List of Jobs & Skills

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well there is also 2nd phys skill Frenzy (I think it count as like this as it's under skill type of attacks listed) that have cast time too. But yup all others skills non-magical in nature are instantcast ones aside those 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
Except Set Trap (which would be pretty poor even if it was instant).

How does the whole initiative system even work?

http://wiki.smutosaur.us/Foestats

Initiative

Your initiative is a measure of how fast your character moves. When your initiative reaches 100, you get to take your turn. 100 initiative is then subtracted from your total, and so forth.

Initiative per round is calculated via:

SQRT(2*dex+int)

The explanation above always confused me, but I think that if you use a casting time of less than 100 (say spray 50) then the spell occurs 50 initiative point later, but before your next action. If you use one with over 100 points (say eruption 110) then the next time you would have acted you are described as casting (and in the case of eruption the spell then kicks in 10 initiative points after that). With the stinky proviso that if you get hit while casting you can lose focus and have to start all over again.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
So what is a round? Because by that formula, someone with 40 Dex and 20 Int would get to act once every ten rounds.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Except enemies are bound by the same formula. It's more a way of determining turn order, D&D-style. Major discrepancies in initiative allow for parties to get multiple turns before the other group can act, but "blank rounds" would be skipped over without comment.

Digital Terror

Feb 12, 2016
There already are... How much, 30 skills and spells? And each job adds more. It isn't good, since you'll likely use no more than 2-6 of them (single attack, aoe attack, few control skills, few support skills). The other skills would be either obsolete after obtaining more strong skills of the same type or from "weird" cathegory of skills which are good on paper but never worth to be actually used. Let's look into magic:

Surge (Cost: 5SP , Cast time: instant): Weak non-elemental magic, single target.
Fireball (Cost: 10SP , Cast time: 75): Fire magic, single target.
Freeze (Cost: 10SP , Cast time: 70): Ice magic, single target.
Bolt (Cost: 10SP , Cast time: 60): Thunder magic, single target.
Eruption (Cost: 30SP , Cast time: 110): Fire magic, targets all enemies.
Thorn (Cost: 15SP , Cast time: 75): Nature magic, single target.
Spray (Cost: 10SP , Cast time: 50): Water magic, single target.
Spire (Cost: 10SP , Cast time: 70): Bashing earth magic, single target.
Gust (Cost: 10SP , Cast time: 50): Slashing wind magic, single target.
Venom (Cost: 15SP , Cast time: 50): Poisons single target.
Stalagmite (Cost: 30SP , Cast time: 120): Earth magic, single target.

So, we have Surge as obvious replacement of basic attack (yet costing sp and being weak), one AoE skill (Eruption) and 9 (nine) skills of the same type - single-target direct damage. Which one to use? Why the hell we need 9 skills? Is nature magic and poison magic

When we are attacking, we have no idea if we used right type of attack. There should be some sort of "sense" to approximate target's resistances, or at least some hint about how effective attack was - did we hit weak spot, or tried something target especially protected from?

Right now, if you want to have a magic heavy party (like I prefer to use), you have to go trial and error on the enemies....and the same type of enemy might have different resists/vulns from fight to fight.  From previous fights you should know what sort of average damage you do with a particular spell, and if it hits a lot harder or weaker, then you know the current target's vuln/strength.  Other than trial and error, there is no way to know what will work best in a fight.

I agree 100% that there should be some way for a caster to 'sense' the target's strengths and weaknesses, kind of like the 'sense' ability works in TiTS to give tease vulns/resists.

Would a visible initiative score help so you could see if you could get a casting time in before the opponent acts?

Damage not shown as a total but split into its components, so you can see if that flame sword is cutting it?

Are these the sort of things you are looking for?

Or fuller descriptions if you hover over an ability?

Just trying to help you crystallize your demands

Nature magic is a damaging type attack (probably good against some undead and bad against an Ent)

Poison inflicts venom status that damages over time and may leave you KO (which is bad)

Water magic-hit by bucket loads of water (may drench you leaving you susceptible to thunder and Ice)

Ice magic- cold attack that may freeze you (freeze slows the victim)

Spire- quicker slightly less damage

Stalagmite- slower slightly more damage with a slight armor piercing thing (reduces defense) so for your tougher opponent

Don't get started on the attack vs defense thing it makes my eyes cross

So you party can do combo attacks such as

Spray (cast time 50 to drench[ increasing damage and likelihood of status affliction) with  Freeze (cast time 60 to freeze) then Bolt (cast time 70 to numb) stacking the status things (opponent will be slowed and miss some actions)

unfortunately as drench is not yet implemented this presently can't be done (WIP ) 

We have a visible initiative score, in a way.  As far as I can tell, all cast times that aren't instant take exactly 1 round, meaning you cast it on your next turn.  I haven't seen the turn order list get modified at all yet after prepping a spell at any rate.  If my character shows as moving 2x before the enemy and starts a spell (eruption) and I just pass the turn for the next 3 characters, the spell annihilates everything before they can do anything.

If there won't be a 'sense' ability to determine strengths/weaknesses before hurling spells, then perhaps a message or some other way to indicate that a particular attack was more effective than normal.  This would work for physical attacks too...did the slicing damage of a sword do less than normal (Think skeletons in D&D), or did a character using a club hit harder than they should have (again, think Skeletons)?  A fire attack against something strong vs fire might yield the message that the target shook off the minor scorching, while something vulnerable screams in agony.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
We've been talking things over. The entire stats and combat system is going to be torn down and replaced with something completely different. The current system has had no balancing thought given to it, and is a curve.

So... balance speculation at this point is kinda moot.

Alder

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 26, 2015
Keep in mind this is something in the far future, so don't be looking for it the next update. There is a lot of designing still to be done before anything will come out of this.

Klaital

Oct 22, 2015
How do you get Bruiser, though? The wiki talks about it being learned from Miranda at the Barracks, but I've never been able to find her there. She's always either at a gate or in the tavern.

I seem to recall noticing there being some kind of level requirement for your main character, like lvl 5 or 6 (character level that is), before the barracks scene even unlocks, could never find her there at lower level than that, after that Miranda seemed to be at the barracks pretty much all the time, and then you can learn bruiser if you have at least fighter level 4.

Patrick R. Key

Nov 20, 2015
So with the combat system being redesigned, would it be possible for players to change the default name of some of the skills in the future?