questions.

KAZEARC

Aug 26, 2020
london
i have a number of questions about the world of TiTs that I cant find the answers for.

1) in game it gives you a carry threshold. what is it for. and if that what your pc could lift?
2) as far as physical strength goes what is the normal for what someone could lift. is it the same as the real world where it should be double your weight or is it more being si-fi.
3) how close is terra to modern day Earth. city and country wise.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
1) IIRC, It's the body mass the pc can carry before being immobilised. Ie, if your pc gets hypersized boobs or ass or balls, they'll be immobilised under their own weight.

2) No idea, but taking into account mods and species mixing, I guess it'd be a bit more than a human nowadays ?

3) Imho Earth is to Terra as Mycenean Greece is to us - there may be distant commonalities, and terrans may consider themselves descendants of Earth people, but it's best to consider them totally different civilisations

MeepTheChangeling

Jul 9, 2018
Carry Threshold's only use that I know of is defining if you can use a few specific weapons without wearing power armor. Then again that may not be the proper name. It's what my save editor calls the stat I have to tweak to use those guns without setting my physique to 40+. This might be a bug and not intentional, since save edits are not supported officially. Howeaver it does appear to be a measure of what your character can carry about if you look at it in game via your codex. Mine is 208.428 lbs. It may also determine when you become encumbered by your own milk or cum.

As for your second question, the game seems to indicate I can carry 208.428 lbs. I weigh 244.315 lbs and have a physique of 3. If I edit my save and give myself a physique of 4 my carry threshold increases by 29.92 lbs. and becomes 238.348 lbs. This seems to indicate that an "average person" by your definition has a physique of 10. As I assume I would lift my own weight with 5, and thus need 10 to lift twice my weight. Howeaver, you start with a 3 in stats not modified by your background. Also your not quite correct about average human strength. An adult man weighing 198 pounds with intermediate lifting experience can bench press 135 pounds, dead lift 335 pounds, and squat 285 pounds. HOW you try to lift something matters a lot.

Let's assume that Carry Threshold is literally named. IE it's how much you can carry around not counting your own body mass. The average untrained male can carry up to 1/3rd his body weight in a backpack for some distance. You need to be a strongman (as in the super strong people who preform feats of strength at shows) to carry two times your body weight. This implies that 3 is above average strength for humans now, and that a physique of 1 would be modern day humans, and TiTS future humans are much stronger than we are. Likely due to all those people with strength boosting mods having kids and passing their modded DNA on. Now the average human can carry 85% of their weight instead of 33%.

It's been about... 4,200 years since today in the TiTS universe. There is no way Terra is much like modern Earth anymore. Think of how different it's become in just the last 1,000 years. Now look back another 3,000 years. Cultures will be nothing like they are today. Official lore says Terra is unified under a global government. Nations do not exist anymore.

KAZEARC

Aug 26, 2020
london
the part about terra was more along the lines of race and ethnicity. that question come form me doing a play with mirrin. as she is Scandinavian on her fathers side.

and the how much you can lift and carry threshold part comes form it saying my pc can carry 13500,lbs so does that mean she can lift shit in the 5 ton range.

MeepTheChangeling

Jul 9, 2018
Well given that TiTS is pretty hard sci-fi in a lot of ways like FTL travel (wormholes only being hard scifi assuming we can't find a way to make negative mass and therefore can't use Alqubiare's warp drive)... We could use real life projections of future humans up until we start to colonize other worlds to get an idea of how ethnic groups are in the future. Buuuut that seems pretty pointless to me. After all what happened 4,000 years ago is irrelevant in an age when anyone who feels like a fox can just get a needle of "become a fox" at their local quick-e-mart. Sure, you'll have people who can trace their ancestor back to the Germans but so what? None of that old DNA exists anymore because every individual for many generations has had the capacity to fully customize their bodies with genetic modification.

Even the hyper racist cop on Tavros station who is all "NO! PURE HUMANS ONLY!" is gene modded. She's got a dick, and is more muscular than a human female of today can get without the use of steroids. That implies she's tweaked her genes even though she's all about racial purity. Soooo I'm pritty sure that there are no ethnic groups from today alive and well in the TiTS univerce. Not genetically speaking anyways. Which means it all boils down to culture. Texan culture survived because of a colony world. I would be willing to assume that's how any given culture would survive. It happened to have been on an old pre-warpgate colony ship.

KAZEARC

Aug 26, 2020
london
the ethnicity part I manage to figure out with a lot of digging and talking to the right people that are from terra.
not taking race mods so going from human to fox, like penny who before was Asian. just took my common scene to kick in.
i know that i worded the question wrong to what i meant, reading over it.

MeepTheChangeling

Jul 9, 2018
the ethnicity part I manage to figure out with a lot of digging and talking to the right people that are from terra.
not taking race mods so going from human to fox, like penny who before was Asian. just took my common scene to kick in.
i know that i worded the question wrong to what i meant, reading over it.
I guess it depend son how you define ethnic groups. I define them genetically, but I know most people do it cultural. I personally think ignoring genetically distinct groups of people is absurd when classifying people into groups. After all there's some really cool things IRL like this one Bedouin tribe that's immune to arsenic due to millennia of drinking from this one aquifer. Or how Kenyan tribe known as the Kalenjin really are genetically better than all other given ethnic groups as runners due to a combination of factors including longer thinner legs than average and better pulmonary systems on top of that to create the perfect storm of "human distance runner" traits outside of that one actual mutant who doesn't get lactic acid build up and thus cant get tired from physical activity.

I don't think these traits and others like them can be removed from classification systems without removing critical facts about the cultures that arise from the people with those traits. Take the Kalenjin who are a distinct ethnic group. All of them are great runners by the standards of other people, and because of that their athaleets are one of the biggest parts of their cultural identity and have been since as long as anyone can remember. It's a big part of their culture, and it's rooted in genetics. So what would happen if over the next 20 years people changed their genetics and the next generation of Kalenjin were not genetically advantaged as runners? I think that would begin to end the Kalenjin and start a new ethnic group as they adjust to new physical traits.

Things get even more messy once human colonies on other worlds come into account. We call people Asians because they come from Asia and share this culture that developed they way it did because of the specific people who lived in a specific place over a specific period of time. The world shapes us more than people think it does. American cities are so huge and sprawling on the west coast but cramped and messy on the east coast because cars were invited as the US spread west and western US cities were built for cars. Environment dictates culture. So if you take a few million Japanese people and send them to a planet which is nothing like Japan in climate and topography and let a few centuries pass... Are they really still Japanese, or do they have their own identity that's developed form adjusting to their new world?

I say they have a new one. It would have traces of Japanese culture... But it's different. Remarkably so.

As for TiTS Earth, the lore says that by like 2100 Earth is pretty much totally screwed. Over populated, out of resources... So take the global warming projections and use them to factor in forced migration. Every major city in Japan will be under water if most projections are accurate. We do not place cities randomly. We put them where we can do so and survive. Japanese people will move to the few places left in Japan that can support cities, that will fill up and they will then have to go elsewhere. Massive global refugee crisis. Everywhere will become like the USA, a huge melting pot of cultures. Stuff will intermingle and change each other.

I don't think the existing ethnic groups would survive that. The names would, but the cultures as we know them would not. The genetics as we know them would not. Right now Japanese people are generally pale, dark haired, short, and have those cool shaped eyes. But if most Japanese people had to flee rising sea levels for Russia or the USA, well... Things change over time. Crops that grew easily in Japan do not grow in Siberia, meaning traditional Japanese foods would die out over time. Japanese people would marry native Russian people and we'd start to see people of Japanese ancestry more commonly have fair hair colors and other different traits.

"Japanese" would refer to ancestry more than culture even just by 2300, when we started putting out Star Ships filled with colonists. Don't you think that those colonist's kids would identify as members of their colony world more than some place they've never seen before ever and was like destroyed for all intents and purposes before their grandparents were born? To me, yes. Yes they would. So only people from Terra would use old cultural identifiers and names.

When Penny says she's "Asian" I take that to mean she's form Terra and was born in the region refereed to as Asia, and that dosnt means she's Japanese or Chinese, or Korean, or Vietnamese. it means she's a Terran who was born within a given geological region and we lack the data to draw conclusions on what ethnic group and culture she belongs to. Especially since she's not like, typecast or anything. She's not eating rice, wearing a kimono, or carrying a katana or anything. She's not even doing anything subtly Asian that I know of... of course I'm not Asian so she might be. But she seems more American to me than anything else. FOr all we know in 10 years time in TiTS the USA decides "fuck it" and takes over Japan and China during WWIII and those cultures were completely consumed. Or maybe China takes over the middle east, so Penny is really distantly related to the Bedouins who were called Asians because of political reasons for so long that it just stuck and Asia includes the middle east now. Or mabey she says she's Asian in the same way my dad says he's Apache. IE she's like 4% Apache and the other 96% is a whole heap of random genes form everywhere on earth and he just likes one the most so he picked it to be even though he does nothing like the Apache did nor believes anything they did he just thinks its cool to "be" one. ALso he's not realy Apache... I did a DNA test. His family just THINKS they have Apache blood.

We just dont know enough about Terra to make any conclusions at all.

TheShepard256

1) in game it gives you a carry threshold. what is it for. and if that what your pc could lift?
It's a function of body weight, Physique and Tone:
Code:
// Raw body weight
var nBodyWeight:Number = bodyWeight();
// Muscles buff, how much extra body weight can PC lift
var nMuscles:Number = ((tone * nBodyWeight) * (physique() / 100));
// Assume weakest PC can lift their own body weight, each physique point adds 'm' more pounds
var m:Number = 5;
var nStrength:Number = nBodyWeight + nMuscles + (physique() * m);
// Modifiers:
if(hasStatusEffect("Buzzed")) nStrength += (m/2);
if(hasStatusEffect("Drunk")) nStrength += m;
if(hasStatusEffect("Smashed")) nStrength += (2*m);
return nStrength;
It's used for comparing how heavy a body part is compared to how much they should be able to carry; for instance, my Steele has a carry threshold of 161.208 kg (355.403 lbs) and, because of her current late-stage pregnancy, a belly weight of 185.189 kg (408.272 lbs), so her belly weight is ~115% of what she should be able to carry. If she had 1 Tone, she'd have a carry threshold of 188.885 kg (416.420 lbs), so that same belly rating would be ~98% of what she should be able to carry. The thing is, currently, the only body part that can actually immobilise Steele by getting too big is testicles, and other 'you must be this strong to lift this' requirements typically use Physique instead (e.g. power armour weapons require 40 Physique to equip, one of the Corona Lord Flamer's scenes requires 20).