Magical Damage Weapons

NinjaTacos

Aug 19, 2023
UK
Do weapons that deal 'Magical' type damage, like the Metal Wand or Divine Blossom, scale based on Spellpower/Willpower?

I've been disappointed that so few are being added while unique or otherwise interesting Physical damage weapons keep getting poured into the game. To the extent that I've started to wonder if the distinction is irrelevant. I'm not sure what to go for with a low-strength build (I play a Charmer with high Presence, Agility and Cunning, pumping a teensy bit into Willpower so I can also be a healer for my party).

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Do weapons that deal 'Magical' type damage, like the Metal Wand or Divine Blossom, scale based on Spellpower/Willpower?
All weapons scale based on your attack power, and your attack power scales off of strength. Spellpower only impacts powers which are spells (and a few other magical powers). That's kinda why there are spellpower-scaling at-wills like Fire Bolt, Hypnotic words, Foxfire, Magic Missile, Psychic Blast, Withering Bolt, and even the weapon buffs-based at-wills that scale with spellpower like Blue Flame Blade, Flamebrand, and Charge Weapon, so that mage builds (and hybrid strength/willpower builds for those last ones) can have a repeatable form of damage dealing that scales off willpower rather than strength.
I've been disappointed that so few are being added while unique or otherwise interesting Physical damage weapons keep getting poured into the game. To the extent that I've started to wonder if the distinction is irrelevant. I'm not sure what to go for with a low-strength build (I play a Charmer with high Presence, Agility and Cunning, pumping a teensy bit into Willpower so I can also be a healer for my party).
You're using a high-presence Charmer, and you're looking to deal damage with a weapon? It sounds like, if you don't have a power to use at the moment, you should be using a tease. Maybe with some sexiness/temptation-providing weapons and armor equipped to boost that further. Particularly since you have high cunning, since I'm fairly certain the critical chance and effectiveness boost from cunning will apply to teases.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by putting a bit into willpower so you can be a healer. If you're running an actively used at-will, that could mean you're using a White Mage's healing at-will, but there are presence-based heals you should have access to. As a charmer, you should have easy access (through trainers/levelling up) to the Song of Courage stance, which is a hefty presence-based buff with a minor presence-based heal, and there's also Soothing dance as an active heal that scales off of both presence and spellpower (though spellpower works more as a multiplier for the linear presence scaling of it). And of course, you start out with Bolstering Dance, which has a similar, albeit passive, team-wide heal based mainly on presence and multiplicative on spellpower, along with a minor defensive buff.

Animefan666

Sep 6, 2020
Also, there's only one weapon that scales off of Spell Power instead of attack and it's only obtainable through editting.

NinjaTacos

Aug 19, 2023
UK
Thanks, that's super helpful. :)

I have focussed on increasing my sexiness as much as possible and rely on teasing and Allure most of the time. I mainly want a weapon to use as a plan B against enemies with high tease/pheromone resistances.

In terms of healing, I've found Great Heal to be a lot more effective than Soothing Dance, though I guess I'll experiment and try and compare them again. I was using Bolstering Dance most of the time prior to the Winter City, but found the party needs to be able to survive taking a lot more damage past this point, and making myself the main healer gives me more freedom with building my party.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
In terms of healing, I've found Great Heal to be a lot more effective than Soothing Dance, though I guess I'll experiment and try and compare them again. I was using Bolstering Dance most of the time prior to the Winter City, but found the party needs to be able to survive taking a lot more damage past this point, and making myself the main healer gives me more freedom with building my party.
Admittedly, I probably would expect Great Heal to have the most healing output, since it's percent-based while Soothing Dance is a flat heal (which is probably a holdover from when resolve was still in the game, where resolve wasn't constantly increasing and SD was a resolve heal). My white mage character has maximized willpower and presence, and will heal 74% of the target's hp with Great Heal, while only healing 120-ish health with Soothing Dance. Brienne, who I'm using as my party's tank, has 403 health, and since the baseline minimum Great Heal can do if you somehow set your spellpower to 0 would be 45%, GH is basically always better than Soothing Dance.

That said, I think a much stronger heal competitor for the charmer is Bolstering Dance. With this high presence and willpower character, it heals roughly 50 health each turn. It's not necessarily going to outheal Great Heal, but it's useful mainly in that it's effectively passive and team-wide. It's somewhat less useful now that threat hard-locks enemy's attacks onto whoever has the highest threat rather than just impacting a chance, but still, enemies may use attacks like cleave or allure, or your damage dealers may accidentally do enough damage to out-threat the tank, and once you're dealing with having multiple injured allies, it becomes more effective. Not only will you constantly be healing everyone, helping in those situations, but you're also not required to spend turns on those heals. If your team got hit by a cleave, to heal everyone with great heal, you need to spend three separate turns on healing (or two if you're a white mage, but you're playing a charmer), while BD lets you spend those three turns dealing damage (mainly teases or other powers). It still won't quite be as effective overall as Great Heal, but it allows for somewhat effective multi-tasking.

With all that said, whether you stick with Great Heal or move to Bolstering Dance, It sounds like your playstyle really wants four stats focused. In that case, I recommend alcohol. Garth sells Monastary Ale for 10 ec, Rose (in KM) sells Dragon's Ale for 30 ec, The Palace of Ice has Winterberry Win, and Rumie will give you Moonshine freely if you've upgraded the Wayfort. All of these things provide a boon which causes your willpower to be maxed out (23 for level 7) for 24 hours. Also, if you've freed and married Kiyoko, and aren't adventuring with her, then sleeping at Kiyoko's house gives a Bento Box once every 3 days, which can be carried and consumed to both maximize everyone's willpower and apply the well-fed buff for the same 24 hour duration. Since both GH and BD scale with spellpower, and many other Charmer powers scale in part or purely based off of spellpower, having a maximized willpower will definitely help you a lot. Plus, you can respec the points you spent on willpower back into whatever stat you didn't invest in before.
I have focussed on increasing my sexiness as much as possible and rely on teasing and Allure most of the time. I mainly want a weapon to use as a plan B against enemies with high tease/pheromone resistances.
If you're not also using some power that scales based on spellpower, and don't want to use one, then try Ashelander. She's a one-handed mace with 40 damage and a sexiness bonus, and unlike the Aphrodisiac whip all of it is not of a type that would have damaged resolve before resolve was removed. Plus she has 20 armor penetration and 10 accuracy, while still being one-handed. She still scales with attack power, so you won't be able to maximize her damage, but she'll still hit decently hard as a weapon.

NinjaTacos

Aug 19, 2023
UK
But I'm (basically always) preeeegnaaant! I'm wary of relying entirely on alcohol boosts as it'll wear off if I'm camping (having said that, I am running back to the Wayfort as much as possible to check for events with Freja...). I am using a bento box before each dungeon. :D

I will give Ashe a go, though wishing I'd asked this a bit sooner. I have just finished nearly everything in the Rift and have only Undermountain and its dungeons left. My memories of my previous playthrough last year are telling me that there is a common enemy in Undermountain that resists both tease and fire damage.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
But I'm (basically always) preeeegnaaant! I'm wary of relying entirely on alcohol boosts as it'll wear off if I'm camping (having said that, I am running back to the Wayfort as much as possible to check for events with Freja...). I am using a bento box before each dungeon. :D
Fair enough. I don't use alcohol despite how many of my builds would probably benefit, but hey, when you can get it, it's good to have.
I will give Ashe a go, though wishing I'd asked this a bit sooner. I have just finished nearly everything in the Rift and have only Undermountain and its dungeons left. My memories of my previous playthrough last year are telling me that there is a common enemy in Undermountain that resists both tease and fire damage.
The Curved Blade can also work as a 40-damage melee with 10 armor penetration. it's worse overall than Ashelander, but it's purely penetrating rather than crushing/fire or crushing/drug (compared to Ashe and Aphro). There's also the Blight Tendril, which is a 40 damage thrown weapon with some pretty nice side stats, but it has a massive focus penalty which can hurt against teasing enemies.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
It is decently strong, since Holy is one of the best damage types in the game (on account of your main enemy being demons), and it provides some good defensive stat bonuses. You should only really use it if you're either dual-wielding or if you're a tank (or both). Its special stance, Deflection, basically lets you ignore enemy attack as long as you manage to keep your threat up, but it's significantly less useful if you're not trying to be the target. Because demons have a -100 to their holy resistance, and same for undead, you'll deal good damage with it against them, but against others it's more of a defensive tool than an offensive one.