Romancing the Kingdom .56 Free Release [Ren'py][Visual novel][18+][Female Protagonist]

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
Romancing the Kingdom, a game I’ve been working on for about over a year. This version is the latest, .56, which isn't (yet) free to the public - I'm sharing it early among a few adult communities to ensure I get quality feedback. This version has far less bugs, repetition & is much more polished.

Download links here, via Mega

Windows:

https://mega.nz/#!bF01hAzD!JTzj60YSUSqtxgNxGwUDzyC2WLCpgWbzmCuw8nm0tvw

Mac:

https://mega.nz/#!TBV3GThQ!TnQ-bCjmrcsrdO5nWpzx9CPvgZeqU2B2UCRt3Rta3B8

Linux:

https://mega.nz/#!LNNgRQIA!S6mVUobJuqyDbYCs-tX_H_O5-FHxxIbSiSHPZXWpAMk

A brief description of the game. Polly, heir to the throne, is anxious about her duties in ascending to such a responsibility. Among them, producing an heir, ruling and being with a man. Does she pursue her destiny, or does she carve her own path?

Key features:
Female protagonist, 3rd person omniscient POV (so you have some scenes from different characters perspectives), lesbian, three-some, hetero and other adult scenes with 30 FPS animation sequences for many of them. There are three main paths in the game, for the female protagonist: Lesbian only, skipping the hetero scenes, the "True Love," path, where it's Polly and Jack, or the "Failure," path, where Jack gets together with Briley.

The fourth update to this game in 2018, each update has had more than a hundred new renders & tons of new content. The game play is now through day 16 out of a planned ~30 days of game play.

Sample artwork from Romancing the Kingdom:
main_menu.jpg pollyandjackdungeon01.jpg

To learn more about Romancing the Kingdom, or my other games including Superspy Steve (complete) or Sword of Wonder, or my online games, visit my website's game page here.

Last edited:

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
Happy to answer any questions here or elsewhere; a quick note to say last month, I lost my step-father who had been battling numerous health issues, survived multiple heart surgeries & more. Still hurts a bit. That, of course, was almost a month after I lost my full time job.

On the positive side, living on savings and going broke has made me focus a lot more on game development (while job hunting of course).

Right now I'm preparing an update to Sword of Wonder, the parallel game from a male protagonist, first person perspective. From the first post, that has had a lot more interest than Romancing the Kingdom and is much more of a game, less visual novel. The latest about Sword of Wonder can always be found in the link above, same place as Romancing the Kingdom on my games page.

Ainonna

Jan 4, 2018
I assume that there will be consequences if Polly gets closer to Spring and/or Summer rather than Jack?
Great idea about Lucy and Lacey.
And, sorry to hear about your step-father.

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
@Ainonna yes, that is correct. There are a few core "Themes," in RtK (Romancing the Kingdom).

1) Polly and Jack, the "True love," story.
2) Polly and guards, the "harem," story.
3) Jack and Briley, the "I got screwed over by my step-sister," story.

By the time the game is done, endings will depend on scores achieved from the various characters, eg, which did you spend (not spend) time with, how high was the score, etc.

>Lucy and Lacey

Not everybody likes "Lesbian twins," so I do need to ensure there's a clear way to opt out in the future. The in-game options do make it crystal clear what might happen already but I'm not 100% sure that's enough. Still, from my image galleries on e-h here https://e-hentai.org/g/1090497/0aa1e1595d/ that's the most popular one (the one from RtK), with eleven thousand page-views. I am proud of that as it indicates people do enjoy my work.

>step-father
Thanks for the kind words.

Ainonna

Jan 4, 2018
But how can Jack/Briley be "I got screwed" if you say that you wouldn't mind sharing? Or if you say that you'd fuck Briley instead? Nevermind the "I would rather fuck Summer" statement. Or the fact that Polly promised Briley that she would bring her a man? Besides, shouldn't it be okay that Briley gets Jack? They still get heirs, and their rulership is continued?
Oh, and why only butt sex with Jack and Briley? Wouldn't Briley let Jack know that she wants kids?
And I found a few typos. Nothing ground-breaking, but still there.

Sorry for so many questions, but when I start asking, run for the hills, 'cause you'll otherwise be overrun by them.
P. S. : Also, if Polly chooses the "I would rather fuck Summer" answer, why wouldn't there be an answer in the city that she doesn't want a man at all?

Last edited:

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
Let's see:
>But how can Jack/Briley be "I got screwed" if you say that you wouldn't mind sharing? Or if you say that you'd fuck Briley instead?

The #3 ending option, above, is "Got screwed over by my step-sister," for both Jack and Briley...basically, it's the bloodthirsty, take out all your rivals ending.

>Besides, shouldn't it be okay that Briley gets Jack? They still get heirs, and their rulership is continued?

My logic here is that if they both end up pregnant, one or the other will end up trying to off their sibling.

>Oh, and why only butt sex with Jack and Briley? Wouldn't Briley let Jack know that she wants kids?

There's an oral scene as well, and yes, there will be regular sex if you choose the Jack / Briley options.
(not yet rendered by on my list)...

>why wouldn't there be an answer in the city that she doesn't want a man at all?
Because the core theme for RtK is that the women need heirs...so even if she doesn't want a man, she needs one, at least temporarily :)

Thank you for the questions, it helps solidify some of the "why," and "how," of the story. If you wouldn't mind sharing the typos, I can make sure they are fixed in the next .50 release, if they aren't already in the .45 (not sure if you played the latest, or 2nd most recent).

Ainonna

Jan 4, 2018
Well, there is one glaring typo: while you're talking to your mother in the throne room, "casaully" stands out prominently. I think that I saw a few other, but I would need to replay it to find them, and I am not exactly eager to do it.

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
K; fixed that one (not sure if in the .45, but definitely in the next .50 release) as well as another, "castel," was misspelled.

I'll do some digging on easy ways to do a spelling / grammar check in ren'py.

Ainonna

Jan 4, 2018
So, what will happen with Spring and Summer if Polly goes for the "Harem" ending? Do they become her consorts or something?

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
That's sort of the current idea for that path...but, I don't want to give away too many things that might be considered a spoiler :)

Ainonna

Jan 4, 2018
That's okay. With my conspiracy theorist mind even a small tidbit of info is more than enough.

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
I wanted to add the change log here as well, and I updated the initial post to include the link to the newly free, .45 version of the game (.50 was just released to select supporters earlier today).

First, what's new in the latest .45 update?

* My biggest monthly update for this game since I started. More support, and free time, means I've put in a lot more effort into making this a very fun update.

Some stats and a bit of detail so you know what's in the update:

88 new images in game (71 story, 30 animation) (compared to a total of 74 last month with animation, so a bit more visuals).

* 6 new riding to Camelot renders (previously just referred to as "the city,")

* 42 Camelot arrival and inn with Polly's interrogation of the Inn's staff

* 10 Camelot departure scene

* 9 new throne room scene

* 3 new travel / background images

* 1 new 30 frame animation (f/f oral scene)

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
I only realized today I never shared the .45 public release here, my bad entirely. The current public release is now the .50 version.

If you just want to download for free, get the links here. To learn more about the update, keep reading.

Change log about the update in the spoiler tag below.
Release notes (largest monthly update ever, the size of the prior two months updates combined):
210+ new images (two new animations)
  • 4 new throne room image series with Polly, Briley, Uma and Spring
  • 19 new images for travel to lake scene investigating the Sword story
  • 17 new images for return to stables, Polly and Spring chatting and informing the queen
  • 13 image series Polly and Spring exhibition fight
  • 30 images polly & jack riding, visiting Inn in the Woods
  • 24 images with Polly and Lucy (f/f strap-on)
  • 27 images Jack and Lacey (m/f oral, m receiving)
Scenes added & feature updates:
  • New return to castle scene after visiting the city, similar pan & tilt feature for travel as SoW
  • Added disclaimer to splash screen before main loads, also added Patreon button to main menu
  • Added new feature to ensure variable continuity so older saves from .45 will work on .50 and on-wards.
  • 400+ lines of text added to updatefour file;
  • 1236+ lines of text added to updatefive file.
  • For comparison, the new text added to this release is the same size as both of the prior two updates.
Other changes & improvements:
* Continuity with version .45 variables so saves from .45 will work with .50
* Updated one image in the "Briley stripping in the kitchen" series for consistency

Please let me know what you think, if you see any issues, etc. The images were almost all optimized for size and lossless quality which is why this update is also nearly 200mb smaller than the .45 release.

Ainonna

Jan 4, 2018
I have found a bug, and not a small one, too: the scenes with the sisters in the throne room appear to be unavailable for watching. It could be only my problem, but it's still worth checking. I d/l-ed the Win version of RtK.

P.S.: As well as one scene where Polly asks Spring to spy on Briley. It's possible that it doesn't exist with the Jack response, but I haven't checked.

Last edited:

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
Hi Ainonna and than you for playing my game!

The twin scene has been removed from the Patreon version; I'm trying to make sure everything that's released there is above board and follows their guidelines.

I may ask some nice person to provide a "Patch," so that the scene in question can be in a future release that way, we'll see.

For the "asks Spring to spy on Briley:"
That scene doesn't exist (yet) - in that path, I'll have to check, but it should make it clear that it marks the end of the .50 version of the game.

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
Uploaded the fixed version of .50 Romancing the Kingdom to my server and Mega, download links are on my patreon page if you haven't tried it yet.

Jill Gates

Jan 7, 2018
I've updated the starter post to include links to the Mega download of Romancing the Kingdom, 0.56, which is the very newest version of my game that's available. It won't go free to the general public for another few weeks so wanted to share it earlier, here, in the hopes of getting more feedback and ideas for improvement. Most of the repetition you may have seen, if you played previously, is gone, even from the Patreon supporter version from last month.

Change log for this version:
A few helpful people identified some bugs along the Briley path in Romancing the Kingdom; one of which resulted in a player only being able to experience the first ~9-11 days of content, instead of the full 16 days of content that's available in the current version. That was fixed in the release above the .56 but was present since the .5501 and earlier versions.

So I fixed those errors, updated the function to ensure that if you play from an older release it still works and also I swapped out ~20 or so images that I wasn't thrilled with from early in the game (prologue, also the repeating Polly & Jack kitchen scene).

Last, I've compressed more of the PNG images so the overall footprint of the file is a bit smaller.

If you're on a holiday weekend like me in the USA, perhaps getting a fun game to play makes the weekend better :) Enjoy!