I am the most useless black mage in the world. Please help?

bibbitybobbityboop

Aug 1, 2022
I just can't seem to get by, or often even survive, at early levels. Could someone please explain basic gameplay and other advice for black mage? I can make any other class work, but this is my kryptonite.

This is probably going to sound very weird to all the people who find the class very powerful.

Everblight

Sep 8, 2022
Priest garb Cait, any early game tank Atugia or arena armor Bring/Brienne.

For your power set try.
Weather bolt, White flame, Greece, and summon koyoko.

You can have this up and running as early as level 2.

Reactions: bibbitybobbityboop

bibbitybobbityboop

Aug 1, 2022
Priest garb Cait, any early game tank Atugia or arena armor Bring/Brienne.

For your power set try.
Weather bolt, White flame, Greece, and summon koyoko.

You can have this up and running as early as level 2.
Thank you, I'll give these things a shot. Also, your autocorrect is beautiful.

Reactions: Kesil

IraMorti

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah definitely keep with Wither Bolt as your at-will, learn Whitefire soon as possible because it's a great early game nuke spell with a short recharge and can stay with you for a while. For your second recharge lightning spike is fine until you hit level 2 - then you can either replace it with Blight Orb for extra hard hitting nuke (if you're okay with just wither bolt for aoe), go Grease to supplement your summon and whitefire. You could also supplement with more white mage powers like entropic winds to give you more damage type variation or blessing for a team buff.

Your encounter spells are really limited to Flame Spirit or Spirit Veil - or Kiyoko if you choose that route. So you can either go a support mage type or full damage early, and then your options expand when you hit level 4. Stat wise focusing on Willpower, Cunning, and Presence gives you the most options, but you can swap Presence for Agility to go full glass cannon and then replace your summon with a damage based encounter at level 4 and above.

I really like keeping Atugia as a tank early on because she has damage misdirection shields and a dot - she definitely got stronger now that stances autoapply at the start of the fight. Once you hit level 4 I really like having Soul Arrow as a replacement for Whitefire because a hard hitting nuke with a healing component on a short recharge is just really strong (as long as it can hit the opponent - doesn't work on constructs or anything with high mental resist). Good luck, fellow mage!