Just curious how big is Tavros station?

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I was just curious about how large the station is in relative size miles/kilometers. I have to guess it's a large station after all, possibly city sized but I always wondered the size of the station.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Depends on it's exact construction, but I imagine it as anywhere from typically w40k imperial ship upwards to the Citadel or the fuckhuge 40k ships such as the Phalanx. Which are basically the same size according to one comparison I've heard

Last edited by a moderator:

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Non helpful answer: A mysterious, vague number that balloons in size with new content.

Hmm... I always thought the station was made up of a multitude of rings connected to a central pillar. I don't know where the ship hanger plays into that though, but it's unlikely to extend beyond the diameter of the rings unless it's the base of the pillar... If we knew how long it takes to traverse one square, you could at least figure out the general size of the shop ring's length. The residential deck could be a floor of the central pillar + the connecting rods to the circle... Whether the shop ring is one of the bigger ones, and the number of rings is unknown though, so guesstimations are limited.

As for why I see the construction that way, one poster on the old forum threw down a bunch of sketches of the station and Mhen'ga, and Fenco seemed quite happy with the visualization.

...Since Fenco said capital ships are a go and that Tavros is equipped to support them, Tavros would have to be pretty freaking huge, or the ship's gravity well would break the station.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I was only think of this because I got back into X Rebirth. Honestly there isn't a recent space sim like it that does the scale of it. Game had a very rocky start but it's a LOT better now than it was when it was first released. Scale of the stations in that game are big, very massive actually compared to the previous games in the series, exempting the size of Terran stations in X3TC and X3AP (those stations were BIG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZ9gRMStVE

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Neat video, the architecture reminds me of the collection of ships from pso's opening.

Did a quick check cause I was curious btw, and 1 tile takes 1 minute to traverse. Both the shop and residential floors currently accessible are 7x7 tiles, so take seven minutes from one side to the other. Let's say you can walk the length of 1 city block in a minute. Google tells me 1 mile in Vancouver is 16 blocks. 7/16= 0.4375 miles, or 0.7km. Since I'm lazy and the holes are inconsistent, each floor is 0.7km^2. So~ guesstimate how many floors there are and there you go. ex: At 30 floors Tavros would be 30km^2. Vancouver's a relatively small city, but is still 115km^2. Tavros is small. Then again, even the initial information is subjective as hell.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Tavros is sufficiently large that only capital ships can't fit in the hangar bay, which is one of several such hangars.  It should be at least a kilometer in diameter, if not two or three.

Spikes

Aug 27, 2015
If I had to throw a guess out I would assume somewhere in the neighborhood of Death Star sized (when the game is 100% done). Or at least half that size.

https://youtu.be/8Nho44lGVV8

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
that's very massive... death star sized is hundreds of kilometers in size, Hell the Super Star Dreadnaught (darth vaders command ship) was only around between 15 km to 25 km in length.

Spikes

Aug 27, 2015
that's very massive... death star sized is hundreds of kilometers in size, Hell the Super Star Dreadnaught (darth vaders command ship) was only around between 15 km to 25 km in length.

Well your father was one of the wealthiest people in the known galaxy. Just be grateful he didn't decide on buying a planet. Although I suppose the fact that the company owns the mineral rights to several planets DOES mean you kind of own a few (once you get ownership of the company).

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I do hope we get to personally take control of a planet.

Preferably the ant planet, via the queen Nyrea chick. Cus fuck the ants.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
It is not the size of a moon.

It is likely measured in two international airport size, as most sci-fi stations are.

Spikes

Aug 27, 2015
Honestly I know. I just want EvE Online sized 13 KM super capitals. Blarg.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
I want one of those 25km Star Wars ships myself. 

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
lol... what have I done by opening this discussion HAHAHA! I must be insane... well considering the place this is I guess we're all a few cards short of a full deck :p