Master of Orion: Conquer the stars

gamethinktalk

Mar 6, 2016
I've spent some time with the game and wanted to share my thoughts as a longtime MOO fan

Here is a link to my Let's Play with my thoughts on the game summarized below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSgzA5g2oG0

Has the colorful charm and sense of humor of 1, and the super useful standard view of seeing the entire galaxy on one screen like 2.

Race strengths and weakness seem quite limited. Could go so much deeper to help create different playthroughs. Interested to see how variable Custom Races are.

Overall speed feels slow. Couple slow ship speed with star lanes and ships can easily get stranded 30 turns away from points of interest

I'd like to easily see what each tech does when choosing which to research

Would like a list of structures already built and the ability to see planetary details when choosing production. Too often I had to close the production window to check on: population, morale, planet type, pollution etc

Viewing colonies and planets by production/research/food could be improved.  Viewing planets to send colony ships has no option to filter out those that are blockaded by enemy

I miss experience for ships (would make fighting pirates useful) and the personality of leaders for hire

Auto explore, guard are great additions

When a race declines a negotiation, the 'what would make this work' option is a great addition for give and take. Though negotiation seems too tough.

I'll be playing and discovering more pros and cons and how this game ultimately shakes down.

Will it be a worthy addition to the hallowed franchise or merely a novel distraction for 2016?