Recommendations for 3DS games?

Arachne

Jan 14, 2016
So, I'm in the market for some new 3DS games. I've since become tired of my current ones and I'm looking for JRPG type games with some character custimization/creation or if it doesn't have those at least a female protagonist as the player character. 

So please tell me your recommendations, it's very much appreciated. 

Patrick R. Key

Nov 20, 2015
It's got some Roguelike elements. The game takes place in the first person, check out some videos for Etrian Odyssey IV if you'd like to have a look for yourself. 

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Rune Factory 4 and Fantasy Life. Both have lots of customization and are feMC capable. The former is similar to harvest moon but they added combat and sprinted with it (it's combat focused). The latter is similar in gameplay minus the love-interest, and is a pretty happy, easy-going game. Only the post game could be considered even remotely hard- I still had a ton of fun with it the whole way through. Both also have major crafting systems.

Gotta plug 'em Atlus titles too. The Devil Survivor remakes are both tactical rpgs with demons. Plenty of female characters, and lots of customization. Fusing is love. I would say smt4 as well, but a sequel has been announced and you may be better off waiting for it instead (smt4 is male MC only too).

Totally agree with Patrick on EO as well. It's... a pretty unforgiving series. EO4 is definitely the place to start. Don't forget to pet the deer!

Edit: EO is a first-person dungeon explorer. Town is menus only. Create up to 25 characters over 10 classes for EO4 (3 are unlocked through story progression), and allows for sub classes. Dungeons are explored with <=5-member teams. 1 post game dungeon which is always a pain; iirc EO4's doesn't have a teleport maze at least, and multiple post-game bosses + superboss. EO4 is one of two entries in the series that also allows for exploring the overworld.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachne

Jan 14, 2016
Rune Factory 4 and Fantasy Life. Both have lots of customization and are feMC capable. The former is similar to harvest moon but they added combat and sprinted with it (it's combat focused). The latter is similar in gameplay minus the love-interest, and is a pretty happy, easy-going game. Only the post game could be considered even remotely hard- I still had a ton of fun with it the whole way through. Both also have major crafting systems.

Gotta plug 'em Atlus titles too. The Devil Survivor remakes are both tactical rpgs with demons. Plenty of female characters, and lots of customization. Fusing is love. I would say smt4 as well, but a sequel has been announced and you may be better off waiting for it instead (smt4 is male MC only too).

Totally agree with Patrick on EO as well. It's... a pretty unforgiving series. EO4 is definitely the place to start. Don't forget to pet the deer!

Edit: EO is a first-person dungeon explorer. Town is menus only. Create up to 25 characters over 10 classes for EO4 (3 are unlocked through story progression), and allows for sub classes. Dungeons are explored with <=5-member teams. 1 post game dungeon which is always a pain; iirc EO4's doesn't have a teleport maze at least, and multiple post-game bosses + superboss. EO4 is one of two entries in the series that also allows for exploring the overworld.

I actually have RE4 and FL, sorry should have said so before. I'm looking at Stella atm, looks pretty solid.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Np. I heard good things about Stella Glow. Not mechanically enthralling, but has decent plot with some unexpected twists; all in all a good swan song for Image Epoch.

Have you tried Code of Princess? Short game, but it's on sale pretty often on E-shop, and the gameplay is pretty fun. It's a side-scrolling action rpg on 3 rails. And you can play as everyone. Even the child villager.

Number13

Aug 26, 2015

Have to agree with MESeele on the Devil Survivor games. They are quite fun, and your actions can have a massive affect on what ending you'll eventually take, along with whether certain people will survive or not.

There's also Persona Q, a dungeon crawler, if you are a fan of the Persona series.

And don't forget about the Pokémon games.

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
I'm obviously gonna go for Fire Emblem: Awakening which is one of the best games on the 3DS right now.

Speaking of which, the new one, Fire Emblem: If/Fates, is coming out in less than a month from now. So getting into the Fire Emblem trend now would be a good idea.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I'm obviously gonna go for Fire Emblem: Awakening which is one of the best games on the 3DS right now.

Speaking of which, the new one, Fire Emblem: If/Fates, is coming out in less than a month from now. So getting into the Fire Emblem trend now would be a good idea.

I agree that Awakening is very good, though I strongly recommend playing with perma-death off in this version.  Enemies can spawn in and move on the same turn, not giving you a chance to respond before they start killing your guys off.

Tenacious_Tiddy

Sep 24, 2015
Tennessee
Its a MAJOR time sink. But if you find that you have time to put in it, plus like games that involve tactics. I'd recommend MHU4, you can customize your characters, armor and weapon, and some of the colors on theres things (though really thats were the tactics come in too as armor and weapons can give skill bonuses.)

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I'd say that's a necro, but it's not like this is a terribly active section anyway.

As far as 3DS games that are JRPG-like, I'm extremely fond of both of the Devil Survivor remakes.  They both expand significantly on their original DS counterparts, even not taking the full voice acting into account.  The voice acting is huge, though.

Project X Zone 2 is a massive improvement over the first title in every regard.  Went from slow and kind of grindy to a pretty awesome strategy juggler.  Lots more RPG and Super Robot Wars-y elements as well, particularly attack upgrades and skills.