[SPOILERS] Spoopquest! Specter of the Wyld Thread

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Hi! I feel like maybe for a bit we should keep spoopquest stuff in a single thread? I dunno. I have to talk about it and I feel like a thread's a good place to do that.

Maybe if you need help doing the quest, you can come in here and ask! I have some hints.

Don't try to punch the ghosts. They're ghosts. Use magic.

When Tobs tells you to do something in a fight, listen.

If you have mirror magic, use it. There's some good shit in here. Athel in particular has a few cool moves for you.

Anyway, that stuff aside...about the dungeon. It was good. Short and sweet, fairly clever. I brought a mirror tank, which made life pretty easy; didn't even take the companions off auto. The hardest part was, well...

obyN6hb.png

2hjnzu3.png

I feel weird about telling this story, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

My grandma died earlier this year. Despite everything about, well, this year, I was able to visit her before the end, and...we um...we never had a bad relationship. I loved her. I spent time with her when I could, even though I didn't live super close. We did crossword puzzles. We talked about teaching, because we've both done that. I took her to Olive Garden, because she liked Olive Garden a lot. We went on a weeklong grandma/granddaughter car trip adventure once and had an incredibly good time.

So, on that last visit, after several hours of normal conversation, when it comes close to the time to leave for good, she starts to lose it and I start to lose it because she starts trying really hard to tell me how much she loves me and she's proud of me, like she's absolutely desperate to make sure that I know before she's gone, even though we're good, we're always good, we've always been good and there's never been any reason for me to even come close to thinking that she doesn't love me, and I'm telling her and hoping to any god you pick that she understands and believes me and knows how much I love her back.

She said she did.

Anyway, clicking on [Etheryn] after the Athel fight ripped me in half. I couldn't even make it past the part where Ryn tells her grandmas about Alissa without bawling my eyes out.

I'm glad I eventually made it to the end. The end was good. Raw, but good.

I guess...uh...what did everybody else think? Good quest? Bad quest? Lore? Lumia? Valkyries? Quest rewards?

Last edited:

mott

Dec 18, 2019
I'm having trouble getting the quest to start. Any suggestions there would be great

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
You need to have completed the Palace of Ice dungeon, met Hethia on her return after completing that dungeon, and set foot inside the Glacial Rift. After that, the quest should start on your next visit to the palace.

loricd

Apr 8, 2019
I just completed it awhile ago. I thought it was challenging enough. Especially considering my tanks (Tugs and Arona) were separated from me from the start.

It was kinda short though it would seem. By the way, is the basement area (when you go through the trap door) actually winable? I couldn't see any way to take out that last encounter. At least the way my party was configured.

Still it was fun. I did enjoy it and definitely had a nice Halloweeny type feel to it.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
By the way, is the basement area (when you go through the trap door) actually winable? I couldn't see any way to take out that last encounter. At least the way my party was configured.

You cannot win that fight. You must either press Surrender or Defend; the text of the fight makes it pretty clear the ghosts don't want to fight you, but they DO want to keep you away from their stuff. At least before getting their final wishes met.

Spoiler: emotions

oof. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it regardless. Sorry for the feels.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
I am wondering if Kas's presence in the Palace and upheaval from the loss of almost Pale Elf nobility disturbed those restless spirits enough to wake them up in the first place...

Enjoyed it, but dang, that Queen kept summoning more and more as the fight drags on. Thanks Savin~

Reactions: Salomon

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I am wondering if Kas's presence in the Palace and upheaval from the loss of almost Pale Elf nobility disturbed those restless spirits enough to wake them up in the first place...

In context I think it's more because they let the dirty hippies Hethia and her druids back in.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
I mean, she destroys the treasury, not the economy, but yeah.

ISOÆTE

Sep 12, 2020
Oh.
Oooooh.
Yeah I totally knew there was a deep emotional payoff for Etheryn, because I definitely chose the options that weren't banging Ryn's grandparents on the spot.
No I'm only doing the dungeon again because I want to test what new spells I can steal with mirror stance and absolutely nothing else quit asking.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
A Ryn-tastic spooky dungeon? It's like Halloween and Christmas came early this year! And that's not the only thing that's come... I just started the dungeon with my catboi Champ and ran into the ghost harem. I've never been so happy to lose an obviously unwinnable fight before, especially with Ryn getting the royal treatment there. Sorry that your sister wasted the royal treasury and we can't afford to maintain the kind of harem your ancestors enjoyed but going forwards the champ and Cait shall strive to make up in enthusiasm what they lack in numbers!

Now onwards to actual plot stuff...

Reactions: Salomon and Savin

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Nerves of Steel, Banshee Wail, Diving Shot and Bark Skin along with another chance at Diving Thrust via tome, any other kewl pew pew powers I missed?

Sense isn't always a 100% for me. :ghost:

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Nerves of Steel, Banshee Wail, Diving Shot and Bark Skin along with another chance at Diving Thrust via tome, any other kewl pew pew powers I missed?

Sense isn't always a 100% for me. :ghost:
Driving Shot/Thrust, not Diving Shot/Thrust.

There's a passel of old moves that you can get from Synne and the Valkyrie adds, but most people have them already.

Sadly, you can't get Sun Arrow yet. Maybe for the Valkyrie godservant TF.

Reactions: Savin and sumgai

Lukistr

Mar 18, 2019
This was a really fun dungeon.
I also have to say I absolutely love that you can
use banishment on the ghosts and get a slightly different end

Last edited:

GraphiteCrow

Apr 6, 2020
So I have yet to figure out what to do with the Sunlight Circlet, I have gone to every blacksmith I know and I am not wondering am I meant to take it to the Dungeon where you get Brint's new gear?

As for what I felt about the Dungeon? was fun, I liked that I could practically romance every ghost... especially while I had Ryn watch :p. the only problem I had was that I forgot to change my build as I was acting as a Tank so so I could level up Kiyoko so I was running around with a shield and Thorn whip... that really tanked my damage so even assassinate did jack all to the queen XD so the only problem I had was self-inflicted, I was able to win luckily it was just by the skin of my teeth.

DaisukeKaiser

Apr 23, 2020
Spoiler: Circlet
I asked on the discord server and no one else could figure it out so it's assumed it just hasn't been implemented yet

As for my thoughts on the dungeon it was a lot of fun, though I feel Savin and co missed a golden opportunity to spook us with a jumpscare or an audio scream of some type Please don't actually story wise it was interesting how the plot played out and seeing both Elthara's and Hethia's reactions to how the champ handles things was funny. I chose to romance my way through this time solely cuz I'm a horndog and wanted the smut. But I do plan to see the alternative way to handle everything later. What else? Uhm.. I'm curious how it works out with this being a yearly dungeon, like does the dialogue change any after the first run through or is the same and everyone basically ignores it? Anyway in conclusion I give this holiday dungeon a solid 10/10.

GraphiteCrow

Apr 6, 2020
I asked on the discord server and no one else could figure it out so it's assumed it just hasn't been implemented yet

That's a shame, a unusable dungeon reward feels a bit disappointing. I had hoped with this being a public patch that the entire event beginning to reward would be complete. I will not judge them though, the event looked like a lot of work, and getting it out before Halloween must have been an ordeal.

ISOÆTE

Sep 12, 2020
Uhm.. I'm curious how it works out with this being a yearly dungeon, like does the dialogue change any after the first run through or is the same and everyone basically ignores it? Anyway in conclusion I give this holiday dungeon a solid 10/10.
This is a stand-alone story event they decided to release on Halloween because ghosts, not an actual Halloween event. It's not considered a holiday event in-game and will trigger even if you have holiday events turned off. This means it's not irl date sensitive or recurring, just a one off thing like every other dungeon.

Dark Sage Pandora

Oct 26, 2020
I really enjoyed the new dungeon especially the scene with the ghosts. Ryns banshee ancestor ghost art was way hot. Etheryn is my favorite character so her getting all this content is dope. Thanks for the Halloween fun!

Reactions: Alypia

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I did a couple runs with different combinations of champions to see all the smutty fun before doing a run where you do everything 'right' in plot terms, wanted to save the inevitable tearjerker for last, especially given how every other resolution points out that just maybe you missed an opportunity to let Etheryn and her grandmothers have a talk. That was just... awwwwwww. I'm glad nobody slipped up about the whole 'your other granddaughter's now a demon and by the way the kingdom's bankrupt', let the pair go off to their eternal rest together and happy. And the two of them telling Ryn they're proud of her is just the sort of thing she needs, even on runs where she's already at high Confidence. Lovely that she finally got some familial love, however brief.

Also, I'm with Ryn when it comes to her reaction to My Grandma, What A Big Cock You Have and muttering that it just isn't fair. It's okay Ryn, we'll get that cage off of you one of these days, and make sure you have a royal sceptre worthy of an elvish queen...

Oh, one other thing from this dungeon, I loved the Elthara/Hethia interactions. I know that Savin has previously mentioned that something planned for another character is:
being able to set up Azzy and Liaden ad a couple
I would totally be down for something like that happening with these two at a future date where we can help get the two of them to admit what they're feeling but are too stubborn to admit. :D

That's a shame, a unusable dungeon reward feels a bit disappointing. I had hoped with this being a public patch that the entire event beginning to reward would be complete.
It took considerably beyond a public patch cycle for somef post-Winter City content to get implemented (to the tune of four months before Jael'yn reappeared) so it's not like it should be a huge surprise that this might not be finished yet. Especially if it's not an item like the other shinies you can loot but has some sort of plot significance and might be dependent on content completely unrelated to the dungeon.

Last edited:

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
It took considerably beyond a public patch cycle for somef post-Winter City content to get implemented (to the tune of four months before Jael'yn reappeared) so it's not like it should be a huge surprise that this might not be finished yet. Especially if it's not an item like the other shinies you can loot but has some sort of plot significance and might be dependent on content completely unrelated to the dungeon.
I mean, we haven't gotten the Captain's Greatsword all fixed up yet, either.

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
I'm a fair bit late on this, but I wanted to throw my two cents about the dungeon in here when I finally got around to doing it.

I actually really enjoy it! I'm not a massive elf fan (or a Ryn fan, chastity cages turn me off hardcore) but the dungeon itself was well-made and it feels very nice to be able to actually play something normal for once. Generally all the new dungeons have been for the max level cap, but having something a little lower on the bar is nice, not just for relaxation sake but also for new characters still needing to level up. Hope we get more similar dungeons in the future. Playing the dungeon kinda makes me regret not grabbing mirror stance due to the incompleteness of the quest revolving around it, but I'm still kinda on the fence as to whether it should exist anyways.

Back to the point, awesome dungeon, good work. Gib more please.

Reactions: Kesil and Savin