Looking for a Programmer/ Price Quote to Commission

Gplikespie

Aug 28, 2015
I do ALOT of DnD/Pathfinder. I mean ALOT.

Probably 40+hours a week between preparing stuff, running games, playing games, etc. It is about all I do other than work.

I could really use someone to program/develop an HTML based tool for rapidly making Monster Encounters, generating NPCs, creating Item Loot Lists, Drop Tables, and even Magic Item Generators. There are things like this online already, but few of them meet MY needs. I would be looking for someone to work with me in developing one, and I would pay for it. I also would not care if they wanted to publicly release the final product (I would encourage it, really), as I just want to fund the creation of one. Can people throw in their two bits on this?

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I am well aware this post won't help you in your quest (much to my chagrin), but it might help you in regards to an orthography bit. Is it okay if I link you to this?

Good luck.

Gplikespie

Aug 28, 2015
Sure... during your attempt to derail my thread >.>. Anyone got something HELPFUL to contribute? I did already say that what I have found online does not meet my needs. You can imagine I spend alot of time searching.

@Kesil Alot. Deal with it.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I'm sorry my English wasn't good enough to convey I wanted to help you concerning something unrelated to your question. You see, I don't know much about programming, but I care about languages, and I like to help people on this forum in any way I can. If I'm not wrong, you were on the old forums. Therefore, there's a chance you'd know I never intend to disrespect my peers.That word in capital letters felt like a good moment for me to offer my help to compensate for not being able to help you in what  you wanted. I apologise if you didn't need my help at all. I guess I can't help it. :(

According to that entry, "Haters Gonna Hate is a catchphrase used to indicate a disregard for hostile remarks addressed towards the speaker." I can assure you I didn't want to pick on you. I only hope you are not trying to pick on me just because I wanted to tell you about how that typo had become a meme of its own due to how widespread it is. I was expecting an "Oops, my bad" or a "Haha, thanks for the heads up!". Instead, you replied in a way that sounded like "screw you, I'm proud of my typos". Now that felt like an hostile remark. I know, I know, "grow a pair", "this is the Internet", whatever. I've used internet services for over ten years and now's when I feel some people act in a more aggressive way or directly assume other people want to diss on them.

tl;dr: ever since I couldn't help you on your request, I wanted to help you correct a word. I feel down at how you assumed I was being snarky and unhelpful and, worse still, that I should deal with it. I am starting to feel it's my fault for not having opened an English textbook since 2008. If anyone wants to help me with finding the right tone to discuss stuff on the internets, please PM me. I'd rather think it's my fault than assuming it's all down to the online disinhibition effect. There's no reason not to be friendly and care for orthography, dammit.

Helix

Oct 24, 2015
May I recommend you elaborate on what you need publicly? It would make it a lot easier to estimate the scale of your request, as well as if it is something a taker is even capable of doing.

Maybe tell us about what it is that you would like in addition to the already existing generators. If you know of one that almost does it, maybe that one could be adapted? Could save a lot of work. Generally known in the industry as a Requirement Specification.

Oh, and you might want to be a little nicer to those who take the time to respond to your request, even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted. Personally, while your original request is reasonable, it is not tempting at all to work with you at all based on your second post.

Gplikespie

Aug 28, 2015
I'm sorry my English wasn't good enough to convey I wanted to help you concerning something unrelated to your question. You see, I don't know much about programming, but I care about languages, and I like to help people on this forum in any way I can. If I'm not wrong, you were on the old forums. Therefore, there's a chance you'd know I never intend to disrespect my peers.That word in capital letters felt like a good moment for me to offer my help to compensate for not being able to help you in what  you wanted. I apologise if you didn't need my help at all. I guess I can't help it. :(

According to that entry, "Haters Gonna Hate is a catchphrase used to indicate a disregard for hostile remarks addressed towards the speaker." I can assure you I didn't want to pick on you. I only hope you are not trying to pick on me just because I wanted to tell you about how that typo had become a meme of its own due to how widespread it is. I was expecting an "Oops, my bad" or a "Haha, thanks for the heads up!". Instead, you replied in a way that sounded like "screw you, I'm proud of my typos". Now that felt like an hostile remark. I know, I know, "grow a pair", "this is the Internet", whatever. I've used internet services for over ten years and now's when I feel some people act in a more aggressive way or directly assume other people want to diss on them.

tl;dr: ever since I couldn't help you on your request, I wanted to help you correct a word. I feel down at how you assumed I was being snarky and unhelpful and, worse still, that I should deal with it. I am starting to feel it's my fault for not having opened an English textbook since 2008. If anyone wants to help me with finding the right tone to discuss stuff on the internets, please PM me. I'd rather think it's my fault than assuming it's all down to the online disinhibition effect. There's no reason not to be friendly and care for orthography, dammit.

Internet Rule 11 applies in this case.

As for what I need, I need an HTML app that can  generate things like NPCs with full stat blocks, item loadouts, etc would be the major starting point. Having it create an entry like this would work wonders:

Morlan, Half-Elf Ranger 2/Fighter 1

STR 17 DEX 13 CON 13 INT 17 WIS 11 CHA 18

Longbow +4 (1d8+2), Mwk Longsword +5 (1d8+3)

Feats: Weapon Focus (Longsword), Weapon Focus (Shortbow), Etc

Items: Potion of Cure Light Wounds x3, 12 gp, 5 Sp, 2 Cp

It would need to evaluate level, class, and then generate feats applicable to the classes chosen. Here is what I would like to do:

I need a level 3 char, a Warden for Lord James who can guide the players through the woods. They may be around him for a while, so he needs a bit of depth.

I want to click and say "oh, he will be a level 2 ranger, level 1 fighter. Ideally, there would be a drop-down menu I can choose from. Then the program ticks through its database, picks a few relevant feats, slaps it together, calculates bonuses, and spits out Morlan.

I understand this project may take a while, but I will pay based on each milestone released on a Half up front, Half on delivery format.

As for my reply to being corrected, I work as a Night auditor at a hotel, so I have a low tolerance for people telling me how to do what I am trying to do (e.g. correcting my grammar in public). A simple PM would suffice, or it could be ignored. I don't intend to micromanage someone as they work on this. I just need a tool for my games.

TL;DR? I'm jaded.

Helix

Oct 24, 2015
It sounds to me like you want a form like this: http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

BUT, you would also like the feature to automatically populate all fields that you have not manually edited. So, if you don't touch anything and then click Generate, you will be given a completely random character. But if you set class 1 to "lvl 2 ranger" and class 2 to "lvl 1 fighter", you will get a random one, that has those properties you specified. Basically a generator with the ability to override fields.

Additionally it sound like you want some custom rules within the generator itself that make sure backstory and maybe some more combinations make sense every time. Now, I couldn't find any "backstory elements" in the quick google search I did, but you could probably solve that by having several fields for things like "Grew up in:", "Education level:", "Has wife:", "Has children:" etc. The generator would then combine those fields into human readable text. This last part is a little similar to what a lot of these text games do actually.

A big part of that job would be populating each field with available choices.

You're absolutely sure this doesn't already exist? It sounds like something someone would have made already...