Scenes that acknowledge your background/class?

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
So does anyone have a list or something of scenes that acknowledge the champion's chosen background or class? I know that it usually amounts to just a sentence or two being changed in a scene but I personally enjoy it when it gets acknowledged even in a just a small way. Any other little things that change based on your character race are welcome as well!

I'll throw down a few that I've noticed after playing a bit but I'd certainly appreciate it if other folks felt included their findings also.

1. Festivus ball: When dancing and mingling during the event the Champion will mention having dancing lessons and tutors from their time as a noble if they chose the 'noble scion' background.

2. Kinu Math lessons: When helping Kinu with her math homework the Champion will have a unique option on helping her with it personally if they have the appropriate background.

3. Kinu Weapon lessons (Part 1): During the Lady's Armaments initial scene when the Champion takes Kinu aside while Kiyoko goes off to calm down there is a minor change in dialogue between the Champion and their daughter depending on what sort of background the Champion has.

4. Kinu Weapon lessons (part 2): In part 2 of the Lady's Armaments scene when Kinu is sick The Champion has the option of helping to cure their daughter personally should they have the appropriate class/background. I haven't done that scene personally so I'm not sure what it requires but I'd guess it takes a white mage to unlock.

5. Kinu/kiyoko magic: There are a few scenes where the Champion is observing Kiyoko and Kinu doing magic stuff. I haven't experienced the difference myself as I like more martial characters but from the flavor text it seems like choosing something with more magic knowledge would allow the player to gleam more information from these scenes even if it is just extra fluff.

6. Logging Camp: If the Champion has the hunter background they can avoid the initial gauntlet style fight at the beginning of the dungeon.

7. Haven't personally experienced it but I seen it mentioned that there is a specific puzzle in a dungeon somewhere that can't be solved unless the player has Agnimitra with them or is a minstrel themselves.

8. Lots of changes with the Kitsune Settlement after you become one, too many to list here individually.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head but I'll probably come back here and add more as I think of them.

Last edited:

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
9. Valencia the manticore has a special option for training for folks with the soldier background

not sure how I missed that one in all my other saves honestly...

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
There are so many uses of the pc.bg, pc.cl and pc.ora parsers that you'd need direct access to the code to possibly count them all. We're talking triple digits, and that was over a year and a half ago.

For one recent example (via its design doc) LumiaQuest has half a dozen uses of pc.bg, some of which track single backgrounds while others look for multiple ones. Now extend that to every possible scene in the game...
7. Haven't personally experienced it but I seen it mentioned that there is a specific puzzle in a dungeon somewhere that can't be solved unless the player has Agnimitra with them or is a minstrel themselves.
Siorc trial cavern, though that's been changed in some way (haven't rerun it yet to know the specifics) to make it easier to acquire the item you receive from solving it.

Reactions: Cannibal Cravings

cloer

Jun 3, 2018
I feel like my rogue background has had a lot of influence on a lot of events where my character's dexterity came into play, without it being too obvious about it.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Checks for if your character is a mage has three pass conditions: Your class is black mage, your class is white mage, your background is arcanist.

AceofSpades

Apr 15, 2016
I think when you meet Carmen to receive the Champion title, if you have the Noble Scion background, you know how to properly greet her and get some extra flavor text about how wealthy her family is/was based on the specific decor she uses.

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
I think when you meet Carmen to receive the Champion title, if you have the Noble Scion background, you know how to properly greet her and get some extra flavor text about how wealthy her family is/was based on the specific decor she uses.
I know that if you go up to the castle to meet Atugia instead of waiting for her to show up by herself in town there is a minor dialogue change based on if the player has noble scion background or not. Carmen will make a comment about not appreciating foreign nobles showing up randomly and attacking her servant.

Majincotton

Oct 29, 2019
I try to go out of my way to find stuff like this cause I love when the writers do it. Off the top of my head:

I believe the Noble Scion has a scene where you do a drunk romp threesome with Rags and Hretha where they comment on the type of liquor

If you go get the cursed armor for Brint and are either an Arcanist or Scholar (or maybe just black or white mage in general?) the game comments that you can feel the magic too

While training with Rina, the Champ talks about their background in detail.

For Evelyn, if you're a Scholar or Noble Scion and you talk about books, there's a short sentence on it.

For the falling Boulder, if you're a black or white mage you can just shield the party from the falling boulder

Gutts

Sep 19, 2016
You make different comments to Vaush when asking him about his past if you’re a barbarian or soldier. Also if I remember correctly, when playing with Kinu in the forest as a barbarian you help her climb a tree to steal honey