Knives Out and Glass Onion

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
Knives_Out_poster.jpeg
Glass_Onion_poster.jpg

Hey, just creating this thread because I watched both of these films and enjoyed them a whole lot and are a refreshing break from the constant stream of action flicks full of overwrought CGI fight scenes and grey color grading.

While watching the first film is not necessary to understand the second, I still would recommend it since it introduces the character of Benoit Blanc, who is played incredibly well by Daniel Craig. Both films have incredible casts, featuring well-acclaimed actors playing as entertainingly vile murder mystery characters, and the cinematography is used to help the story, which first deconstruct the classic mystery story before rebuilding them into something new.

One of the things that make these films great to watch, however, is that it is clear how much fun the actors are having with their roles. This is especially true compared to a lot of other productions, where it is clear the actors are just there for the paycheck.

Of course, that's my thoughts on them. Let me know what you think!

OribieND

Feb 20, 2022
Yes it's refreashing to have something else than a superheroe movies with somewhat a a budget but sadly not the best writting behind. Especially when they give you a flashback from a scene you saw but litteraly retcon what happen to do a "you didn't notice but mr leblanc is so so that he saw"
But they're good movie on an entertainement standpoint

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
Oh boy, is it negative opinion time already? If you actually liked either movie, feel free not to read on.

I had to suffer through the first one (after predicting who the villain was going to be) and googled the villain in the second one to see if it was who I thought it would be. I was right both times. I saved us the money to rent the second one at least.

Rian Johnson is not good at writing mystery. Or intrigue. Or anything of substance. Trust me, after Star Wars I lowered the bar into a shallow grave and he still managed to pass under it with a mocking limbo dance.

I'm not going to spoil anything (unless someone asks) but the solution in both "cases" is bleeding obvious because both villains are morons. If you enjoy that, you do you. I've seen more cunning from Scoobie-Doo baddies. (Johnson outright retconning what happened with his "reveals" doesn't help.)

At least I won't have to suffer through a hypothetical third one because the second film managed to insult the intelligence of the only Rian Johnson fan I still dare call a friend.

Reactions: Tinman

Alandir

Mar 16, 2022
Yes it's refreashing to have something else than a superheroe movies with somewhat a a budget but sadly not the best writting behind. Especially when they give you a flashback from a scene you saw but litteraly retcon what happen to do a "you didn't notice but mr leblanc is so so that he saw"
But they're good movie on an entertainement standpoint
Lol, that's not what happens. They show what really happens the first time, then when a character lies about what happens they show a falsified flashback. And then when the detective points out the lie they show the correct flashback again. The viewer was always able to notice these clues, if they pay attention.
You're free to not like the movie, but at least don't pretend like the movie "retconned" something, just because you didn't notice the clue when it was first shown.

Reactions: HeroicSpirit

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
Lol, that's not what happens. They show what really happens the first time, then when a character lies about what happens they show a falsified flashback. And then when the detective points out the lie they show the correct flashback again. The viewer was always able to notice these clues, if they pay attention.
You're free to not like the movie, but at least don't pretend like the movie "retconned" something, just because you didn't notice the clue when it was first shown.
Nooooo.

The scene where Detective I-don't-care is shown watching two of the characters have sex is later shown with the black woman behind another bush... where she clearly wasn't before when we actually watched the scene happening. Feeding the audience false information is not a mystery, it's grade-school level cheating.

The movie is garbage and I will never get over the amount of people desperately trying to keep this beached whale alive despite the fact that the evildoer is painfully obvious. The only two groups who actually think that's a good twist are the screenwriters and the terminally obtuse.

On the upside I now have more respect for M Night Shyamalan. Sure, his twists were also way too smug but at least they didn't insult the viewer's intelligence like this.

WatoroX

May 27, 2023
Love me a good ol' "who dun it?" movie, glass onion was spectacular:gedyum::gedyum:

Reactions: HeroicSpirit