Need help building a typical Valkyrie Tank

PillowWizard

New Member
Oct 3, 2026
1
0
35
Hello, coming back to the game after a while being away. Just started again, decided I wanted to make as "heroic" a character as possible. In short, become a Valkyrie and let Lumia Soulbind my character. Already did that with Keros on a spellblade character. I was wondering how to build a character like that, since they seem to want as many stats as possible. Spellblade was Strength, Willpower, Agility and was a glass cannon. Tanky Valk seems trickier. Want Strength to deal respectable damage and help maintain damage. Want Willpower to make powers like Smite and Charge Blade hit as hard as possible and give it that 'paladin' feel. Want Agility so that I can go before my allies and properly draw aggro, as well as the accuracy and evasion bonuses. Want Cunning because Crit Chance and Power are always nice. Want Presence because it's just nice overall to give modest boosts to my companions.

Of course, I can't have it all. Not without severely gimping my character to a 'master of none' sort of thing. So I'm just wondering, how should I distribute stats? Build like Spellblade and slap armor on to hopefully not immediately die when something sneezes on me funny? Or is there a better way to build effective tanks?
 

Lostname475

Well-Known Member
Apr 3, 2023
871
822
I would go str/tgh/wil and use a sword and shield. Powers would be something like charge weapon/flamebrand/thunderbrand, cleave/whirlwind, group heal(?) for the paladin aspect, rime veil (or bring Ice Cait and have her cast it on you so any attacks against you deal damage to the attacker) and probably unbreakable as the ult? I would do this on warrior over white mage personally so you don't lose initiative from heavy armour.

this is probably not optimal but it should work decently enough?
 

SeveringCrisis

Well-Known Member
May 24, 2018
139
59
argent smite, shielding smite or celestial form (valkyrie soulbind power) would be better than group heal as you can just have a dedicated healer like etheryn for that and you can choose aurora of vigor(valkyrie soulbind power) over unbreakable if you're planning to soulbind to lumia, which has bonuses if you possess either guldring or dawnsword. Bull rush would be good for threat gen (and IIRC has alt text on use for those with wings)