Some Notes for my Fellow Writers

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
We can all agree that Anno is the best character and we all love and thank Savin for writing her. However, as much as I'd like to just straight up hijack this topic and make it about her, we should probably talk about all the other kind of huge things that just got (sort of) announced, like the fact that a whole new narrative is going to be included or the many ways in which we could possibly alter our ship and have awesome space fights and all that.

Honestly by this point I was expecting the whole Tainted Space thing to be just for the acronym, but now it's gonna be like an actual thing? Like, before I even played I thought it was gonna be some sort of mechanic like corruption in Corruption of Champions, how we could start as human or some other mostly humanoid race and slowly gain more Taint as we veer further away from our original genetic makeup or something like that? But yeah anyone else can't wait to find out what it actually means? What do you think it'll be? Will it tie into the whole factions system we've been teased with for months now?

Tainted Space is actually a area in the game that will be added later that is pretty much end game area. It's a heavily quarantined area of space with lots of bad shit going on (I'm only assuming this now.) Fen confirmed this at some point in the past few months, I just can't remember where it was posted or when.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Honestly by this point I was expecting the whole Tainted Space thing to be just for the acronym, but now it's gonna be like an actual thing?

No worries.  A work of science fiction has never had a thing that appeared near the last quarter of its storyline be a complete non-sequitur.  That would be ridiculous.

In seriousness, though, early TiTS draft docs mentioned Tainted Space as an actual place full of cosmic horrors and the like.  The final product will most likely be different in at least some ways, but we'll see when we get there in ~4 years.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I remember hearing something about it being TiTS' take on the Gray Goo style apocalyptic scenario, localized and sexualised ofc. Can't remember from whom or even when I heard that exactly though.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkullFace

Aug 11, 2016
I always wondered why the game was called Tainted Space. ya know, besides the acronym

Me too, "Tainted Space" would imply that something is ruining everything for everyone but everything seems fine.

There's a lot of writers here, maybe someone can open up a thread to help novice writers? 

SkullFace

Aug 11, 2016
I've toyed with this idea, but I've never come up with any kind of "condensed list" that would keep peoples' attention and actually be useful. Ted's post in Event Subs already outlines the basics of the basics in terms of like "don't start huge" and "seriously, don't start huge," but there is probably room for an actual in-depth set of tips about writing. The most important pieces are probably grammar, structure, and then cadence (stylistically speaking). Those three might be better described as "what words to use," "how to arrange the words you use," and "how to properly arrange multiple sets of words you have used to make them fun to read."

Again, though, the problem is that it would be very long and involved. If you get into the technicalities of writing and the English language, shit gets complicated fast.

I think you should do it. i understand its complicated but everything worth doing is.

Besides, you'll be helping people like me not poke our eyes out with the pen!

LoveofKink

Jun 5, 2016
@Savin

With boarding and group combat, wouldn't that also or possibly entail the possibility of who would jump in as well as the importance of who was on board as well? For example:

Anno, Syri (if or when she is introduced to join your crew), or even Emmy, seeing as she likely can fire a weapon just as well as the two aforementioned as well as being able to help pay her debt so that she can easily join you as well. Also, wouldn't that mean you can give them weapons to use as well? The same with gear, as armor or shields? Or have more storage caches on board for more items? (I've had coffee, I'm brainstorming a bit)

Not to mention (and no I'm not sure if this was covered anywhere) while talking to, I think it was Anno at one point, Steele mentions something of her coming with them and her response was along the lines of: "I dunno we have to see what fenoxo says" Which isn't an accurate quote. Though, would that mean at some point we'd be able to actually travel in a group with one of our crewmembers (not including Nova)?

I do remember that in the starting of the game, Victor did say, via post-mordem e-mail, that "you may get a new ship" so it was only a matter of time I think. Heh, kills my progress in writing a tech/mechanic-saavy Laquine that could sell or possibly modify an existing ship for fit an additional crew member at the cost of 7-15 game days! I even drew a bit of her out -even though I suck at adding color-. (also, I had a full inventory and un-equipped Nova...she then disappeared from my game, o_O  saved before I realized it. That's where that thought came from anyway.)

Also, is there a followup on Inessa and getting her belt removed or have I missed that? Plus, will there ever be a way to cure the Laquine race of the issue when it comes to their plague-like affliction?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Though, would that mean at some point we'd be able to actually travel in a group with one of our crewmembers (not including Nova)?

This has been repeatedly stated, it will never happen.  Party members can assist only in certain fights, such as Anno joining the fight in the Ice Queen miniquest.  This probably means some of them will help with boarding fights, but they will not travel around with you.

Also, is there a followup on Inessa and getting her belt removed or have I missed that?

No.

Plus, will there ever be a way to cure the Laquine race of the issue when it comes to their plague-like affliction?

Maybe but probably not, it's not on anyone's priority list that I know of.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
There's an Inessa expansion, yes.

LoveofKink

Jun 5, 2016
Oh and looking something up on the wiki, I saw that the Gryvain had a photo and I wondered, is it possible that we'd get to see our character in full gear say when your inspecting your character or is that an bit far-fetched as an assumption?

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Oh and looking something up on the wiki, I saw that the Gryvain had a photo and I wondered, is it possible that we'd get to see our character in full gear say when your inspecting your character or is that an bit far-fetched as an assumption?

From what I've heard and seen, Character Viewer proved to be a pipe dream that actively eats any person brave and foolish enough to try it, without providing much of anything in return.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
If you give me 6 figures I will give you a character viewer.

Also to everyone who keeps complaining about it being impossible: if you look at the Custom Reido games, they made very decent character customization assets, several years ago, for less money than Fen makes. It can be done, it would just require a whole lot more money that what is currently available for assets. Of course, with all that money, it'd be better to hire Gedan and Jacques full time.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
If you give me 6 figures I will give you a character viewer.

Also to everyone who keeps complaining about it being impossible: if you look at the Custom Reido games, they made very decent character customization assets, several years ago, for less money than Fen makes. It can be done, it would just require a whole lot more money that what is currently available for assets. Of course, with all that money, it'd be better to hire Gedan and Jacques full time.

You also need someone who's dedicated and won't just up and disappear like the last FEW folks who tried it.

LoveofKink

Jun 5, 2016
Disappear? o_O

Wouldn't understand why people would up and go ghost like that - assuming they outright went full ninja despite being paid to work (assuming). But I thought more along the lines base photo, like the Gryvain I mentioned earlier, and clothing added to that for example. Much like how character's pictures are subject to change upon current scene or after a transformation (like Lerris after breast augmentation).

As for 6 figures, that is a lot of food I could get. Pizza mostly, but a lot of food. Though if my luck strikes good after I move and hit the lottery, I will let you know.