Soldier's life (Completed)

pyorgara

Jan 13, 2016
Pyorgara,

I think from a game design perspective, there's an extremely sharp curve RNG wise for a beginner. No matter what choices they pick, a starting character has a low chance to win fights, low chance to persuade, and certain enemies in the starting zone will crush the main army in a single blow unless they devote 4 troops to infantry immediately. Beginners will likely get knocked down to 4 rep immediately, and stay there. Their persuasion also isn't high enough to avoid difficult frenemy colonel challenges, the crystal obelisk deletes skill as often as grants it. There's just a lot of things working against a new player until they get their fight skill up to 4, where they can reliably win challenge battle to raise their rep and have enough troops to steamroll zone 1. After that, the game seems pretty easy mode and grindy.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey owiercyn!

Thanks for the notes. I still need to do a full playthrough when I'm done writing scenes and will make sure everything scales up nicely. I'm not surprised that things seem a little wonky right now as I did minimal balancing on the new additions.

pyorgara

Jan 13, 2016
Hey everyone! Soldier's life is almost done and the votes are now opened for my patrons. As a nice bonus, you'll also get to play the "completed" game two months before it gets released to everyone. I say "complete" like that because the patron release currently has all the major scenes in it plus all the endings. I'll still spend next month going over it to tweak numbers, make sure there are no bugs and maybe add a little scene here and there if I find places lacking.

pyorgara

Jan 13, 2016
Last big update for Soldier’s life! My efforts will now go towards my next game: Hall monitor. Hope you guys enjoy my completed second game! There's also currently a vote for my patrons about the new art style if you want to have your voice heard.

Last edited:

daffyff

Feb 10, 2018
Hey pyorgara.

I've been playing your game "soldier's life" for a couple days now, and I've been really enjoying it. I look forward to breaking this ice queen. I have a few complaints, but nothing truly game breaking. Overall, great job and thank you :)

I did however, encounter a bug. I had finally gotten my reputation to 6 and was on a roll on a sortie raking in a huge sum of money. After returning to town, I immediately went to training and when I selected a training (persuasion level 1) all my golds disappeared!!!! I grinded so hard for that :( Some things I noticed: In the field I had accrued about 15k golds, and I had given 70% to the men. In town I had about 8k (I can't remember if I saw it at 8k before dividing the plunder or when I was actually in town).

I had gone back to the game to find out exactly when I see the amounts and got lost in the grind lol. but it happened again, this time at around 25k in the field, 13k left over to me, but instead of losing all of my golds I was left with 609. I'm going to try to repeat it and do a better job of keeping track of things.

foobart

Feb 22, 2017
I must be doing something wrong. This game feels so poorly balanced that I don't want to play it anymore. I can only maintain a rep of 5 by reloading until I win a battle, then going home and saving (Most battles are a loss). Even with a 'positive' rep, at some point I always drop from 11 troops to 9 and have no idea why. Training to just one war level above starting seems to require winning so much money that, given the other issues, the game just seems pointless.

Am I doing something wrong? This feels impressively poorly balanced.

Reactions: Frost

pyorgara

Jan 13, 2016
Hey pyorgara.

I've been playing your game "soldier's life" for a couple days now, and I've been really enjoying it. I look forward to breaking this ice queen. I have a few complaints, but nothing truly game breaking. Overall, great job and thank you :)

I did however, encounter a bug. I had finally gotten my reputation to 6 and was on a roll on a sortie raking in a huge sum of money. After returning to town, I immediately went to training and when I selected a training (persuasion level 1) all my golds disappeared!!!! I grinded so hard for that :( Some things I noticed: In the field I had accrued about 15k golds, and I had given 70% to the men. In town I had about 8k (I can't remember if I saw it at 8k before dividing the plunder or when I was actually in town).

I had gone back to the game to find out exactly when I see the amounts and got lost in the grind lol. but it happened again, this time at around 25k in the field, 13k left over to me, but instead of losing all of my golds I was left with 609. I'm going to try to repeat it and do a better job of keeping track of things.

I'm glad you're having fun with it!

As for the bug, I would be glad to hear if you can reproduce it while making sure about the money details. Also keep an eye on if you spend any while in the field. It's the first time that someone reports this so that's why I'm inclined to think that it was just a mistake. ^_^

I must be doing something wrong. This game feels so poorly balanced that I don't want to play it anymore. I can only maintain a rep of 5 by reloading until I win a battle, then going home and saving (Most battles are a loss). Even with a 'positive' rep, at some point I always drop from 11 troops to 9 and have no idea why. Training to just one war level above starting seems to require winning so much money that, given the other issues, the game just seems pointless.

Am I doing something wrong? This feels impressively poorly balanced.

Hmm... Yeah it shouldn't be that hard. Are you keeping yourself in the first section at first? The one closest to town. Make sure to put troops in your infantry as that's your army's HPs. Also, for the first 3 sorties, you get a few extra troops to play with as an "easy" mode. That's why it drops after a while.