Indentured servitude and maths.

attaggee

Oct 4, 2015
something out of pure curiosity in regards to the indentured servitude is that you have to make it possible for them to pay it off, at least according to Reaha.
"You can’t just keep me forever, dummy! Read the contract - you have to give me a fair way to pay my debt back. And now that I’m not wasting everything I scrape together on patches, I can actually work on paying my contract off. Unless you wanna boot me off the ship to get a real job, you’ve got to let me do something to make money"

I mean, afaik we don't really get a scope on the average income a day for most characters, apart from someone like Reaha for which we can calculate one based on whoring and milking respectively. In my case these were the 2 forms of income for her:

1. Reaha pays it off in ~47 days, starting from the day she has the "I'm cured" talk and with whoring as job, averaging at ~108credits per day.
  2. Reaha pays it off in ~82 days, starting from the day she has the "I'm cured" talk and with the milking as job, averaging at ~65credits per day.

If we apply the whoring income to Yammi she should be free in ~65 days while it would be ~108 days with the milking income. Although she says she'd be free within 7 standard pay-cycles, so 1000 per cycle. I'm assuming that she also quickly dismisses any form of freedom by saying

“My ex-owners are really angry. I don’t care though!” She laughs, then hugs your arm. “Okay! Where to, Boss? Your ship has a kitchen, right? Galley? Whatever it’s called? I can cook; I promise you won’t regret this!”

You inquire if she isn’t perhaps interested in her freedom instead of latching onto you so quickly. She kisses you on the cheek.

“You have a ship. You’re going all over the place. Don’t tell me you couldn’t use a fresh-made hot meal! And don’t worry, I can take care of myself. If we get boarded, I’ll just duck into my water tank and turn it real cold, it slows my life signs down to undetectable levels. And I have basic self defense training, in case of robbery!” She insists, picking up her bag of clothes and whatever personal effects she has. “I won’t be in your way and I won’t charge you anything for the services. I promise! Besides, I can breathe underwater. I can be useful for finding things!”

unless the thing with Yammi is not the PC buying out the remainder of the contract and instead donating her freedom to her, which might be the case since her being indentured to the PC doesn't get mentioned anywhere.

She seems really interested in being free. If we apply the whoring income to her she'd be free within ~139 days, while the milking income would leave her at ~231 days before freedom, assuming her contract would cost 15000 credits. Now if you give her the required 15000 for turning her into a vendor she pays you back in 365 days with the 15000 credits and an interest of 20%, so 3000. This would put her at an income of ~50credits per day. Now under the assumption that she'll stay a vendor after paying the PC back she would be able to buy her freedom from the PC within 300 days after she payed the PC the 18000 for the shop.

My assumption to the whole "indentured servitude" thing is that the PC requires their crew to pay for rent, electricity, food, etc. so that we reach a +-0credits for any form of housekeeping. If that were the case the PC would have to charge all NPC's different amounts a day based on their standing. Celise would probably be charged 0credits, since she's essentially just a liquid loving pet. Reaha obviously spends any sort of money she earns while addicted to patches on them, and pays us relatively quickly back once she's sober as seen above, so we can assume that her charge would be no more than 20credits. Anno's share is probably being covered by steeletech so we assume her charge is 100credits, since Bess can be another steeletech employee her charge would be 100credits just like Anno's, or 0 if she isn't employed by steeletech. Yammi can be seen as either being the PC's employee, I'd assume her pay would be 75credits a day while her expenses are probably also at 75 since she has to cover for herself and the Pexiga, or she too is a steeletech employee so 100credits. I'd assume the gray-goo's charge would be 0, due to it not using up any sort of resources. The Varmint and Siegwulfe can be considered pets as well so 0, just like Celise.
if she is bought the first question for me would be the job she'd be fulfilling, unless getting fucked and trained by the PC is the job for which the PC pays her. Now obviously the PC could create a Catch-22 sort of scenario for Sera in which the money she earns has to be spent on her survival.
the problem with a Catch-22 would be that we cannot force cured Reaha into that sort of situation, at least not yet.

this is probably way too much thinking for it and way too convoluted etc. but it's something that kind of interests me. And I'd love to know other peoples views on this.

Last edited:

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
unless the thing with Yammi is not the PC buying out the remainder of the contract and instead donating her freedom to her, which might be the case since her being indentured to the PC doesn't get mentioned anywhere.
It is the latter. You hand her the money to pay off her own contract, unlike with Reaha where you buy her contract from the bitchy brothel mistress.
My assumption to the whole "indentured servitude" thing is that the PC requires his crew to pay for rent, electricity, food, etc. so that we reach a +-0credits for any form of housekeeping. If that were the case the PC would have to charge all NPC's different amounts a day based on their standing. Celise would probably be charged 0credits, since she's essentially just a liquid loving pet. Reaha obviously spends any sort of money she earns while addicted to patches on them, and pays us relatively quickly back once she's sober, as seen above, so we can assume that her charge would be no more than 20credits. Anno's share is probably being covered by steeletech so we assume her charge is 100credits, since Bess can be another steeletech employee her charge would be 100credits just like Anno's, or 0 if she isn't employed by steeletech. Yammi can be seen as either being the PC's employee, I'd assume her pay would be 75credits a day while her expenses are probably also at 75 since she has to cover for herself and the Pexiga, or she too is a steeletech employee so 100credits. I'd assume the gray-goo's charge would be 0, due to it not using up any sort of resources. The Varmint and Siegwulfe can be considered pets as well so 0, just like Celise.
My guess is that SteeleTech is quietly paying for all of this, and that the player's credits is their personal account. It works both in theory and as a convenient hand-wave to not add a bunch of math the game has to do with every change of day.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
Reahas contracts requires that she be given terms that aren't impossible to pay off but she can be hindered by stuff like drug addiction. Beth probably intentionally hooked her on those patches with the intention of having that expensive habit drive her further into debt/ prevent her from taking the initiative to improve her financial status. If you want to keep Reaha a debt slave don't help her kick her addiction.

Heh it would actually be an interesting jerkass option if Steel were at some point given the option to hook another character on those patches to put them into a similar debt slave position to Reaha...

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
Math is hard and nobody wants to come home to their ship to find out their slave-waifu just up and left because their contract was up.

Synthomatic

Jun 13, 2016
Reahas contracts requires that she be given terms that aren't impossible to pay off but she can be hindered by stuff like drug addiction. Beth probably intentionally hooked her on those patches with the intention of having that expensive habit drive her further into debt/ prevent her from taking the initiative to improve her financial status. If you want to keep Reaha a debt slave don't help her kick her addiction.

Heh it would actually be an interesting jerkass option if Steel were at some point given the option to hook another character on those patches to put them into a similar debt slave position to Reaha...

Pretty sure outright enslaving someone via drug addiction would be less of a 'jerkass' option and more 'legitmatly evil'

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
Well Steels already capable of planetary genocide. And one of the earliest quests in the game is selling a pair of Zill into slavery for medical experimentation... But yeah that Xenogen Zill capture quest is already within legitimately evil territory.

Reactions: Nik_van_Rijn

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
Well Steels already capable of planetary genocide. And one of the earliest quests in the game is selling a pair of Zill into slavery for medical experimentation... But yeah that Xenogen Zill capture quest is already within legitimately evil territory.
Except that it was explicitly stated that the zill were only held for a couple days and then released. Steele was not condemning them to a life of slavery.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
The were condemned to involuntary body modification. Body modifications that has rendered them to a mental state that is incapable of even seeking help for their new conditions. Which is basically what the drug addiction patch method tries to do. But yeah the zill eventually get released back into the wilds, but the things Xenogene did to them involuntarily will likely never be undone. And Steel is responsible for that. Steel is capable of being a pretty bastardly monster.

attaggee

Oct 4, 2015
Reahas contracts requires that she be given terms that aren't impossible to pay off but she can be hindered by stuff like drug addiction.

as far as I understand the lore all indentured servants have to be given the chance to pay off their debt. So while getting people addicted to drugs etc. would be a legitimate strategy for keeping them, I don't know about the rest.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
The were condemned to involuntary body modification. Body modifications that has rendered them to a mental state that is incapable of even seeking help for their new conditions. Which is basically what the drug addiction patch method tries to do. But yeah the zill eventually get released back into the wilds, but the things Xenogene did to them involuntarily will likely never be undone. And Steel is responsible for that. Steel is capable of being a pretty bastardly monster.
Yeah Steele can be a jerk by forcing them to get the mods, but the mods they get aren't something they would even think of getting rid of. Both get higher libidos, while the female gets bigger boobs and the male gets a bigger dick. To a zill whose's entire social system is based on screwing the other side into submission, those are gifts from on high. Also, the mods they get do not change their mental state, I don't know where you came up with that.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016

I mean, there is a reason that quest gives you a few hard points for actually doing it. Only 2 points as a whole, but it still gives you hard points to some degree for doing it.

Last edited:

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
It's quite a lot actually, iirc 20 points total. Nevermind

Last edited:

Zombiqaz

Nov 16, 2016
My assumption to the whole "indentured servitude" thing is that the PC requires their crew to pay for rent, electricity, food, etc. so that we reach a +-0credits for any form of housekeeping. If that were the case the PC would have to charge all NPC's different amounts a day based on their standing. Celise would probably be charged 0credits, since she's essentially just a liquid loving pet. Reaha obviously spends any sort of money she earns while addicted to patches on them, and pays us relatively quickly back once she's sober as seen above, so we can assume that her charge would be no more than 20credits. Anno's share is probably being covered by steeletech so we assume her charge is 100credits, since Bess can be another steeletech employee her charge would be 100credits just like Anno's, or 0 if she isn't employed by steeletech. Yammi can be seen as either being the PC's employee, I'd assume her pay would be 75credits a day while her expenses are probably also at 75 since she has to cover for herself and the Pexiga, or she too is a steeletech employee so 100credits. I'd assume the gray-goo's charge would be 0, due to it not using up any sort of resources. The Varmint and Siegwulfe can be considered pets as well so 0, just like Celise.

I'm pretty sure the main reason living costs (and crew salaries, etc.) aren't mentioned is because they'd just be a hassle to deal with and they wouldn't add anything to the game.

attaggee

Oct 4, 2015
I feel like most people view this from the purely mechanical point, I meant it from the lore point. Obviously it's way too much unnecessary work to code in cost of living and all that gunk to justify it existing. But I'm talking about how indentured servants can be kept indefinitely by any character in the lore of the game.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Kiro describes her period as an indentured servant in one of her dialogue chains. An indentured servant's owner is required to meet basic living needs of their servant, but can offer the option for better accomodations at cost to the servant. Many servants extend their contracts to get better food, better clothes, etc. than they would if they took the compulsory services. Kiro managed to get out of her servitude in a quick fashion by suffering the indignity of the compulsory options, and by being fortunate to have an owner who didn't use underhanded methods like Reaha's patches to keep her enslaved.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Kiro describes her period as an indentured servant in one of her dialogue chains. An indentured servant's owner is required to meet basic living needs of their servant, but can offer the option for better accomodations at cost to the servant. Many servants extend their contracts to get better food, better clothes, etc. than they would if they took the compulsory services. Kiro managed to get out of her servitude in a quick fashion by suffering the indignity of the compulsory options, and by being fortunate to have an owner who didn't use underhanded methods like Reaha's patches to keep her enslaved.
Uh, don't you mean Kally?