[HTML] The Great Pirate

APirateMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I am new here, but still wanted to share the game I am working on this summer - The Great Pirate. It is my first game, so any comments and recommendations are very welcome

Game concept
It is an open world game were you are pirate and sail in Caribbean sea searching for adventure: you can fight ships you meet, you can visit cities: improve your ship, take missions from characters, build your fame and relations with present countries.

At the end of day (or actually end of your days) you are measured by your impact on this world.

How to play
You start in a middle of the see and sail wherever you want: to closest port, to the point most far away from land, to Spain city, or to pirate city. Everytime you start cities and seas stay the same, however characters and their missions are generated randomly.
Your goal should be to get famous, get good relations with at least one country to be able to take mayor's (or maybe even governor's) missions. Also filling requests from ladies in any city will help you get some other rewards (if you know what I mean).

Ship battles
I invested much of my research time and development efforts on building and balancing turn based ship battles. When facing enemy you should consider their strength, number of cannons and crew available to reload them, ship's speed and maneuverability (hate to spell this word).
Your damage done to the ship’s hull / sails / cannons or crew is determined by distance between ships, your shooting angle and your orders to target.
During your turn you can decide to shoot or give navigational commands. In navigation you can decide to get to better shooting angle, do evasive maneuvers (to worsen enemy's shooting angle), get closer or more far away.
In my opinion AI is rather dull now, but I was afraid to do it more sophisticated without seeing player’s reaction - let me know if you find it too easy.

Missions
There are several different types of missions designed now, few of them available only to regular people, few can be given by mayor, and few by governor only. You should get enough fame to get mayors attention. And mayor can help you build better relations with his country by giving letter of marque. Letter of marque - a license to fit out an armed vessel and use it in the capture of enemy ships and to commit acts which would otherwise have constituted piracy. And when you will be liked in particular country, the governor may see you.

Characters
Every time you launch a game, it generates new set of characters. But only 14 of them has NSFW content related to them. So you have to meet the right females (when you meet a girl with real face - you probably want to help her more than these faceless characters).

Sexual content
Sexual content is m/f sex scenes: Anal Sex, Big Dicks, Big Tits, Blow Job, Cumshot, Cunnilingus, Handjob, Masturbation, Undressing, Sex.

So, no more talking, good luck pirates:
http://the-great-pirate.hostingerapp.com/

Few screenshots:
3.PNG
2.PNG
1.PNG

4.PNG
5.PNG
6.PNG
7.PNG
8.PNG

Last edited:

Humlebien

May 12, 2016
It's not bad for a start. The starting balance might need a bit of tweaking. Even when firing 6+ guns at perfect conditions, you hit with maybe 1 or 2. And hardly what was aimed for.

APirateMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, Humlebien,

thanks for playing.

I was trying to mimic real conditions of 17th centrury naval warfare. Despite the technical innovations in 17th century, naval cannon fire remained grossly inaccurate except at very close ranges. Lack of standardization, combined with inefficient gunpowder and the difficulties inherent in firing accurately from moving platforms resulted in extremely inaccurate firing.

And aiming also works under same conditions: you as captain order at what to aim, gunners orders powder monkeys and some of them manages to do aiming (maybe later experience of crew could be added to the game). How it works technically - your orders modifies probabilities of hitting specific targets, but not eliminates possibility to hit something else or miss totally.

karunama

Apr 17, 2016
You said you were looking for advice, and some of the most important advice I can give is that when you're trying to advertise your game, you need to be very descriptive about the sexual content it has/will have/will *not* have/etc.

The easiest way to do this is a list of pairings (I'm guessing m/f and f/f in your case) and fetishes. If you lack this info, most people won't risk touching your game or clicking any links for fear that they'll be assaulted by something they're not into.

The second most important advice I can give is to look for other projects, both successful and failed in order to learn *why* they succeeded or failed. There are plenty of examples of each on this forum.

APirateMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much.

Already put on some tags in my description, to be clear what to expect.
On second one, I am researching day and night:) however real "why" is quite hard to grasp, everyone has their own recipe. And... I try to grasp it with my understanding and what I believe is interesting in game. At the end of the day I am creating a game, which would be closer to what I am searching in web gaming: re-playable, open world where I can decide what I want to do, regular (no hard fetishes) sex scenes, and you have to work to get them (not-quick-fap-material).

Is it what actually players want?... I am not sure, what's why i posted a game quite early in development, to check back and make sure it's interesting not only for me :) And... maybe they don't know what they want until they tried :)

Humlebien

May 12, 2016
Hi, Humlebien,

thanks for playing.

I was trying to mimic real conditions of 17th centrury naval warfare. Despite the technical innovations in 17th century, naval cannon fire remained grossly inaccurate except at very close ranges. Lack of standardization, combined with inefficient gunpowder and the difficulties inherent in firing accurately from moving platforms resulted in extremely inaccurate firing.

And aiming also works under same conditions: you as captain order at what to aim, gunners orders powder monkeys and some of them manages to do aiming (maybe later experience of crew could be added to the game). How it works technically - your orders modifies probabilities of hitting specific targets, but not eliminates possibility to hit something else or miss totally.
I got that, and loving Sid Meyers Pirates, Black Flag etc,I much appreciate this game. It was more in the very beginning you can meet 12+ gun ships, that seem to have a very good crew/gun arrangement, compared to you, making even your first battle (unavoidable if unlucky) a non starter. Not everyone is as patient or skilled in naval games as others, so would think the first battle should be a bit more..... well tutorial like. Otherwise I like what I see, but will wait with any constructive critique until I feel I can actually add something.

APirateMaster

Jul 29, 2019
first battle should be a bit more..... well tutorial like.

Excellent, thank you :) I think I'll focus on creating that tonight:)
(for me battle system looked obvious, but I was creating it step-by-step and ... great observation, thanks!)

In future nearest I was thinking to tie your fame with probability to meet strong ship - now it's a absolutely random.
*Pst*, now usually strong ships are very slow - you can just run away from battle by dropping back far enough

Reactions: Humlebien

APirateMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Good day, lads,

Thank you for your valuable input. Today I release more friendly version of The Great Pirate - v1.0.5. Change log:

- some help in battle screens implemented. I hope it will help you win more battles.
- dynamic hiring system implemented: now not 3 crew members as default, but it will depend on your fame, relations with country and tavern owner.
- reduced mayor's fame requirement for first contact.
- gunners are a little bit better at following your orders.
- now your enemy ships has unique names, and at the end of your... career you get full list of ships you sunk.
- small layout fixes.

You can try it here:

Reactions: Humlebien

APirateMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

I wanted to share that today v1.1 becomes available for public:

Main improvements from last version:

- High scores system ! After your unfortunate death you can submit your stats to game's database - this will be monthly ranking table where you can explore how other players perform. @Obscure one more thing to surprise you ;)
- 2 new ship types added (caravel and brigantine). Adding was easy, hard part was making adjustments to battle system accordingly. After nearly hundred of battles I'm sure it's good enough until next few ships appearance. Also take a note, that every ship is unique in it's way - caravel is not equal to caravel: some are larger, some are faster, some are stronger. You can check possible differences in new "Ship list" screen.
- you can now take ship for yourself after it surrenders. What's the point of having ships if you can't sail them, right?
- double amount of female characters (28 instead of 14). And now it is dynamically calculated how much NSFW content you unlocked, for you to know how much still you have not seen. It is placed in missions list screen.
- some smaller adjustments: nicer ending screens, sailing time measured in minutes (not approximation in hours as it was before), and similar.

v1.2 is also coming to Patrons soon with storyline and economy in place:)

Have a nice sailing: