Name Ideas?

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
I am currently working on a new race for the game. And as I am going through and writing it up, I have yet to come up with a name for them. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you need more info, just know that they are an (very) ancient race that is obsessed with designing, building, and creation

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
The Builders.
The Creators.

The Degen (Degei being a creator god in Fijian mythology)
The Ngai (Ngai being a creator god to the Kamba and Kikuyu peoples in Kenya)
The Tagaloan (Tagaloa in Samoan mythology)

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016
The most holiest of grounds
You could just call them the architects. If they're that ancient then it's unlikely that anyone even remembers their original name anymore. No empire stands forever, there likely was some sort of upheaval in their history in which much knowledge was lost and with the mingling of the younger species they've further disassociated themselves from their origin. So now they go by a name that means the most to them, to who they are and what they're about.

You really haven't given us much to work with.

Last edited:

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
You could just call them the architects. If they're that ancient then it's unlikely that anyone even remembers their original name anymore. No empire stands forever, there likely was some sort of upheaval in their history in which much knowledge was lost and with the mingling of the younger species they've further disassociated themselves from their origin. So now they go by a name that means the most to them, to who they are and what they're about.

You really haven't given us much to work.

That is what I was afraid of when I was trying to give the quickest summary of them. Maybe this should help (copied and pasted directly from my rough draft of the race)

" When universe was first born, there also was this race of beings that were comprised of energy. They were numerous and bountiful.

They were known as (name insert).

Couple of these beings proposed an idea to the rest of the others. That they should create physical matter where they would make bodies in which spirits could dwell, where the concept of life could flourish in.

However, as they told others, there would be a cost. Portion of their powers and energy would be sacrificed in order to form a stable and balanced plane of existence, in which this plan could take place.

The majority agreed to such plan, showing much enthusiasm to begin work immediately. However, there were some who did not want to relinquish their powers, and as result, large of part of the whole race fled into the darkness that laid outside the universe, known as the Outer Void.

Of those who remained, they begun work right away. First, they need to make laws that would keep everything from descending into the chaotic state that was currently. After much collaboration and effort, they created forces that branched from the being’s own power. These forces that were used to create order would later become known as the physical laws by the life of the universe later to come.

While at the same time, the beings begun to design matter by working up to atoms, later organizing them into categories known as elements. The beings then the varying states of matter that were liquids, solids, gases, and so on. It was then that the beings realized that sources of light and heat would be needed. So, they took gases and made stars from them.

They also made spheres of matter (of which were numerable elements combined) that revolved around these stars, using the star’s light and warmth. These later known as planets. The purpose of these planets was to house the forms of life they intended to create.

After many attempts, the beings succeeded in building conditions in which life could start to grow. From this, they designed plants, insects, fish, and many more, all by from the process of placing cell, by cell.

Now the moment that the beings had all been anxiously waiting had come, creating bodies for physical life. Many didn’t know where to start on creating something that could do more than just exist, that could live. They argued over how it should be approached, whether if it should one characteristic or the other.

No progress was made until what would be know as the Compromise of Creation came. This was the notion of creating a base form that could successfully sustain a conscious spirit, growth, and numerous procreations. Form this base model, each of the beings could take it unto their own corners in the stars and modify it to their liking and preference.

All of the beings agreed to such arraignment, and on the planet Earth, creating the base form that would later become known as Humans.

The beings then took the formula that made the Humans and went unto their own planets, in which they created their own variations. These species that they created were more numerous in type then the beings were in numbers (this was due to some of the beings creating more than one race). Of these species were Ausars, Kaithrit, Myr, Leithan, and countless more.

However, as result of this entire process of creation that started at the beginning of time, the beings have grown extremely weak when compared to their former selves. But the beings did not care of this, for they had grown to love their creations as parents would unto their children.

While this was going on, the beings beforehand that had fled into the Outer Void, investigated the universe that their siblings had created and grew exceedingly envious and spiteful. These beings had chosen to not give up their powers, but as result they could not achieve the levels of creation that those in the universe did. And as time passed, their resentment and bitterness in the universe expanded, even to the point in which they devised plans to destroy their siblings and their creations.

But these inhabitants of the Outer Void could never find ways to come into the universe, for the beings that created the universe had inadvertently created a barrier between the two dimensions, preventing physical crossing from the Outer void into the universe. But it did not block those in the Outer Void from sending whisperings across.

These whisperings fell upon one of the beings, who would later become known as the Betrayer. The Betrayer was swooned by these pleasing words and fell into the trap that was laid. For the Betrayer had become like those in the Outer Void, growing with an insatiable appetite for power.

Falling for the false promises of strength and power, the Betrayer succeeded in the wishes of the Outer Void in breaking the barrier, thus allowing all the hosts of the Outer Void to fall upon the beings who watched over their creations.

Although vastly outnumbering the enemy, the beings who had created the universe were in no condition to counter the invasion. The result was a massacre, with a great number of beings and their beloved worlds destroyed and murdered.

Those who remained saw that there was only one way to push the oncoming force back and prevent it from entering again. This one way was to directly pour the remainder of their power into a final law that act as a seal. A seal that would not only send the enemy back into the darkness that awaited them but would recreate the barrier and strengthen it so that the enemy may never enter the universe again.

However, due to their weak states, the beings would die in such a sacrifice. But they were willing, for their love of their creations was great. As all the beings who remained proceeded to begin the task, a couple of the beings stepped forward to do their part of the sacrifice.

But the two beings’ creations had also loved them greatly, and in a act of true devotion, the entire race took their creators place in the sacrifice. Realizing what had been done, the two beings sought to prevent their ‘children’ from making such a move, but where too late. Once the task was finished, the enemy was cast into the void, and the sealed blocked them off.

All that remained of the beings where their creations and the lone two, who now were the only ones left of the race that was responsible for the universe itself, mourning the lose of not only their siblings, but their own creations as well. "

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016
@Lord_Malgar I already see some problems.
  1. I read somewhere that it has been established that there will be no actual gods in TiTS. This race of beings are essentially deific and their story of creation and being responsible for the universe and everything speaks volumes of being slapped with the "god" tag.
  2. On the subject of their creation story, it's so similar to the elder scrolls one that I could not help but pick up on similarities, which in turn may actually have similarities with an actual mythology on our planet but none that I'm aware of.
Just a suggestion, completely ignore this and skip it if you want:
If I were you I'd make it that they simply "came to be" on a barren planet and had matter manipulation, not creation, because that is too deific. On their own a single one isn't all that powerful and can barely shape something as big as they but many working together could erect buildings and gigantic works of art from the barren rock in mere seconds. With this power and a newfound love of creating works to admire they built societies centered around artistic expression and finding new ways to make others awe at what they've made. Some were purely aesthetic, others served a technological purpose, but most importantly, everything was built to be magnificent and to last eons. Unfortunately they couldn't bear to tear anything down, everything meant too much for them. Eventually they ran out of space and looked to their moons, finding them to be sufficient canvasses and worked on making spaceships so that they could continue working on them. They moved to other planets, UGC found them, so on and so forth, etc, I think you get what I'm going for here.

The main issue is that they are essentially gods, which I don't think the devs will greenlight, not in the TiTSverse at least. Work on that and I think you'll be fine.

Oh and on the name issue, I'd call them the elahandri, just something that popped up without thinking. Could be from somewhere for all I know, probably not though.

Last edited:

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
@Lord_Malgar I already see some problems.
  1. I read somewhere that it has been established that there will be no actual gods in TiTS. This race of beings are essentially deific and their story of creation and being responsible for the universe and everything speaks volumes of being slapped with the "god" tag.
  2. On the subject of their creation story, it's so similar to the elder scrolls one that I could not help but pick up on similarities, which in turn may actually have similarities with an actual mythology on our planet but none that I'm aware of.
Just a suggestion, completely ignore this and skip it if you want:
If I were you I'd make it that they simply "came to be" on a barren planet and had matter manipulation, not creation, because that is too deific. On their own a single one isn't all that powerful and can barely shape something as big as they but many working together could erect buildings and gigantic works of art from the barren rock in mere seconds. With this power and a newfound love of creating works to admire they built societies centered around artistic expression and finding new ways to make others awe at what they've made. Some were purely aesthetic, others served a technological purpose, but most importantly, everything was built to be magnificent and to last eons. Unfortunately they couldn't bear to tear anything down, everything meant too much for them. Eventually they ran out of space and looked to their moons, finding them to be sufficient canvasses and worked on making spaceships so that they could continue working on them. They moved to other planets, UGC found them, so on and so forth, etc, I think you get what I'm going for here.

The main issue is that they are essentially gods, which I don't think the devs will greenlight, not in the TiTSverse at least. Work on that and I think you'll be fine.

Oh and on the name issue, I'd call them the elahandri, just something that popped up without thinking. Could be from somewhere for all I know, probably not though.

That was the biggest concern with the background of my race, that they would seem like 'God'. But what I tried to make a point of in the summary is that these beings are not Gods, in the sense that they didn't create life, but merely create the physical matter that life inherited. But that doesn't stop the issue of getting it passed of by the devs. The really cool thing about how I wrote my race is that it fits into the TiTsverse, (to my current knowledge, I have been reading their TITS STORY BIBLE for about a day or two now) and also fits into the COC2verse as well (again, only to my current knowledge), as it can be used to explain the demons with the beings in the Outer Void.

What was the idea was for having my race be as such is having the beings themselves represent those on the forum how actually wrote these races. (That, and it explains why completely alien races are uncannily and suspiciously human based. And make humans more interesting in the sense that they are the genetic template/base for intelligent life, which also explains why humans are, out of every other race in the TiTsverse, the most successful when it comes to adapting to all foreign environments as a whole.)

Elder scrolls? I don't know what the universe for Elder Scrolls is. Though, I am relived a little, I thought my race was going to seem too much like the Valar from the Tolkienverse.

Your suggestion for their background has actually got me pretty interested. Permission for me, if I would, use parts of it or modify it for my race?

Elahandri... I think I like. Again, Permission to use/modify it for my race?

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016
@Lord_Malgar
Yes
and yes.

The elder scrolls universe belongs to games the likes of which are Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc. Yours does not fully ring with it but the part about creating matter and using parts of themselves/their power in the process was a trick by a betrayer/trickster who they end the end banished/killed rings particularly in tandem. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with it in my eyes, it's just that others may pick up on it and it could be an issue in their eyes and I thought I'd give you a heads-up.

Last edited:

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
@Lord_Malgar
Yes
and yes.

The elder scrolls universe belongs to games the likes of which are Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc. Yours does not fully ring with it but the part about creating matter and using parts of themselves/their power in the process was a trick by a betrayer/trickster who they end the end banished/killed rings particularly in tandem. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with it in my eyes, it's just that others may pick up on it and it could be an issue in their eyes and I thought I'd give you a heads-up.

Thank you so much!

If Skyrim has such rich lore, I might just go and play then! (Wait, then I won't be able to work on this project of min, darn it)

And to avoid that level of similarity, I have both revised the draft I had and merged it with parts from your suggestion. Now, I would love to share it with you now, but I am going to open up a new thread for it, as the purpose of this thread has been completed as far as I see it.

The genesis primarchs!

Elanadri and Primarchs.... Both so good, I don't know which one I like more. Possibly going to attempt and merge the both of them. With that said, permission for me to use it?

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
I'd say this falls pretty squarely in "ask FenCo if the concept is acceptable" territory.
This. I doubt there's a single damn chance you're going to get to impose your creation myth on the entire TiTS universe. This reads more like how you'd start your own writing work, not a fan contribution for a game that's been around for years.

Reactions: Evil

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Skimmed over this and I can already see it getting shot down.
This race is just...too much.

Just a piece of advice, don't make gods, or aliens masquerading as gods or aliens running on Clarke's Third Law. Go smaller. Think of a single individual and how they should encompass everything about their race but still be their own person.

Lord_Malgar

Apr 12, 2019
Totally not god but had the powers of gods at some point is still iffy >.>
I'd say this falls pretty squarely in "ask FenCo if the concept is acceptable" territory.
This. I doubt there's a single damn chance you're going to get to impose your creation myth on the entire TiTS universe. This reads more like how you'd start your own writing work, not a fan contribution for a game that's been around for years.
Skimmed over this and I can already see it getting shot down.
This race is just...too much.

Just a piece of advice, don't make gods, or aliens masquerading as gods or aliens running on Clarke's Third Law. Go smaller. Think of a single individual and how they should encompass everything about their race but still be their own person.

I have taken all of that into account, seeing just how my race would cause serious issues. As Evil said perfectly, it really was too much.

With that said, I decided to start over with a second attempt by simply creating a new second draft of my race. I posted it a new and more appropriately titled thread, and I would really appreciate it if you went over and read it, giving me your thoughts if I had brought it down enough.

Thank you so much for time and have a wonderful day.