On the future of Flash

muffinmans

Nov 30, 2016
I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, I tried to do a forum search to no avail.

With the upcoming hard death of flash (Adobe will kill the product completely in 2020, with browser fade out starting now in both Firefox and Chrome) what does the future of TiTs hold? Will the game be forever flash and end in 2020? Are there plans to change the underlying codebase? Is this worry too far out in the future for anyone to care about?

Thebiologist

Jun 24, 2017
Flash isn't going to stop working all of the sudden. It's like windows 95, it'll still exist and will still be used by many people, but it'll no longer get support, bugfixes or updates.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Given how browser support is putting flash into legacy status I wouldn't surprised if it dried a tad sooner than 2020. With that said, I have already backed up flash player someplace safe in case Adobe decides to be cheap bastards and gut the binaries on the flash site.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Think we'll still be able to play on the Flash Projector anyway?

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
The death of Flash is long overdue. It would behoove the team here to look into moving the game away from it but I doubt there are even any inklings of a plan to do so. It'll likely just continue chugging along as it has been.

Keto

Jun 19, 2017
You can always download the standalone flash player and play it locally. I doubt the game will change format though, that's a pretty big undertaking and they're struggling to keep up with the content and code as it is.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
The death of Flash is long overdue. It would behoove the team here to look into moving the game away from it but I doubt there are even any inklings of a plan to do so. It'll likely just continue chugging along as it has been.
Well, it would become Abandonware, wouldn't it? So people could just keep developing after Adobe has washed their hands.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
People can and will keep using it but half the reason it's awful to work with and has so many shortcomings and vulnerabilities is its archaic architecture.

muffinmans

Nov 30, 2016
Microsoft has also committed to removing flash entirely from all it's products as well, so it really will be hard to find the a way to consume any flash software in the (near) future.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Microsoft has also committed to removing flash entirely from all it's products as well, so it really will be hard to find the a way to consume any flash software in the (near) future.

...and just like some of my old win 95 games I'll have to run flash in a VM.

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
i guess... we will see more UNITY games in time as flash dies
but WebGL and specially HTML5 seem like the way to go for most of new web games.

Nnxx

Feb 3, 2017
I'm pretty sure they won't remake the game in another language, devs have a life too and as for now, Tits is a already a pretty big game. Unless they stop releasing regular content, they won't do it, so it will stay in flash and as people said above, I doubt that suddenly, everything made in flash won't work anymore on anything, flash just won't be supported/updated anymore

coldmonkey

May 11, 2016
It'll probably be pretty difficult for new and younger players to get into the game a few years from now if they didn't grow up with Flash, since they aren't as likely to download old, vulnerable software for a game they haven't been able to try. Maybe throw together a short demo in another platform to give them a taste, and then help them download Flash for the full game?

Prisoner416

Aug 27, 2015
I think it's idiotic for flash support to be pulled from the browsers, as it eliminates user choice. I'd have no problem with click to activate, but to not even allow it to be an option is scary as hell considering how much sheer history is in flash animation on the internet. Sad times, indeed.

Prisoner416

Aug 27, 2015
I've seen a few tools that can convert existing Flash to html5. No idea if they would work for Tits or Coc, but that opens up a new problem.

Even if everything is converted, the new code means not only will the save editors need redone, but anything new added to the game would have to be done in html5, and it would be a pain in the ass to convert to a new system.

Honestly, fuck Adobe for doing this, and fuck Mozilla, Apple, and the others that pushed so hard to make it happen.

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
Even if everything is converted, the new code means not only will the save editors need redone, but anything new added to the game would have to be done in html5, and it would be a pain in the ass to convert to a new system.
Honestly, fuck Adobe for doing this, and fuck Mozilla, Apple, and the others that pushed so hard to make it happen.

its not like its exactly NEWS, they`ve been slowly killing it for years now, they just gave it now a final date. All browsers have been removing flash priveleges orderly for a long time; twitch, youtube a lot of other both big and small sites have already changed it; hell even on newgrounds and other sites which are know for hosting flash games state that the number of html5 games have been growing a lot.

HTML5 is better, coding languange is always in constant changing and updating itself

Bsword

Aug 26, 2015
HTML5 isn't quite as powerful as Flash was unfortunately, and has to be combined with JavaScript and CSS in order to do everything so far as multimedia content goes. I will miss Flash, it was great having it around when it was useful. By the way, does anyone know if Adobe Shockwave is going away as well? Shockwave is technically different software than Adobe Flash. I know for a fact, that Adobe AIR and their PDF reader is being kept alive for the time being.

Chase

May 13, 2016
They will probably keep on in flash until the end. I know I would. Then if there is a good enough alternative to it, use that for the next game (if that happens).

Nnxx

Feb 3, 2017
Mozilla is working on Shumway to play back SWFs without needing Flash: http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/. It's not at the point where it can replace it completely though. I tried opening TiTS using it and it ended up looking like this.
By the time flash completely shuts down, it will probably be improved though. I hope it will work as I know I'll like going back to Tits and CoC sometimes in the future.