Lewd civilizations and cultures

RoamingPath

May 9, 2023
As Always I have no idea if I'm posing in the right spot, but this seems to be the creative people lair so I'll give It a shot.

If you had a database that could perfectly rappresent a civilization, be It a nation, a spieces or a small group, what would you create?

You can specify all aspects of It, from the culture and philosophy that they follow or antagonize to what pizza topping they consider taboo.

I'm asking this as reference to structure a database to share for free to everybody that needs something like this

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Not something I made, but what do you think of these guys:
Synth_fact_sheet_1_small.jpg

Synth_fact_sheet_2_small.jpg

Synth_fact_sheet_3_small.jpg
This is an Open-Source species, so if you want to you can use them.

RoamingPath

May 9, 2023
Not something I made, but what do you think of these guys:
Synth_fact_sheet_1_small.jpg

Synth_fact_sheet_2_small.jpg

Synth_fact_sheet_3_small.jpg
This is an Open-Source species, so if you want to you can use them.

This Is really good, thanks! Is there a source for open-source spieces out there Like a wiki or something? The more content like this I can get my hands on the better I can define the structure of the database that I'm Building.

To&Fro

Apr 14, 2020
I would be careful on getting too detailed. You really, really, really have to know where you are going to create a 'database' with details up front. Most authors work their way into the details, focusing only on what is needed to be known and when. This can lead, later on, to situations where you have to ret-con something, but most writers (if they've left things sufficiently vague) can do this without much harm.

Then you have writers like Tolkein, Herbert, et. al. that spend years developing their world with cultures, traditions, etc. This is kind of what I'm hearing you're asking to do... and if so, make damned certain you are ready to put in the time to do it. By time I mean... years. Sure you can start writing as you go but you'll be working only in outline mode for a long, long time. As you fill out details, you work them into your story. It's pretty much the hard road of writing and while it can net you a great, huge, story in the end... it's a commitment.

So, start small, work with the most top-down view of a people and start filling in the details as you need them to be in the story.

RoamingPath

May 9, 2023
I would be careful on getting too detailed. You really, really, really have to know where you are going to create a 'database' with details up front. Most authors work their way into the details, focusing only on what is needed to be known and when. This can lead, later on, to situations where you have to ret-con something, but most writers (if they've left things sufficiently vague) can do this without much harm.

Then you have writers like Tolkein, Herbert, et. al. that spend years developing their world with cultures, traditions, etc. This is kind of what I'm hearing you're asking to do... and if so, make damned certain you are ready to put in the time to do it. By time I mean... years. Sure you can start writing as you go but you'll be working only in outline mode for a long, long time. As you fill out details, you work them into your story. It's pretty much the hard road of writing and while it can net you a great, huge, story in the end... it's a commitment.

So, start small, work with the most top-down view of a people and start filling in the details as you need them to be in the story.

The database relies on user-added tags and attributes to represent abstract concepts as usable data, but the interpretation of said data is up to the program that reads from it. Since data fields can be left empty I think I should structure the database down to the smallest type of entry, even if these fields are almost never used; like you said the starting point to build a species is from the bottom-up, from the most atomic of aspects.
In the case that some data is missing it's up to the program to fill in the gaps and run consistency checks on its side, and if some data is useless to the program it should be trimmed during the import.

I should also mention at this point that I'm developing a little tech demo game that aims to use this database to populate a given world, this game reads the entries and the associated tags and attributes to create nations, villages, NPCs and quests.

World building is long and complicated but really fun hobby, so what I really want to offer is a framework for world builders to create their content and see their creations act it out in a simulated environment, similar to Stellaris, but down to the scale of a single person.