New Games (2019)

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Even if Epic pulls another one of their shit stunts?
I don't play PC, it doesn't effect me.

So Sekiro was an absolute blast, very satisfying, even though finding my way around was a bit confusing, especially since I found all the side levels before going to the main story.

The combat was so incredibly fun and intense, I cannot stress that enough. The bosses and minibosses are amazing, though the non-human bosses are less fun. But when you fight someone it's very even, you both trade blows back and forth, and you learn to counter all their moves, go from offense to defense without losing the upper hand. It's a ton of fun.

I'm missing 2 health upgrades and 2 prosthetic upgrades, and I still need like 32 skill points to finish all the trees, but I'm working on that in NG+.

I won't spoil anything, but the story is also really good, at least for the path I went. I think there are 4 endings, I'll look for the others later. Definitely recommend this game, though you should take it slow and maybe even watch boss guides if you're not used to skill-heavy action.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
What kind of stunts have they pulled? I don't keep up with gaming news.
They're buying exclusivity from games that were promised to be on Steam to try and get people on their player. It's really anti-consumer but it is working, which sucks for Steam people.

They should be trying to get their stuff up to par with Steam and letting their more developer-friendly prices do the work for them, since they take less money from devs and don't go more lenient on more successful games while gouging less successful games for as much as possible.

I sorta keep up with it, because it does matter, but I likely won't ever have a PC, so it doesn't really relate to me.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Yeah, example the new Anno game (city builder) due to release is being exclusively released on Epic though before it was going to be released on Steam, Ubisoft decided to go with Epic and pulled the plug on Steam release though those who already pre-ordered and got the game on steam get to keep it. Fact of it here is is that the game is actually cheaper to buy via steam than it is through Epic. Heck you don't even have to buy it through Epic, Ubisoft has it's own digital software platform. Past few years hasn't been good for the gaming community in general due to large game developer owning companies deciding to milk profits instead of caring about their consumer base.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
There really isn't anything stopping people from downloading Epic and running that on their computer as well. It is a hassle and Epic has a horrible feature set compared to steam, but it's ultimately just an inconvenience for the user. The question is what happens when they stop throwing money at developers just to get games onto their store rather than trying to produce a competitive platform first.

Ignoring the money for exclusivity issue, competition for Steam is good, so we'll have to see what happens. Hopefully down the line this should mean good things in general for consumers and developers with both platforms.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
There really isn't anything stopping people from downloading Epic and running that on their computer as well. It is a hassle and Epic has a horrible feature set compared to steam, but it's ultimately just an inconvenience for the user. The question is what happens when they stop throwing money at developers just to get games onto their store rather than trying to produce a competitive platform first.

Ignoring the money for exclusivity issue, competition for Steam is good, so we'll have to see what happens. Hopefully down the line this should mean good things in general for consumers and developers with both platforms.

True there's also a problem with Uplay games, if you buy the game on the steam platform or any other platform instead of Uplay you have to have both Uplay open and steam active in order to play the game/games. I remember trying to boot up farcry primal a week or two ago and it wouldn't boot, started up Uplay and then tried to start the game, thing loaded fine then. If there's one thing I hate is that I hate jumping through multiple hoops in order to start a friggin game. It's why I try to get a game on a single platform instead of more than 1, made the mistake of purchasing some farcry games through steam meh.

Reptillicus

Jun 30, 2016
Are we not going to talk about that spyware-ish crap that Epic is pulling!? I'm not touching that, no way screw you epic games store.

Reactions: JK Drack
K

Kokayi005

Persona 5 was a solid game and the first persona I fully beat.
But I'm not gonna bother with a final mix repeat so soon and on the same system.
I got KH3, God Eater 3 and that's about it until they get around to releasing CODE VEIN!
Anime vampire DARK SOULS.
I suck at Souls games, but if I could have a better story to them I'd get more into them.
That's why I like God Eater games over MH games.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Are we not going to talk about that spyware-ish crap that Epic is pulling!? I'm not touching that, no way screw you epic games store.
If you're thinking that they're selling your personal information to the Chinese government or something, that was fairly well disproved. They still seem to lack a ton of things that people enjoy, but I doubt they're spying on you.

Persona 5 was a solid game and the first persona I fully beat.
But I'm not gonna bother with a final mix repeat so soon and on the same system.
I got KH3, God Eater 3 and that's about it until they get around to releasing CODE VEIN!
Anime vampire DARK SOULS.
I suck at Souls games, but if I could have a better story to them I'd get more into them.
That's why I like God Eater games over MH games.
I frickin' loved Persona 5, it was amazing.

Everyone should 100% buy Sekiro, anyone touting it's difficulty has never played a truly hard game. Even Nioh was harder, which isn't a surprise if you've tried old Ninja Gaiden games, since they're both made by Team Ninja.

Dark Souls is a masterpiece, and I highly recomend 1 & 3, and Bloodborne as well. Again, they're not actually difficult, especially since in these games you can just power level if you're struggling.

I am waiting patiently for Code Vein in hopes it can fill that Souls void, because so far only Nioh has come close. Sekiro was absolutely amazing, 1 got all 4 endings and the Platinum, but it wasn't really Souls.

K

Kokayi005

I'm jealous, I've platinum'd few games. I just don't have to patience to keep working super hard once I beat the last boss of a game and no more new quests are added.

When Code Vein comes I'm gonna lose it. I'll be dead to the world! But it's always just out there, eating up reserved/preserve money and not showing a release date. I feel scammed for wanting it so bad.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I'm jealous, I've platinum'd few games. I just don't have to patience to keep working super hard once I beat the last boss of a game and no more new quests are added.
Some games force you to go out of your way for trophies with things like collectibles that aren't worth obtaining, Sekiro just wants you to find all the endings and get all your upgrades. The only reason I haven't gotten Plat on DS1 or DS3 is because they want you to make a fully upgraded weapon for each type, Crystal, Lightning, etc, and I just go for Refined or Sharp and that's it.

Edit: Turns out I'm also 2 trophies from Plat on the new God of War and DMC5. I'll get to it eventually...

K

Kokayi005

DMC5 was a great game. I stand by that statement and would marry Lady or Trish. Since Dante never commits to anyone.

Gigas_Magus

Sep 19, 2018
In an old, forgotten codex.
I had no intentions of supporting the Epic Store before this was a topic. Epic seems to have a questionable history that I'm not exactly fond of, and neither do I like how they're handling the Epic Games Store as a whole.

Yes, competition could be potentially healthy for the market and I support that, but not in the way Epic is approaching the matter. Purchasing a monopoly on games (limited time or no) to encourage people to use their store is not intuitive or ethical. The same can be said for many other exclusivity deals in the industry, but not all.

Monopoly:
Market situation where one producer (or a group of producers acting in concert) controls supply of a good or service, and where the entry of new producers is prevented or highly restricted. Monopolist firms (in their attempt to maximize profits) keep the price high and restrict the output, and show little or no responsiveness to the needs of their customers.
Source: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/monopoly.html
Monopoly is the perfect market position, because you don’t have to spend too much time or money on improving your product or service, and you don’t have to market your product as much as when there are competitors that customers can choose to go to instead.

So no, business monopolies aren’t inherently unethical. But most of them are unethical, either because they cheated their way to the top, or because they reached the top ethically, and then got drunk on the power and influence they hold.
Source: https://www.quora.com/Are-business-monopolies-inherently-unethical

Which is what happened with Epic. They found a huge success with Fortnite, and now have the means to throw money at other developers to purchase their exclusivity without innovating their product or service in a healthy manner, a common complaint from users of the EGS. I can foresee negative repercussions emerging from such activity and speak by taking my wallet elsewhere. Any future issues that arise with the EGS will be unsurprising, but this subject has already been long debated and I will not spend more time on the matter.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I had no intentions of supporting the Epic Store before this was a topic. Epic seems to have a questionable history that I'm not exactly fond of, and neither do I like how they're handling the Epic Games Store as a whole.

Yes, competition could be potentially healthy for the market and I support that, but not in the way Epic is approaching the matter. Purchasing a monopoly on games (limited time or no) to encourage people to use their store is not intuitive or ethical. The same can be said for many other exclusivity deals in the industry, but not all.

Source: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/monopoly.html

Source: https://www.quora.com/Are-business-monopolies-inherently-unethical

Which is what happened with Epic. They found a huge success with Fortnite, and now have the means to throw money at other developers to purchase their exclusivity without innovating their product or service in a healthy manner, a common complaint from users of the EGS. I can foresee negative repercussions emerging from such activity and speak by taking my wallet elsewhere. Any future issues that arise with the EGS will be unsurprising, but this subject has already been long debated and I will not spend more time on the matter.
They could hardly monopolize video games, if anything Steam was the closest to doing such a thing, but they are being very anti-consumer. However, it's also working, so they don't have a reason to stop.

Reactions: Gigas_Magus
K

Kokayi005

A lot of stuff was delayed or flat out pushed back last E3. I hope full release dates are given and no more playing around and announcing stuff when they know they're not even close.

Code Vein showed 3 areas, a hub HQ, and character designs. Everyone thought they were done. I reserved it and paid it off. Then BAM! Doesn't come out pushed back twice and now it's not even brought up when it even might come out in 2019.

Was that on purpose? A ploy to get more funding for the project but racking up reserve money?

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Probably not the place to complain, but it's pretty upsetting that arenas with Trans flags in them are getting removed from Smash for being "political". How dare they be happy with themselves and show support for each other, amirite?

I'm angrier about all the people being transphobic about it to be honest, but it's still bullshit.

K

Kokayi005

What's a trans flag? A flag that has a symbol for transsexuals? Why whould that be in Smash Bros anyway?

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
What's a trans flag? A flag that has a symbol for transsexuals? Why whould that be in Smash Bros anyway?
The transgender pride flag. Like the gay pride flag.images.png

And it's in Smash because the new game allows you to create your own arena, and people decided to put their flag in the background sometimes. Some people decided to make arenas that look like sexy anime characters or Mario urinating, so this is better by miles.

K

Kokayi005

Well, I'm not sure the childish urinating Mario is any better. But I guess immaturity in art isn't the same a political stances. I'm sorry to hear that.
But the world keeps on spinning. By taking it out, it also draws more attention to the subject. Like this right here, this conversation. People spread the word when you try to silence them just as much as if you listen to them. Sometimes more.