Newbie needs advice

Khorne

Apr 3, 2016
New Jersey
Hey guys I'm a relative newbie when it comes to drawing characters so if you guys could please give me your opinion of my sketches and any advice would be very appreciated. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
First of all, i would get some blank white paper. Lines or squares tend to deform drawings and can dictate proportions that are not necessarily good (I do not want to say "right" here, because everybody has a slightly different view on proportions). Concerning proportions, I found it helpful to copy photographs or ideally real models, but the most important trick is practice. Loads of it. As much as you can, although it will always be way to little.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
Oooooh I didn't know Loomis was available for free.

Obscure

Sep 13, 2015
Looks like you've spent some time reproducing anime girls. Nothing wrong with that.

The advice for drawing from life isn't bad but I have heard that there is a place where you can get photographic images of real humans in all manner of undress and in any position that you could possibly desire.

The Lamia isn't half bad. Could use a thicker tail.

The guy is awful though. And the knife. And the jeans. And the shirt. Just do it all over...

It can be hard, but try and find some male pics you like and reproduce them. It takes effort to learn and it doesn't directly equate to anything people are going to want to see.

Reactions: Kesil

Khorne

Apr 3, 2016
New Jersey
Thanks mate. I also agree that the male is horrible I'm better with girls but I'm trying new things. Thanks for your opinion.

KinkyDesign

Oct 10, 2016
Hey there, besides just "practice" i would strongly suggest to you to study Anatomy, but not just study the looks but learn how it works. I recommend wholeheartedly the books from George Bridgman, especially the Construcitve Anatomy one!!
The most important thing that will help you grow as an Artist is to keep pushing, not just pushing through the hard times but pushing your comfort zone.
I wish you good luck and enjoy your journey as an Artist. :)

Khorne

Apr 3, 2016
New Jersey
Thanks I've been looking at the autonomy thing and I've been practicing ever since I may post in the future we shall see.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
Thanks I've been looking at the autonomy thing and I've been practicing ever since I may post in the future we shall see.

Freudian slip? :D

Cog

Apr 17, 2016
Another secret that's right up there with using reference images - you're allowed to trace. People who find out will mock you for it, but there's actually very few better ways to learn proper proportions, and artists have been teaching themselves how to draw by tracing for centuries. I don't know if it's accurate, but I've heard that even Michelangelo did rubbings of engravings early in his apprenticeship. One costume designer I know had no clue how to draw when he started his career, so he started by tracing over a template. Now, he whips up full design concepts freehand in seconds.