Player-owned Capital ships When ?

Fuzzybear

Sep 15, 2015
I vaguely remember way back in the beginning some of us were told tales of the player eventually owning capital ships, and it's even hinted at if you're in the tavros station hanger, something about a tether system where one could dock such a vessel. Where do i sign up to get one? preferably a gunship like the sledgehammer but bigger. maybe we can hijack an ex-military Destroyer from one of those Black Void people we seem to keep aggravating...

Also, I think the Inexorable might count as a lower-end capital ship, being 800 thousand tons, which, by comparison to some of the largest ships in the "real world", would be absolutely massive. For reference, the currently largest "ship" ever built, the Prelude, is 1601 feet long (roughly 488 meters) and 243 feet (74 meters) wide, and constructed with more than 260,000 tons of steel.

Reactions: Bast

Amakawa Yuuto

Sep 6, 2015
Berlin
The most concrete answer possible right now is probably "when they're done, whenever that may be."

I don't think the idea has been abandoned, but that's mostly because so far there isn't much to abandon. Nothing's stopping them from being implemented, but they've never been more than an item on a todo list, and the list is long and stuff keeps getting added to it, sometimes at the top.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
If I recall, Bess/Ben has a scene that requires a Capital Ship, and it's presented as an option for moving Queen Estallia and her forces to Myrellion.

I don't expect them to be added at this point. If they aren't, hopefully, the 'future-proofing' will be adjusted.
I also seem to recall they were envisioned more as a base, and you'd fly a smaller ship most of the time.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Closer to being unrealistically overambitious, with maybe a little bit of burnout (though not much). CoC2 isn't much of a factor due to being developed by a mostly separate team.
Fair enough, I guess.....

Idk I just don't want this crazy train to slow down....

Fuzzybear

Sep 15, 2015
At the rate we're going with ship-borne companions & crew, a much larger vessel will have to come up at some point, I'm not even that far into the game and I already have 8 companions

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Wait, what?!?! Why? Is it because of CoC2 or burnout?
The only developer shared between games is me, and I don't have the ability to add new game mechanics even if I wanted to (I don't).

A lot of things have been cut from TiTS because its scope was hilariously, insanely unrealistic; they've only become more so as the dev team steadily turns into a burnt out husk.

In the case of cap ships: the ship system itself barely exists to begin with and I think we've all more or less agreed its in an unacceptably bad place right now. Trying to shoehorn in bigger ships into the system would just exacerbate the many problems with it as-is. So, yeah, I wouldn't except cap ships to be a part of the main-line game at this point. It could happen, I suppose, but I would really not hold your breath.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
the dev team steadily turns into a burnt out husk.
That's another sad part of all this... serious question, how have you managed to avoid burnout? You've been with this crew since day one iirc, and even took the reins of your own game. What's your secret? Or are you just built different?