I thought that Arona would have been the Urdnot Wrex of CoC2

CboyC95

Jul 14, 2021
If you don't know who I'm talking about, Urdnot Wrex is a character from the Mass Effect series. In Mass Effect, Wrex is a krogan bounty hunter who the player bumps into early on. When players meet Wrex, he is bitter, standoffish, and temperamental. Later on, players recruit Wrex as a squad member. But when you talk to Wrex on the Normandy is when he opens up about the krogan, the genophage, how it is affecting his people, and how things got bad for his species. The more you talk to Wrex, the more it's evident how he is pragmatic but at the same time has sentimentality towards his people and doesn't want the krogan to go extinct and also has a code of honor he follows. Which made the standoff on Virmire even more tense. In Mass Effect 2, after the player decided to spare Wrex, he greets the player character, Shepard warmly. Even hearing Wrex say, "Shepard! My friend!" always bring a smile to my face. Another surprise growth from Wrex is who he’s gone from a pragmatic merc to a headstrong leader of his clan. And in Mass Effect 3, Wrex treats Shepard as a friend if they help him cure the genophage, and being able to unite the krogan against the Reapers.

Another thing about Wrex is that he’s not afraid to speak his own mind and is not hesitant to use force to get his way. For example, the aforementioned standoff on Virmire and when you arrive on Sur’Kesh in Mass Effect 3.

Which is why when I played CoC2, I figured Arona would have those similar qualities. Someone who is savage and combative, but is actually smarter than they appear, and can be talked into seeing the bigger picture. I figured that Arona doesn’t see eye-to-eye with Argoth and thought his plan was just foolish and leading her tribe astray but had no choice but to keep her mouth shut else of being shunned. And now sees the player character as a means of doing something about it. And if the player helps her depose Argoth and become the new chieftain, another thing I wish was added is her asking what she should do with her people now that she’s in charge: Either leave after the journey is over or stay and help set up trade with Hawkthorne.

SmithEK

Apr 20, 2021
Wrex is one of the best npcs in Mass Effect, killed him once and felt awful. Never again. I can see the similarities but Wrex imo is better than Arona.

TheShepard256

If anything, Argoth is more like Wrex, in that he has a vision for his people that requires doing things that aren't exactly popular with said people. Arona would be more like Wreav, being the traditionalist sibling that gets into power if the other one is unavailable for some reason (missing/dead in Wrex's case, deposed in Argoth's).

• Love
Reactions: Az'rain'el

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
They were never meant to be in any way similar, no. I'd never even thought of Wrex and Arona in the same context before now.

Reactions: PalletTown