Old save files obsolete?

BadDragoon

Apr 19, 2021
So since the TiTS javascript version is officially out and getting updates moving forward I'm wondering if the save files of the previous versions are going to be compatible or do we have to make a new save file to play the javascript version?

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
The Flash version has functions to convert saves to a JavaScript compatible format.
Save may not load if it has items that haven't been fully converted yet.

BadDragoon

Apr 19, 2021
I see, do I have to do anything specific to convert save files to a javascript compatible format or does "load from files" do that automatically?

Driger

Sep 11, 2015
Export and Convert File.
And if that doesn't work? Do I just guess that I'm fine and apparently did so a while ago, or is this a "You're screwed, start over!" situation?

I have a collection of .sol files. When I load the standalone player to convert them, it can't find those even though it'll load them to play just fine. The new JS port works in that it detects those, but nothing loads. Since .sol is an AS based save I'm guessing it's just broken in some way.

Driger

Sep 11, 2015
Do you not see any saves when you choose 'Export'?
No, I've been using local saved files the entire time because I routinely move between computers and it was easier to bring those in a folder when I bounce between my desktop and laptop. When I try to use the "convert files" button nothing shows up in the window, as apparently it's looking for a filetype that isn't .sol. It's like the files don't exist to the flash version when trying to convert them.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
'Convert File' should open a window to browse for .tits files.
'Export' should bring up the usual Save slot UI. Select a save slot to bring up a save destination window

They should create a .JSON in the selected folder.

Driger

Sep 11, 2015
'Convert File' is for .tits. 'Export' is for .sol.

They create a .JSON.
So "I'm screwed" is the answer because the way it works wasn't thought through to handle it the way I have my files. Great. Thanks.

There shouldn't have been an option to "save file" if there wasn't a corresponding way to convert those files.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Not necessarily. How do you usually save and load your game?

'Save File' creates a .tits, not a .sol.

Driger

Sep 11, 2015
Not necessarily. How do you usually save and load your game?

'Save File' creates a .tits, not a .sol.
On the save screen there are two rows. The top row saves it to some specific location the game designates, which has the "export" function on it. The second row loads and saves from whatever location the user designates. I used that one.

If "save file" creates a .tits why do I have .sol? Was that part of some change over at some point that I missed waiting for this whole JS port mess to finish?

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Are your saves named with your character name (default Save File format) or with TITS_(X) (standard Save)?

You have a couple of options:
1, Try to find the Flash Player save location and move your saves there, and rename them if necessary. Then use Export.
2. Load a save, then use the normal save option in Flash, then use Export.
3. Load a save, then try to Save File for a .tits, then Convert File.

Driger

Sep 11, 2015
Are your saves named with your character name (default Save File format) or with TITS_(X) (standard Save)?

You have a couple of options:
1, Try to find the Flash Player save location and move your saves there, and rename them if necessary.
2. Load a save, then use the normal save option in Flash, then use Export.
TiTs_1.sol and derivatives based on the slot I saved them in.

If I could find them, I would have done that and not be complaining about this. Wine's way of handling where things are placed on Linux is a hellhole of nonsense. The save name I picked as a test before I posted doesn't show up in search even though it loads perfectly fine in the standalone player. That's why I'm pissed that the "convert save" function wasn't built with a basic check to handle situations like this so it can just detect which and run either conversion.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Google says Linux saves Flash files in:
  1. Linux: ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/
If you can load your save normally, can you save it to a normal save slot? Exporting a normal save should give you a choice on where to save it.

Driger

Sep 11, 2015
Google says Linux saves Flash files in:
  1. Linux: ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/
If you can load your save normally, can you save it to a normal save slot? Exporting a normal save should give you a choice on where to save it.
Not when it's running wine as a compatibility layer to make the adobe standalone player function as the players that that are native don't want to run tits properly for some reason. That was the first place I looked.

It loads, but it won't save. I get an error whenever I try, which was the reason I posted in the first place. I'm currently trying to scrub through every subfolder under wine one by one to try and find where the hell it's saving things. I just really wanted to avoid this and was hoping there was some easier workaround inside the old flash version.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
If all else fails, you can probably post them to the forum somewhere and some kind soul might be able to convert them for you.
Bizzare Bazzar might be a good place. It's not quite the intended purpose, but I think it should be close enough.
I don't think they can be sent via PMs.

Zbearbear

Sep 9, 2019
Gonna try to convert my save because I was just thinking about this issue. Hope the new version will eventually be downloadable as well once they have things hammered out with it.

Mooing_Mermaid

Mar 17, 2017
Just remember, not all planets have been implemented yet so if you old save had a character located on a planet not currently in the JS version... Well.... I don't want to think about THAT nightmare.

Reactions: Zbearbear

Zbearbear

Sep 9, 2019
Just remember, not all planets have been implemented yet so if you old save had a character located on a planet not currently in the JS version... Well.... I don't want to think about THAT nightmare.
Rip to all the saves that are useless for the foreseeable future lol

Reactions: Mooing_Mermaid