Is this game about corruption?

B

Bob69

First time tried out game about week ago. Overall game feels ok, besides unnecessary complex combat, not hard if you get companions, just cumbersome.

I cant figure out where is corruption path in this game. Cant find any traces of corruption related tf items in wiki. Just bunch of minor scenes and one corruption related bad end as far as i can understand from corruption wiki page.

This game doesn't look like sequel nor does it feel anything like CoC1. There is just some random main antagonist from CoC1 world. Not much slaves or anything like this as it was in CoC1 mentioned in wiki. Just a generic sex themed text game with bunch of furry tf and over-complicated combat for this genre. I feel there is disconnect between content and name of this game. From what i could gather from wiki and limited playthrough game is missing integral part of its name. TiTS feels more fucked up(=better) than this game and CoC2 name would be more fitting to TiTS rather than to this game as it is now.

TheShepard256

CoC2 is intentionally different from the original CoC on many levels both in- and out-of-universe, so if you come in expecting them to be pretty much the same, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Corruption in CoC2 isn't something that's been there forever; rather, it's something that's only recently been introduced and is being actively spread, so unlike in CoC, we can get a true sense of what things were like before being corrupted. The main antagonist is supposed to be relevant to the Champion directly, rather than just someone who we never even meet until the final dungeon. Combat is intended to be difficult or even impossible without companions, since those companions are designed to be much more relevant to the Champion's story than they were in CoC or TiTS. These differences don't make CoC2 worse than CoC, they highlight that they're two different stories set in different parts of the same universe (well, multiverse).

Also keep in mind that the game is still under development, and there will be options to corrupt companions (and likely others as well) in the future.

Squirrelwagon

Jun 15, 2016
It’s also important to keep in mind that the type of corruption that’s the focus in this game isn’t the same as CoC1: CoC1 was a lot of physical corruption, but CoC2 is about emotional and psychological corruption.

If you get 75 corruption and aren’t a bimbo, the text changes how the PC interacts with the world: they become more selfish, lack empathy, only care about their own pleasure. It’s then really difficult to get rid of that corruption, you have to bring it back down under 25 to revert back to the regular Champion personality.

CoC2 is also a lot more story driven than the first game, so that’s something to keep in mind as well. The story’s going somewhere, but it’s going to take time before we see the completed project.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Squirrelwagon has already mentioned it, but the entire theme of the game is about corruption of the soul, instead of corruption of the body. In the first, once you lost your humanity, you could never go back to being human. There is no such limitation here, but corruption is "sticky" and much more difficult to get rid of than walking around the lake or seeing Jojo/Arian a couple of times. It's meant to be non-obvious, seductive, and insidious; by the time physical transformations begin to take place people are already too far gone that they don't want to be cleansed and are permanently broken.

Or are they?

Considering the main antagonist of the game, Kasyrra, is the seed of corruption that takes root within the world and is very plainly and obviously demonic to the core -- yet she remains one of our most popular characters, with people loving her and making all sorts of excuses for her actions on the forums. This, of course, is by design. Just because someone isn't sporting goat horns and cloven hooves doesn't mean they aren't corrupted; the champion can already meet many kinds of corrupted beings from tentacled cultists to eldritch abominations to soulless vampiric husks. Are they obvious? Yes and no. Do they act "stereotypically" corrupted? Yes and no. What does corruption really mean? Is it just the lack of a soul? Is it physically transforming? Is it acting in a self-serving manner, or a libidinous one?

In no way should you use the first game as any kind of yardstick in which to set expectations for the second. We're not here to make an exact copy of the game that was made all those years ago, so many people have tried to copy the formula of CoC1 to varying degrees of success.

I can't speak for other writers, but I personally find moral choices between "eat babies" and "pet kittens", plain paragon/renegade decisions boring and binary. Mustache-twirling villainy isn't interesting, dark or intimidating, it's simply comical. I, at least, want to see how people and players fall prey to corruption, to walk them down the path of well-intentioned rationalisations for their actions. "Om nom nom I sucked off a guy and now I'm evil" is about the most blase story of someone's moral downfall I could imagine, right next to waking up on the wrong side of the bed and deciding to murder, pillage, enslave and rape.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
My own character's fairly heroic and "pure," on many levels. She's also a wanton slut addicted to sex and pregnancy, being both mother and father to endless kids.

In terms of characterization, I have her desiring to save/improve the world around her, but also having something of a fatal attraction to Kasyrra. Whenever the two meet, they always end up fucking. She knows this is a bad thing, but she can't stop herself and doesn't entirely want to.

And all this while studiously maintaining a corruption level of 0. I've been rather happy that Winterstem is so easy to stockpile now. I like the idea that my Champion's corruption isn't one that measures on the standard scale.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Just because someone isn't sporting goat horns and cloven hooves doesn't mean they aren't corrupted
Conversely, I love having my PC look demonic but play her as more Chaotic Good.

Reactions: Kesil

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
I like the idea that my Champion's corruption isn't one that measures on the standard scale.

For a good example of corruption in this game, consider the transformation of Brint into Brienne. Something wrong is clearly happening to your minotaur friend, he tells you about it. The champion clearly knows that something is serious, it shouldn't be ignored, and it's not something that can be blown off. However you cut it, any action that results in Brint turning into Brienne -- I.E, not taking him to the church -- is a dangerous and self-serving course of action. For whatever reason the champion comes up with, holding back that information and forcibly transforming someone against their will is a classically corrupt action. The fact that Brienne is fine with it afterwards doesn't make the action any less self-serving.

And it's great that like their interactions with Kasyrra, players will actively try and defend and justify this choice to the death... because big cow titties or "I'm sure he was going to I AM A BIG STINKY BRAIN me". That's great. The champion isn't just the one being corrupted, the player's also being corrupted, and it's wonderful to see.

We don't need slaves and whips and big demon horns to point out this corruption, we don't need mustache-twirling villains. All we need is for Wsan to work his magic and leave breadcrumb trails with characters like Brienne and Evelyn for players to follow; the best corruption is the kind where you don't even know it's happening until it's too late, if at all.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
All we need is for Wsan to work his magic and leave breadcrumb trails with characters like Brienne and Evelyn for players to follow; the best corruption is the kind where you don't even know it's happening until it's too late, if at all.
My Champion doesn't have a problem and neither do I, we can quit any time we like! :p

<goes off to worship Evelyn's ass some more>

Soldier660

Feb 9, 2018
Brazil
For a good example of corruption in this game, consider the transformation of Brint into Brienne. Something wrong is clearly happening to your minotaur friend, he tells you about it. The champion clearly knows that something is serious, it shouldn't be ignored, and it's not something that can be blown off. However you cut it, any action that results in Brint turning into Brienne -- I.E, not taking him to the church -- is a dangerous and self-serving course of action. For whatever reason the champion comes up with, holding back that information and forcibly transforming someone against their will is a classically corrupt action. The fact that Brienne is fine with it afterwards doesn't make the action any less self-serving.

And it's great that like their interactions with Kasyrra, players will actively try and defend and justify this choice to the death... because big cow titties or "I'm sure he was going to I AM A BIG STINKY BRAIN me". That's great. The champion isn't just the one being corrupted, the player's also being corrupted, and it's wonderful to see.

We don't need slaves and whips and big demon horns to point out this corruption, we don't need mustache-twirling villains. All we need is for Wsan to work his magic and leave breadcrumb trails with characters like Brienne and Evelyn for players to follow; the best corruption is the kind where you don't even know it's happening until it's too late, if at all.

Stop with the daam Temptation please !!!

Enought is Enought XD !!!

Also for some reason people love Evelyn a lot, i dont get it.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
She has a winning personality, a hot body, and looks killer in red.

And yes, I turned Brint into Brienne too. The in-character justification is that my champion just wanted to see what would happen. Out of character, I'm male and heterosexual, and as much of an addict to the concept of breeding as my champion is to the actual act.

Soldier660

Feb 9, 2018
Brazil
She has a winning personality, a hot body, and looks killer in red.

And yes, I turned Brint into Brienne too. The in-character justification is that my champion just wanted to see what would happen. Out of character, I'm male and heterosexual, and as much of an addict to the concept of breeding as my champion is to the actual act.
Corruption Plus 10 to you, But i´m not Judging, She is a hot.

Reactions: Tristan Black

Squirrelwagon

Jun 15, 2016

Eh, different strokes for different folks. A lot of people are really into a gentle dominant woman who has all of the control and makes you feel loved and small and cherished. Her sex scenes are some of the softest ones in the game and I adore them and love letting my Champ lose his virginity to her, with her penetrating.

If it doesn't make sense to you though, if it doesn't turn you on, it's not really something you can "get", however. Because, well, kinks and fetishes and turn-ons are really personal things, even if they're not necessarily unique.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
She's got an amazingly sexy personality, she looks smoking hot in or out of that red dress and she's got a massive penis and a desire to make you her bitch with it, but in a loving way rather than a degrading one. Some people like that, y'know? I've got a couple Champions I'm playing as totally into that. One of them has as their entire 'hook' that she's power-bottoming her way through Savarra, then they ran into Evelyn who's teaching them how enjoyable it can be to let someone else take total charge.

The in-character justification is that my champion just wanted to see what would happen..
That was pretty much why my Corruption-focused Charmer let it happen. 'Hey, I wonder what this will do... should be interesting either way'. And I'm playing another as someone who thinks life works like in heroic epics and makes a lot of choices that aren't always the brightest from a player perspective but fit with their mindset. Like killing the Alraune (corruption=always bad=kill) or trying to beat the orc lodge into submission because they don't have the talent to incite a brawl and Heroes Don't Use Drugs, or something like that. Which is basically a justification for playing out options I avoid on other runs.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Basically, my courtesan thinks that love (read: sex) always makes life better, and is more than happy to spread any love she can.

This makes her very susceptible to Kas and her charms, hence the fatal attraction. Despite this, she's highly aware of the damage Kas is causing, and doesn't hesitate to kill those too corrupted to save. Imps and demonic centaurs don't tend to live long around her.

Soldier660

Feb 9, 2018
Brazil
Basically, my courtesan thinks that love (read: sex) always makes life better, and is more than happy to spread any love she can.

This makes her very susceptible to Kas and her charms, hence the fatal attraction. Despite this, she's highly aware of the damage Kas is causing, and doesn't hesitate to kill those too corrupted to save. Imps and demonic centaurs don't tend to live long around her.
Cait Aproves your idea of love.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Well, Lilith wasn't raised a Mallachite, but she does give service to the patron god of her race. What kind of service depends on what is asked of her.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Well, Lilith wasn't raised a Mallachite, but she does give service to the patron god of her race.
Lip service, perhaps? :D

I have a feeling that whenever the Cait quest that involves her founding a Mallachite temple in the old ruins by the castle gets implemented, there's gonna be a lot of people lining up for her to 'baptize' them into the faith.