[Submitted] New Starting Race: Half-Saurmorian

Liz the Lizardfolk

Feb 7, 2018
Hello all!

With Aullama's permission, I have created a new starting race for the player, allowing their mother to be a Saurmorian! Here is a link. Please evaluate and critique honestly!

I'm new at this, and it was not an easy thing to make for me, but nevertheless, I hope it's well loved.

Big thanks to Savin for sharing with me their submission document for the Gryvain as a starting race; it was a really useful starting point!

Big thanks also to Aullama for allowing me to write and submit this.

Linarahn

Jan 6, 2017
Are you sure about the human ears in combination with a reptilian muzzle? It looks so weird when I try to picture it! I could see a visual approach similar to how Ovir look working for a Saurmorian starter, with the ears being something other than human (lizard earholes or something elfin as a substitute) and a human-shape mouth full of fangs instead of a long lizard snout (to emphasize the hybridity).

But that's just my two cents, I'm looking forward to this otherwise!

Dragonice

Oct 7, 2017
Not to be rude but didn't the devs say the starting races are set and the rest is up to editing? I'm not sure if this'll get into the starter races even if it's liked or good. That's why herms aren't part of the genders in the beginning.

Liz the Lizardfolk

Feb 7, 2018
Are you sure about the human ears in combination with a reptilian muzzle? It looks so weird when I try to picture it! I could see a visual approach similar to how Ovir look working for a Saurmorian starter, with the ears being something other than human (lizard earholes or something elfin as a substitute) and a human-shape mouth full of fangs instead of a long lizard snout (to emphasize the hybridity).

But that's just my two cents, I'm looking forward to this otherwise!
Human ears is for a couple of reasons. First, the traits Aullama thought would be most prevalent were the muzzle, tail, and scales. As such, reversing it is out (he's the race's author, and I want to be respectful of that). This leads into the second part: the TF Aullama submitted recently lists what traits give a Saurmorian score; even as a Half-Saurmorian with what traits I did include, the starting race's presets put your Saurmorian score at 4-5, and so any more points risks the PC being counted as a full Saurmorian right from the start. Therefore, while colors, etc. are correct for the racial, some physical traits had to be the human versions.

Not to be rude but didn't the devs say the starting races are set and the rest is up to editing? I'm not sure if this'll get into the starter races even if it's liked or good. That's why herms aren't part of the genders in the beginning.
You've not played with a Kui-tan nor a Gryvain as your mother then, have you? The gender options are determined by your mother's race; Gryvain are a H/F race while Kui-tan are a M/H race, and as such for those two races those are the gender choices. (^_^)

As for your question, before I even started writing this, I messaged Savin about it to not only ask if they had any tips for starting this document, but also whether or not it was even allowed, and Savin shared the Gryvain's submission document with me the very next day. Unless things have changed in the past couple months, I'm pretty sure it's still allowed.

Linarahn

Jan 6, 2017
Aah, I see!

Yeah, my bad, I forgot to take into account that you said it's someone else's race. At least I'll be able to fiddle with it once it gets into the game!

Dragonice

Oct 7, 2017
Whoops I got the two games confused by accident. It was the other game that the starter characters were set my bad. :oops:

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Regarding the whole muzzle with human ears thing...
06e.png

Last edited:

Aullama

Creator
Dec 12, 2016
Regarding the whole muzzle with human ears...
06e.png

But in all seriousness - when it comes to the human ears on saurmorian face... You do still have the scales, so you could easily just figure that a half breed's ears might come out something like this
SCALEDEAR.jpg

Last edited: