Invincible Master Whisper?

JVR

Sep 2, 2018
Does anyone know how to kill this guy? I lose EVERY SINGLE TIME, and we're all Level 4 (Black Mage, Cait, Brint). Do I need to be Level 1,000 to win this encounter?! For now at least, I'm writing off the Getting Into The Closet quest - it just can't be done. Even using the Ley Crystal Grenade doesn't help - he just locks me down and then it's an auto-defeat; you can't win a fight you're not allowed to fight in.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I beat him first try with a Thief/Etheryn/Brint combo. Just stabbed him with the Spiral Blade and threw fireballs at him.

Libelous

Aug 2, 2016
If your tactic/style of battle ain't workin, try a different strategy

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Whisper is designed to be fast, evasive, and able to use his debuffs to further boost his damage with twist the knife, but he doesn't have much in the way of defenses if you actually manage to hit him; his AI is designed to keep the pressure on you. Use abilities that either don't target evasion, boost accuracy, or provide a save even if you miss. Bring remedies to clear debuffs if, say, Cait gets silenced. That you are using Brint, the mighty glacier prone to missing, against an extremely evasive opponent raises questions, although Brint got buffed a little last patch.

Many people have managed it. It's balanced for level 3.

Last edited:

JVR

Sep 2, 2018
Well, using the Save Editor to boost all my stats past 20 seemed to finally work, but I didn't want to resort to that if didn't have to. Maybe Black Mage just isn't a good class. Or maybe I need better companions. A ranged damage / healer / melee damage party seemed pretty decently balanced to me, but I'll have to look into other companions. The wiki seems a bit out of date, though, so some of this is "learn as you go."

Last edited:

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Overlevelled person complains of difficult encounter, doesn't change tactics, equipment, ability loadout or companions, blames external factors for failure and cheats to win when easy mode exists.

This is fine. I'm okay with events as they are progressing.

JVR

Sep 2, 2018
Overlevelled person complains of difficult encounter, doesn't change tactics, equipment, ability loadout or companions, blames external factors for failure and cheats to win when easy mode exists.

This is fine. I'm okay with events as they are progressing.
Well, I was asking what I should be doing differently, but I'm not exactly seeing any specific suggestions about tactics or equipment in your "advice" here, so I'll use what I have to. Though I did forget about the Easy Mode - the "quick fix" might be to toggle that on for just this one fight / dungeon. The main point is that I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I was trying to do different things each time, but none of them seeming to be working.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Ah, I have not. I've kind of been afraid to use that, actually, as I've been afraid it would use up my turn in combat. Does it?
It does. Though the stats don't change each time you fight him, so you can take the knowledge for the next attempt even if you lose.

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
You are a Black mage have you considered mental rather than physical attacks?

[I did it first time with Darkmage lvl4 Cait and Berwyn, as you were complaining I went and reran it I won 5 of 6 tries]

JVR

Sep 2, 2018
You are a Black mage have you considered mental rather than physical attacks?

[I did it first time with Darkmage lvl4 Cait and Berwyn, as you were complaining I went and reran it I won 5 of 6 tries]
Soul Arrow or Shadow Magic? That's a good suggestion. I've been relying on physical damage - Lightning Bolt, Fireball, and Summon Flame Spirit. I'll try Soul Arrow against him.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
As a Charmer, I tend to rely on seduction and physical attack. But I also rely on a good party I'm in full control of. I rarely have a fight I can't win in this game, but the challenge rating's good.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Does anyone know how to kill this guy? I lose EVERY SINGLE TIME, and we're all Level 4 (Black Mage, Cait, Brint). Do I need to be Level 1,000 to win this encounter?! For now at least, I'm writing off the Getting Into The Closet quest - it just can't be done. Even using the Ley Crystal Grenade doesn't help - he just locks me down and then it's an auto-defeat; you can't win a fight you're not allowed to fight in.

Do you have Kiyoko as a Summon? I beat him pretty easily on the first go with the exact same party combo as you. Kiyoko’s Illusions work pretty darn well and she has a good damaging ability too.

Also, my exact moves as a Black Mage are:

Withering Bolt
Lightning Strike
Blight Orb
Summon Kiyoko

I started with summoning Kiyoko, then Blight Orb, then Lightning Strike, then spammed W. Bolt until the fight ended.