Kinu Magic Lesson, Why Isn't Minstrel Valid to Teach?

Shadow5

May 7, 2018
I find it odd that as a minstrel (or bard as I always refer to it) I can't offer to help teach Kinu magic during the Magic Lesson scene, but instead only a mage can, or I can bring a Quarterstaff.

I mean, I'm slinging magic buffs/debuffs/offensive attacks in battle using my voice, instrument, or dance which is very different than either mages (staves or magical implements), or Kitsune (uses scrolls). I'd figure Kiyoko would be very happy to have help in teaching this different method of spell casting, especially since Kinu learns to play the koto or shakuhachi.

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
Probably because she's learning specifically mage craft and it's theories and how it differs from Kitsune magic, not the random bag of tricks you've picked up along the way, like praying for holy fire or screaming at an enemy to shake their resolve, I imagine. 'sides she doesn't need the staff to do Northern magic, it's merely to show Kinu the similarities and differences between the Northerners' focus on staves and totems and their scrolls.

Reactions: Paradox01

Malpha

Feb 22, 2016
What's all this talk about bard and instrument magic anyway. I can't get Ivris to mention instruments, she only hands you a staff for magic training, and all spell descriptions for Charmer spells are songs and dances. Not all bards use magic either, so I feel that's not even the right way to describe it.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
All this talk about bards makes me want to start a new game, focus on summoning magic, and have this guy as my PC:
5229db7c9ec94abbf34da9a4393be94e.jpg

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
The thing is, magic doesn't come in a "one school fits all" approach. We've seen that with the difference between the use of scrolls in the Old Country and the use of a physical focus in Northern magic. But there's enough of a similarity and difference between the two to allow Kiyoko to teach Kinu.

A Charmer (because minstrel is only your background, not the class), is defined as "these rare souls (who) learn to blend magic and sensuality together into a unique performance that inspires lust and courage."

Which could be a polite way of saying that the Champion is fantasy version of a stripper. Which might be why Kiyoko might not want your 8 year old daughter learning that particular school of magic.

Shadow5

May 7, 2018
The thing is, magic doesn't come in a "one school fits all" approach. We've seen that with the difference between the use of scrolls in the Old Country and the use of a physical focus in Northern magic. But there's enough of a similarity and difference between the two to allow Kiyoko to teach Kinu.

A Charmer (because minstrel is only your background, not the class), is defined as "these rare souls (who) learn to blend magic and sensuality together into a unique performance that inspires lust and courage."

Which could be a polite way of saying that the Champion is fantasy version of a stripper. Which might be why Kiyoko might not want your 8 year old daughter learning that particular school of magic.

I disagree with that assessment. What your saying is that Courtesans, Minstrels, Nobel Scions, Hunters, and Scholars all abandon their training and lasts and become “strippers”. I interpret it as the Charmer is the overall class, but five Backgrounds are the specializations.

You highlight lust and I don’t disagree that that can be a method for the Charmer, however I can easily play (and do) a Charmer who never uses lust based spells. Instead I use Bolstering Dance to inspire, War Song to frighten the enemy, and then wade into hand to hand, and it works.

Plus the next sentence in the description for Charmer is:
As a charmer, you know how to bolster the courage and the fighting spirit of your companions, and how to sap the wills of those who oppose you. Song, spell, and your sensual body are all means to your ends.

Also, from Ivress I can learn all of the Black Mage spells and use them. I picture it kinda like Kubo, where I use music to invoke the spells as a Minstrel Charmer. I strum of the strings and I send a Power Wave at the enemy, a dance before the fight starts and my friends are Bolstered.