Minor spoiler about winter city ahead! I may have broken - not really - my game...

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Wut.png Uuuuum... okay, maybe a strength, willpower stat respec comboed with Charge Weapon, Blessing and Griefmaker is a bit too strong... just wanted to post this because I'm in so much awe.

Last edited:

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
And I thought my Warrior build (using a fairly similar combo of powers) was nuts and I've never seen damage output like that. Okay, mine's not specced for Willpower and I didn't add Blessing but even still... are you perchance playing as a Thief and getting Twist the Knife bonuses or is that just raw power?

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
Blessing+Smite Evil is borked as fuuuuuuck, Considering I damn near one-shotted Alissa (as a warrior, so no twisting the knife.) using that combo with the Sanctified Gladius I can honestly see how just tacking on Charge Weapon might tilt the Griefmaker to produce numbers like that. xD

Last edited:

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
And I thought my Warrior build (using a fairly similar combo of powers) was nuts and I've never seen damage output like that. Okay, mine's not specced for Willpower and I didn't add Blessing but even still... are you perchance playing as a Thief and getting Twist the Knife bonuses or is that just raw power?
My character is a black mage, so I don't have that perk. I did prepare myself to have a fuck ton of buffs though, like maximize willpower, maximize cunning, and something to increase agility maybe? I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something though, because I've never actually dealt that much damage before, it never passed 800 damage... I wonder how much it would be if I used Song of Storms, I think if you have enough spellpower, it can give +100 storm damage on a hit, but I'd need 2 rounds of buffing to be able to then use Smite Evil with all the buffs, so having high initiative would be important too.

I've always thought that a buffing support-ish build for yourself was the strongest in the game, because you can just buff yourself or even your companions and they'll do similar damage too. It's so strong albeit it's slowness, you just need a couple of rounds to prepare if your enemy has a high health pool (like Jaelyn). I wonder, if I survived her hits somehow, could I one-shot Kass? I hope her end-game battle isn't just like how it was in the palace, she was dealing more damage, while aoe, and critting every single time.... got me pretty scared not gonna lie.

It got me thinking though... if we can reach that high a ceiling, and it will be even higher later on as the game develops, I wonder if Savin would consider making the option of turning the character into a god and joining the seven, like Talos in the Elder Scrolls series, idk, but it's such an interesting idea, but so broken and a bit nonsensical at the same time? I'm not sure what to think. People who didn't know about it, but gave their soul to Keros would be locked out of that content for example, or if you gave your soul to any other god if that becomes a thing later down the line, so yeah, the Talos option probably won't be feasible. It'd be really awesome though.

I just realized I deleted my comment thinking I replied the wrong person, but I didn't...

Reactions: Senera2000

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
What's your warrior build @WolframL ? All my warrior builds never seem to do much damage and always fucking miss.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Uhh, I wouldn't recommend using my build as an example of how not to miss because I based mine around a roleplaying hook that dictated how I distributed my stat points (Strength and Presence every level, rotate through the rest) with the result she has only 8 Agility as of Level 5 and spends a lot of time drinking Garth's finest apple cider to have a prayer of hitting when it counts. But with all that Strength (and Spellpower-boosting accessories to buff Smite Evil's effects) she does hit like a truck if she connects, in the upper three hundreds in the Winter City dungeon on a critical even though some of the damage from Galon's Griefmaker is getting soaked up by the high Frost Resistance of the encounters.

I should probably cycle through Kohaku's inventory until I get a Lucky Strike and swap out one of her rings with it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
Uhh, I wouldn't recommend using my build as an example of how not to miss because I based mine around a roleplaying hook that dictated how I distributed my stat points (Strength and Presence every level, rotate through the rest) with the result she has only 8 Agility as of Level 5 and spends a lot of time drinking Garth's finest apple cider to have a prayer of hitting when it counts. But with all that Strength (and Spellpower-boosting accessories to buff Smite Evil's effects) she does hit like a truck if she connects, in the upper three hundreds in the Winter City dungeon on a critical even though some of the damage from Galon's Griefmaker is getting soaked up by the high Frost Resistance of the encounters.

I should probably cycle through Kohaku's inventory until I get a Lucky Strike and swap out one of her rings with it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
That's cool. But what perks would you pick for a damage dealing warrior? It's fine if they miss, as long as they do some real damage when they land.

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
Hey @Savin. What would happen if somebody got a crazy crit like that when fighting the demon girl at the end of the mission? Like they actually manage to beat her. I think I got one shotted before I got a turn but I haven't played through it multiple times to see if it always happens.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
What demon girl?

Only demons you fight in the entire mission are the dragon girls from Kassyra no?

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
What demon girl?

Only demons you fight in the entire mission are the dragon girls from Kassyra no?
Attack Kas after the Alissa fight then on the roof attack her again. You get to fight demon girl.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Attack Kas after the Alissa fight then on the roof attack her again. You get to fight demon girl.
Oh, I see, makes sense I wouldn't know this then.

Hey @Savin. What would happen if somebody got a crazy crit like that when fighting the demon girl at the end of the mission? Like they actually manage to beat her. I think I got one shotted before I got a turn but I haven't played through it multiple times to see if it always happens.
Maybe if you get unbreakable, senninbari, just so you aren't one shot, and then start buffing yourself to do damage? I'd definitely use song of storms, blessing, and Kiyoko also has a debuff skill in one of her sets, could increase your damage even more. Unfortunately I didn't consider using it until I had already finished the dungeon... so I don't know how much that can help.

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
Oh, I see, makes sense I wouldn't know this then.

Maybe if you get unbreakable, senninbari, just so you aren't one shot, and then start buffing yourself to do damage? I'd definitely use song of storms, blessing, and Kiyoko also has a debuff skill in one of her sets, could increase your damage even more. Unfortunately I didn't consider using it until I had already finished the dungeon... so I don't know how much that can help.
I'm curious if you can also Banish them to not have to deal with them for 2 turns, and I noted the Senninbari doesn't always trigger if you're overkilled too hard.
You can survive the first turn if you dodge the attack or it misses but in three attempts it only happened for me once, and I was wearing a Senninbari and it never triggered.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

There is actually full text for beating her at the end of the adventure.

Theoretically there's nothing stopping somebody at 1.0 full release from grinding up to max level and getting really good gear before WC so of course I gotta do the bare minimum to make sure the game doesn't crash or w/e when they do.

Kas just calls you a cheater and then nothing beneficial happens.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
That's cool. But what perks would you pick for a damage dealing warrior? It's fine if they miss, as long as they do some real damage when they land.
Uhhh, I'm just using the perks that naturally come to a Warrior (which are all focused on being tanky) but if I were trying to do a seriously optimized physical fighter build, I'd make them a Thief instead because that 50% damage boost whenever you hit an enemy with at least one negative status effect is insane. And that's before you factor in criticals, or the glorious damage that their Ultimate does and which can't miss. Like I said, my build's not optimized; I built it on a roleplaying theme for funsies and it just happens to have good damage output when the RNG favors me.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Uhhh, I'm just using the perks that naturally come to a Warrior (which are all focused on being tanky) but if I were trying to do a seriously optimized physical fighter build, I'd make them a Thief instead because that 50% damage boost whenever you hit an enemy with at least one negative status effect is insane. And that's before you factor in criticals, or the glorious damage that their Ultimate does and which can't miss. Like I said, my build's not optimized; I built it on a roleplaying theme for funsies and it just happens to have good damage output when the RNG favors me.
Do you think that this perk that adds 50% damage would work immediately when you apply the debuff? or do you have to apply a debuff first, then wait for another turn to be able to do the 50% bonus? Because hear me out: Blue Flame Blade applies a burn debuff if you crit right? So let's say you activate flame blade, then use smite evil and it crits, thus applying the burn. Do you know if the 50% bonus dmg perk would activate right then and there with smite evil? cause that would be beyond broken.

Assuming that all of this is true, you can do something like, song of storms, blessing, kiyoko debuff skill, maxed out stats, being a thief with that perk (or add it with save editor), I think it's possible to go even beyond that 1100 damage. Of course, all this is incredibly overkill, but I can't help but wonder.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
It no longer adds 50% total damage since a dozen patches ago, but adds 50 power such that every hit is effectively an invisible crit.

Smite evil is also getting nerfed.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
Hahahaha i'm really not surprised to hear that. Just the fact that it adds +50 accuracy guarantees a crit if you run a high agility, high cunning build, at least i think so, since that's what i'm running, and it very rarely does not crit.
Actually not gonna lie, it'd be nice to have it nerfed, it would make skills like power wave more valuable, since it's like smite evil's baby brother and it's on a 1 turn cooldown, and I could place other abilities on the encounter slot, like summon phyria (i don't even know what she does because i never switched from smite evil)

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
It no longer adds 50% total damage since a dozen patches ago, but adds 50 power such that every hit is effectively an invisible crit.

Smite evil is also getting nerfed.
Interesting. The description still gives it the 50% boost. Either way, I'll need to do some tweaking to my Warrior if Smite Evil's also getting hit with a nerfbat, good a motivation as any.

Hahahaha i'm really not surprised to hear that. Just the fact that it adds +50 accuracy guarantees a crit if you run a high agility, high cunning build, at least i think so, since that's what i'm running, and it very rarely does not crit.
Actually not gonna lie, it'd be nice to have it nerfed, it would make skills like power wave more valuable, since it's like smite evil's baby brother and it's on a 1 turn cooldown, and I could place other abilities on the encounter slot, like summon phyria (i don't even know what she does because i never switched from smite evil)
She hits things really hard (for a summon) which can include a chance to inflict Frigid, so she's pretty handy to have. As with all summons, more Leadership means more power.

Reactions: Violyn

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
She hits things really hard (for a summon) which can include a chance to inflict Frigid, so she's pretty handy to have. As with all summons, more Leadership means more power.
True, i had forgotten about that, since my build doesn't involve having high leadership, might have to rethink my build a bit to increase that, or sacrifice my agility drink for a presence drink boost so that a summon can do more. If i remember correctly, the wolf summon is pretty handy too, it deals some decente aoe damage, I ran a few battles with it before i did my respec into strength. Either that, or i can try to substitute smite evil for another damage based encounter ability. Still though, gotta see how much this nerf is going to hit smite evil, because right now you can easily surpass the 700 damage mark, and the only enemies that have more health than that, are Kas, and the
wraith
which are at 999 (you can't even damage one of these two so it doesn't even matter anyway. It's so overkill. A nerf that would just stop it from being able of one shotting basically every enemy in the game would be perfect. nerfing the accuracy and just a little bit of the damage would probably be best; i think that the amount of accuracy you get from casting it is the most problematic thing. I never manage to one shot people if I don't crit, which is why I run high agility and high cunning; so nerfing it to like 25+ acc or even lower than that could yield very positive results. That and nerfing it's base damage a little bit, match it's base dmg to something like arc cannon for example.

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
That and nerfing it's base damage a little bit, match it's base dmg to something like arc cannon for example.
I actually hope they don't go that far. It's an encounter ability while Arc Cannon is not just a recharge one, it's also an AoE. This would mean that if your build isn't specced specifically for Smite Evil, Arc Cannon could potentially dish out more overall damage, particularly vs groups... more damage than a once per encounter ability.

Another thing that sort of irks me about nerfing Smite is there isn't really any other good mage encounter abilities that your other companions don't have (at least that you can learn, and as far as I could find). Yeah, having a shield could be cool but Cait beat me to the punch line and the summon slot is always taken by Berwyn and arguably better in his hands due to his ultimate, which buffs it considerably. The only real alternative would be Garrote, but it's a thief ability.

And if Smite Evil is getting nerfed, I hope Garrote is as well to be fair. On paper it sounds like an arguably better ability, has higher base damage but still has the +50 accuracy and arguably a better side effect than just some extra resolve.

Personally I've only seen Smite Evil crit a handful of times, and when it doesn't it frequently does a whopping 70 damage versus a single foe, usually due to resistances. Arc Cannon does roughly 50-60, and each individual hit on a group has it's own chance to crit. Smite can sometimes feel lackluster.

Reactions: Malidica

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I've only seen Smite Evil crit a handful of times, and when it doesn't it frequently does a whopping 70 damage versus a single foe

Well, we've gotten several reports of ~1k damage crits (and crits don't actually add THAT much damage, even), so yeah that needed to be fixed. And was!

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I.E. without those buffs smite is even weaker than it should be? Seems like if stacking buffs was making smite crazy then the buffs should've been nerfed, not smite, or at least, nerf their effects on smite.

No, it was the way those buffs interacted with Smite -- because it added base damage instead of bonus damage; in essence instead of giving you a weapon buff like nepatha does, it was giving you all the benefits of an entirely extra weapon hit. If you aren't using some tweaked-out buff build the end result should be about the same, but it won't get crazy scaling from certain arcane buff combos.

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
Well, we've gotten several reports of ~1k damage crits (and crits don't actually add THAT much damage, even), so yeah that needed to be fixed. And was!
Well, yeah I see what you mean. This post is basically a report in itself. I was mostly just speaking for myself.

But how much damage do crits actually add? I recall Smite (usually did 70 damage, 80 or 90 if they had no resistances) could crit for upwards of 200 or so damage. I'd say that's significant but... What even is behind it? I could be having an edge case or something.

edit: double quote on accident lol