer engagements - low attack, high defense, mid versatility.

Aullama

Creator
Dec 12, 2016
Complain all you want, but at least Tech has meaning to levels 9 and 10. Merc is mostly for mechanics barely in the game as is.

Also, Tech has all the weapons.

Last edited:

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
Complain all you want, but at least Tech has meaning to levels 9 and 10. Merc is mostly for mechanics barely in the game as is.

Also, Tech has all the weapons.
Levels 9 and 10 are a bandaid. Other than that, tech has energy weapons and litlle else, drones have a big, fat CONTENT UNDER CONSTRUCTION sign hanging on them, about every other ability is met with cries of outrage and frustration from the forums.

Reactions: Zavos

Aullama

Creator
Dec 12, 2016
Levels 9 and 10 are a bandaid. Other than that, tech has energy weapons and litlle else, drones have a big, fat CONTENT UNDER CONSTRUCTION sign hanging on them, about every other ability is met with cries of outrage and frustration from the forums.

You get a major buff when new levels come out and call it a bandaid? Sure it doesn't fix techs at level 8. But level 8 isn't the 'meta' anymore. Also, the vast majority of viable weapons are energy weapons that mercs can't do jack shit with. So how is that "little else"? Techs are hardly the underpowerd class like they used to be; their abilities having far more power to them than the merc's - Power Surge alone restores 50%+ of shields and restores energy to boot.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
@Aullama Valid point. Mercs are better than Techs at lv8, but don't recieve anything during levels 9 and 10, while Techs get one of our key abilities, Advanced Shielding, at lv9. Your equips also havn't aged well and there is no noteworthy kinetic equips added in the last few months, aside from your Samorian weapons which in themselves suffered a nerf.

It still doesn't change the fact that we effectively lost one of our best skills during the lv9 update.

Last edited:

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
@Zevos @Aullama Now hold up, Mercs get Rending Attacks, which lets Power Strike decrease enemy defense by 50% and Rapid fire staggers enemies. That's massive, and Lunge isn't a waste either. Several of the Merc 9 & 10 skills are rather useless at the moment, but you can't say that they got nothing. The lack of powerful kinetic weapons is a valid complaint, but with the complete lack of any new top level enemies, it's rather irrelevant, as mercs already had no problem breezing through the toughest the game had to offer.

Power Surge now appears to be a Tech version of Second Wind (although I just eyeballed the numbers), including the once-per-battle rule, so I don't know how that can said to be overpowered.

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Shhhhhhh...rending strikes is perfectly fine.

(Picture related: my ranged merc vs Chaurmine not using any healing implements or wearing anything that could be considered armor, using only Rapid Fire to attack. I did use second wind to restore energy though so I could keep spamming :p )

chaurmine_faceroll.png

im-a-fucking-genius-you-cant-be-hurt-if-they-cant-fight-back.jpg

Reactions: ShySquare

Aullama

Creator
Dec 12, 2016
@Zevos @Aullama Now hold up, Mercs get Rending Attacks, which lets Power Strike decrease enemy defense by 50% and Rapid fire staggers enemies. That's massive, and Lunge isn't a waste either. Several of the Merc 9 & 10 skills are rather useless at the moment, but you can't say that they got nothing. The lack of powerful kinetic weapons is a valid complaint, but with the complete lack of any new top level enemies, it's rather irrelevant, as mercs already had no problem breezing through the toughest the game had to offer.

Power Surge now appears to be a Tech version of Second Wind (although I just eyeballed the numbers), including the once-per-battle rule, so I don't know how that can said to be overpowered.

If we're going to dismiss things because current content can be breezed through, then we might as well dismiss every problem with every class. I had just as easy of a time playing tech as I did merc. And yes, this was before level 9. I can only imagine how much easier it is now.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
If we're going to dismiss things because current content can be breezed through, then we might as well dismiss every problem with every class. I had just as easy of a time playing tech as I did merc. And yes, this was before level 9. I can only imagine how much easier it is now.
Nah, screw that idea. Try playing tech with the the old level caps and getting through Karaquest 2 as quickly as a merc or even a smuggler can.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Lv8 Karaquest runs are much harder than they were a month ago. With the loss of some dps and major sustainability RIP Volley, D. Regen, we're pidgeonholed into flashing our tits to walk away with our hides intact.

Or we could just sell Kara to Amara. She has it coming, right?

Freed85

Aug 31, 2015
I recently did a lv8 tech run of Karaquest. It felt like a breeze until I promptly crashed into the brick wall that is Amara but would just barely pull it off using overcharge, power surge, and the gravidic disruptor depending on if I didn't get stunned to death, I give the fight a 4/5 tamwolf upgrades because "just die already!"

Last edited:

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Yeah I did do a lvl 8 run as well a bit back after the update. She's still very much a bitch and a half to fight.

Still want to bang her...

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Lv8 Karaquest runs are much harder than they were a month ago. With the loss of some dps and major sustainability RIP Volley, D. Regen, we're pidgeonholed into flashing our tits to walk away with our hides intact.

Or we could just sell Kara to Amara. She has it coming, right?

You must use the whole buffalo, yes. Assuming the buffalo is fighting.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
How did you manage that? I'm still at 38%. Are you counting the Cloak and Dagger, and Stealth Generator perks?
Melee: 8
Gun: 5
Armor: 5
Accessory: 10
Lucky Breaks: 10
Agility: 14
Improved Agility: 10
Hollow Bones (birds ftw): ???

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
About evasion - only Primitve Bow giving evasion bonus or some other range weapon also have it?

(Wow a lively exchange of pointers between tech and merc players xD)