Idea for Overhaul Mod

Eon

Apr 17, 2016
Would it be possible to do a mod that sets CoC in a retro-post apocalyptic setting like Fallout? Or even to have a new game made using the base code? I saw a comic that gave me the idea, and I figured it would be cool to have a text based fallout adventure, with lots of smutty scenes and witty banter, as well as the ability to pick up companions

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Completely changing the setting and genre sounds more like an entirely new game, not a mod. Though you could certainly use CoC's base code... if you really wanted, but it's kind of (very) terrible.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
CoC is already apocalypse and TiTs has been a bunch of shitpile worlds so far, so you're basically set as is!

But yes, if you actually wanted to do this then you'd be making your own game entirely. 

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
If you want, you can do it. You could base it off my CoC mod code since I've spent a LOT of time cleaning up the code.

To be honest, vanilla CoC code is still messy. You're better off using the mod code. But I do wish you good luck.

Eon

Apr 17, 2016
If I knew how to actually make a mod using Kitteh6660's base code, I would jump on this faster than you could blink. If anyone could direct me to a basic tutorial on how to edit the code to get the ball rolling, I could probably teach myself how to do a passable job after one energy-drink fuelled night.

leftbracket

Oct 23, 2015
Man oh man, sign me the hell up! Unfortunately I'm batshit useless when it comes to coding, but if you ever need someone with a will to write for the sake of the story, I'm always around.

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016
As much as I love the Fallout universe for this kind of stuff and have written a chunk of material for it, using CoC as a base isn't gonna work. You'd be better off picking a different game/Kitteh's mod, or starting from scratch.

Mustang Flex

Aug 27, 2015
With the state of CoC's code, you'd probs be better off building a new game system entirely. You could still model the game's mechanics and UI after CoC, but it's code is really a mess.

ssm0use

Jan 9, 2016
Would it be possible to do a mod that sets CoC in a retro-post apocalyptic setting like Fallout? Or even to have a new game made using the base code? I saw a comic that gave me the idea, and I figured it would be cool to have a text based fallout adventure, with lots of smutty scenes and witty banter, as well as the ability to pick up companions

I love CoC and have played through the plain vanilla and the CoC Mod a bunch.  From a story perspective this might not be the best engine to make a Fallout type text game with lots of transformations.  Rather than drinking stuff off your battle victories or even transforms through sexual encounters like in Nuka's Flexible Survival, it might make more sense to fantasize the radiation zones and have those do weird things to players and NPCs.  Or have overly radiated mobs like the glowing ones transform if they beat you rather than just kill you out right.  The possibilities of such a settings are vast though.  

If you just wanted to play around with ideas without having to do a lot of coding at first you could try just doing some writing and have stuff happen in a basic engine such as Twine.  Though the functionality is much more limited in many ways, it might be good enough to at least make a demo and see if you could get buy in from others who would want to contribute ideas and expertise the project.