Kiyoko Relatives?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Her sister became the leader of the clan when Kiyoko was trapped in the amulet. So yes, somewhere between 5 to 10 generations of relatives.

Her sister -> nieces and nephews -> great nieces and nephews -> great, great nieces and nephews and so on.

Reactions: Barakiel

Barakiel

Oct 6, 2019
Her sister became the leader of the clan when Kiyoko was trapped in the amulet. So yes, somewhere between 5 to 10 generations of relatives.

Her sister -> nieces and nephews -> great nieces and nephews -> great, great nieces and nephews and so on.

So it's other Kitsune that is the leader of the clan? I wonder if the news that Kiyoko is alive has arrived in the Old Country...

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
She's already given up her claim on her old position. Her sister's descendants have ruled their clan for 2 and a half centuries. Kiyoko's revival would throw that out the window and if she hadn't, well, that's a rival in the colonies that her distant relatives wouldn't want.

Barakiel

Oct 6, 2019
Wouldn't Kinu have any rights over the clan? or Kiyoko giving up her rights disqualifies Kinu?

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
It's a political mess we're trying to circumvent. If Kiyoko didn't surrender her bloodline's legal rights at this point, the end result would likely be a civil war.

Since that's something of a boner-killer, we're not going that way. Kiyoko and all descendants have no legal claim to their ancestral rights anymore, barring a ridiculously severe succession crisis.

Barakiel

Oct 6, 2019
This stuff is specifically dealt with in the game, first through normal conversation about Kiyoko not wanting to rock the boat, then a scene where she and Kinu sign an official document revoking their rights to any claim of Kiyoko's previous political positions and clan assets and holdings.

They did that in game or are you just speculating?

Thanks for the answers!

Shadow5

May 7, 2018
In one sense, I'm kinda disappointed to not see the after-effects of what would happen, but I totally get why it can't happen in the game. I find these ripple effects on the world extremely compelling.

Especially the Champion becoming the "handpicked champion of Keros". As Kura even mentions when she first sees them post-transformation, "there will be those who despise you because of who you were and what you've become" (paraphrasing as I didn't copy/paste her dialogue). I know everyone is trying to maintain face and stability/the status quo, but Kinu even mentions how she thinks that the colonial Kitsune look at her as a way of increasing their standing back in the Old Country. And the abdication scene is very interesting, though the rep is irritating with her being barely polite to them which just further cements how little they think of the colonies.

If I was in the Old Country, I'd be very concerned with what was happening in the colonies, especially in the region where a disgraced governess currently leads. The colonies now have a Den Mother descended from Chizuru reborn personally by Keros, with a potentially very large brood already, married (personally blessed by Keros) to the handpicked Champion of Keros, who was reborn (again, personally by Keros) into a Kitsune. That's a lot of personal involvement by their patron deity on a specific couple away from the Emperor's court. I could imagine the whispered discussions being had there, and the backroom intrigue that would result. Of course, the fact that Keros is personally involved may temper any attempts on them (don't want to piss him off), but as word spreads in the colonies about this powerful couple, especially as the war against Kasyrra progresses and their fame grows, may prompt many to ask why they should listen to the Cherry Blossom throne anymore, leading to what Trisitan Black says, a civil war.

I think that's what I love the most about this game the most. Come for the sex, but stay for the geopolitical intrigue and world changing events. The damn good writing doesn't hurt either.

Shadow5

May 7, 2018
How would that happen? Keros would step in immediately and severely punish anyone who participated in such an act.

Either he would step in, or he's trying to shake things up to force The Old Country to become involved in the coming war. I mean, why would he become personally involved with two specific people so fully, select a non-Kitsune to be his champion knowing full well that instead of picking a "pure" Kitsune he created a new one from a barbarian race. He's clearing trying to send a message to his people.

He may not allow it to progress to a full on civil war, but he may be trying to elevate the colonies to bring them into the world more as representatives of Kitsune culture instead of being isolated, especially with Kasyrra and a possible bigger threat. IDK, I just like the possibility of such a massive upheaval happening because a non-Kitsune fell in love with Kiyoko, and decided to become Champion for her.

Reactions: QualityCuntrol

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I think Keros would step in before any civil war started, but then that's trying to resolve a major conflict while there's another brewing the Frost Marches, distracting and all that.

But even if there weren't any civil war, there would certainly be some resentment. Off the top of my head:
- Resentment from Kiyoko's distant kin, that they might have to lose their position of power and return to being a branch family (if a familial system like that operates in the Old Country). Especially if (from their perspective) that its true that a Den Mother who had already been in line to the position was indeed resurrected by Keros Himself. That's two and a half centuries of control, lost.
- Resentment from other clans who have either gained or lost power due to Kiyoko's sister taking over the clan, and the actions of her own descendants. Not that this resentment would all be directed at Kiyoko, but rather clan Otomo itself and they might want Kiyoko or her daughter to take over.
- Resentment from people who dislike the idea that Keros has chosen a barbarian to be His Champion. No matter what the Champion does or accomplished, from their perspective, it is still an outsider in a position of power, prestige and honour in their society.
- Certain families or classes might not want an upstart colony making waves from over the sea, disrupting the order in place.

Kiyoko's return and her beloved (potentially) being the Chosen Champion of Keros will have distruptive effects on the society of the Old Country, no matter what happens. There will be some who see this as a crisis and some who will see it as an opportunity. And some who will see it as a crisortunity. If the order of the Old Country is a serene pond at rest, Kiyoko's return and (potentially) the Champion of Keros, have just hurled a giant fuckin' rock into that pond. Its going to send ripples out and its going to bring changes. And at the end of the day, those ripples might ebb away, everything becomes serene again, but it won't change the fact that there's a giant fuckin' rock in that pond now and society in the Old Country will never be the same again.

Of course, unless the writers have their own ideas on what happens.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Its all the same trickster god.

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
One's as good as the other really.