Out of curiosity, what's the population of the Winter City.

WISDOM

Jun 24, 2023
For being the setting of a smut game, Savarra has pretty interesting politics. A point that I've always been curious about is the Boreal Elf population. The game makes it pretty clear there's not a lot of them post-Godswar. And then there's DEFINITELY not a lot of them after My ballpark estimate is less than 20K, as evidenced by Etheryn basically saying "If we have a bad harvest it's joever," but tbh I still think that's a little low.

Reactions: Savin

PalletTown

Sep 10, 2015
For being the setting of a smut game, Savarra has pretty interesting politics. A point that I've always been curious about is the Boreal Elf population. The game makes it pretty clear there's not a lot of them post-Godswar. And then there's DEFINITELY not a lot of them after My ballpark estimate is less than 20K, as evidenced by Etheryn basically saying "If we have a bad harvest it's joever," but tbh I still think that's a little low.
You need about 500 at the very least to sustain a civilization. Also, the Winter City has the capability to send a part of an expeditionary force and partially garrison an outside city, and enough to colonize other places, but not enough to already colonize other places.

20K is the population of a large and powerful city in the medieval era, but not the population of a powerful country.

Tarnakus

Oct 31, 2020
20K is the population of a large and powerful city in the medieval era, but not the population of a powerful country.
20k would be significant, but not near a powerful city - more of a regional power at best.

Powerful cities would start at 100k and above. Check here.

Not sure, though, if medieval times have anything to do here - it should be more like the Collapse of the Bronze Age or the Iron Age. To be fair, the whole lore is a mix of completely different cultures spanning something like 2,000 years, if not more, so comparisons are quite hard.

Rome had a population of around 100k when it began expanding (First Punic War), so an estimate of 50k to 80k might be reasonable - as Winter City starts/tries to. This is just a historical perspective, not a lore-based one. And they have magic so who knows.

Note: cities in the past were not as clearly divided from the countryside as they are today. Every "city" in reality comprised both the city itself and the surrounding countryside, including villages, as both were interdependent and could not thrive without each other.

Second Note: In CoC2 both land and populations are pure fiction - you quite quickly will be in situation of too much, too big, too close and too powerful. In the "real world", Winter City and Khor'Minos would likely conquer each other, or at least both would conquer everything in between. The amount of independent political entities in so close vicinity is quite unrealistic.

Last edited:

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
20k is probably a good guess for the entire Realm of Njorhaalt's population, which is to say, the Winter City and its surrounding community (maybe excluding the druids, because fuck knows where most of them even are much less how many of them are scattered around). "A few thousand" is all I have written down; significantly bigger than Hawkethorne but still a hamlet compared to the Kingdom of Khor'minos.

There's at least enough boreal elves around (again, pre-druids) that Queen Alissa authorized Daliza to undertake a survey expedition through the abandoned regions of the realm to see which if any old towns might be candidates for resettlement.