Spiraled Blade vs Spiraled Staff

Which spiraled weapon do you prefer?

• Total voters

Squirrelwagon

Jun 15, 2016
At the beginning of Berwyn’s recruitment quest, you get a choice between two weapons he can create for you, the Blade or the Staff.

I know that CoC2 is structured in such a way that no weapon is entirely better than any other, but I am wondering which of the two others ended up going with and why.

Are there some builds that work better with one over the other? Is it simply a question of preferring one type of damage more?

I personally went with the Spiraled Blade myself since I play a charmer, don’t really focus on my strength so much, and figured that cycling through different damage types would be fun.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
I like the blade, just because that's how I roll. But I switched to the whip when I cleared the hornet hive, since I like to keep my strategy consistent.

Seduction starts weak, but grows to be pretty formidable as a way to take out high-level bosses after a while. Very little can resist the loss of their blue bar as long as they can the loss of the red one.

Reactions: QualityCuntrol

rafabud

Nov 27, 2019
I went for the blade mainly because I started out with raw melee. after the Hornet Nest and the Convocation of Mirrors I switched to a Seduction/AoE style so I grabbed the Pheromone Shield and went back to the Sanctified Gladius. didn't like the whip too much, too little red damage and not enough blue damage.

QualityCuntrol

Nov 12, 2019
Staff! Partly because I tend towards playing support characters like Charmers, but also partly because I enjoy the mental image of whacking things with a stick. I do have some playthroughs that choose the sword, but only when it suits their personality and fighting style.

Reactions: Shanghai_Hourai

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I took the staff because I’m a Black Mage. I’m sure Blade would have been awesome for non-casters though. ;)

RubixCube

Feb 18, 2020
I personally took the sword, mostly because it being classed as a catalyst and it's supporting stats as such fit the spellblade build I've made for my character. Not a huge fan of the different elemental damage each day, but it rarely makes a difference (most notable difference is doing slightly more damage when it decides to to blight damage, seeing as most enemies are weak to blight to some extent).

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Went with the sword for my Thief Champion (then put it in storage in favor of the Sanctified Gladius for general use) and the staff for my Black Mage, which hasn't come off them since. I'll probably start a third file with a Charmer since that seems like it would be fun (and I want a run where I can play with higher Corruption regularly and it feels like it would be a fun combination both for gameplay and mental roleplaying) but I'm not sure whether the sword would be a better fit for the melee damage or the staff for synergy with their abilities, from what I saw of their starting skills on a test run. Guess I'll know more once I've played around with the class a bit.

Barakiel

Oct 6, 2019
Just take the sword for the sick buff, spent all your points on willpower, learn the magic smite evil from the White mage class, with that you will be able to kill enemies instantly... mostly

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
Just take the sword for the sick buff, spent all your points on willpower, learn the magic smite evil from the White mage class, with that you will be able to kill enemies instantly... mostly

Additionally, take Charge Weapon, Whitefire, Group Heal and Unbreakable and you basically have yourself a Paladin.
*Oath of Conquest Pally bursts into Kervus Warcamp/Kitsune den.* "Will you hear the word of our Lord and Master Torm the Hand of Righteousness? No!? SssssssssMITE!!"

Last edited:

Barakiel

Oct 6, 2019
Additionally, take Charge Wapon, Whitefire, Group Heal and Unbreakable and you basically have yourself a Paladin.
*Oath of Conquest Pally bursts into Kervus Warcamp/Kitsune den.* "Will you hear the word of our Lord and Master Torm the Hand of Righteousness? No!? SssssssssMITE!!"

THE TRUE AND LOYAL FURY, ONCE A HUMAN IN THE TIME OF THE FALL OF NETHERIL, HE DIED BUT ASCENDED INTO DIVINITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horny Demon

Dec 11, 2022
The double-whammy
Additionally, take Charge Weapon, Whitefire, Group Heal and Unbreakable and you basically have yourself a Paladin.
Oath of Conquest Pally bursts into Kervus Warcamp/Kitsune den. "Will you hear the word of our Lord and Master Torm the Hand of Righteousness? No!? SssssssssMITE!!"
God Damnit Starstruck. Now all I can think about is my Lupine warrior character going on a fucking crusade with Cait and Eryka (maybe also Atugia)

Reactions: Starstruck

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
God Damnit Starstruck. Now all I can think about is my Lupine warrior character going on a fucking crusade with Cait and Eryka (maybe also Atugia)
Good! As you should. Shame you can't recruit Eryka but if you're going to roleplay modelling your warrior on the Oath of Conquest/Vengeance you're gonna need someone else to run threat control, tui is a pretty good choice for it since she's a competent tank (though not good for much else atm sadly) and wouldn't collide with your Champion's values. I'm looking at you Arona!

arch99

Dec 24, 2019
Another 2.5 year necro without making an actual comment or asking any question, please do not do this.