How to build an offensive magic caster?

Bunnyslut

Jan 18, 2019
It seems that physical setups just completely blow magical setups out of the water.
Am I missing something?
How do I make a wizard setup worth using?

Shion

Feb 5, 2017
There are two things about magic in this game.
Unlike weapons, spells depend upon the power for their base damage. Early spells have low base damage. It only starts to catch up to weapons with the level 4 powers.
Magic can use different elements thereby targeting weaknesses and avoid strong resistances. That can actually give spells a lot more damage if an enemy resists penetration.
There are enemies where physical damage is completely useless.
So it's a lot of patience to get the stronger spells and choosing the right spell for the right enemy. Thankfully cunning is a great stat for Black Mages so you should have a slightly less painful sense success rate.

Bunnyslut

Jan 18, 2019
Are there any really stand out spells? Primal Scar looks amazing, but it's not doing as much damage as I expected.

Shion

Feb 5, 2017
Are there any really stand out spells? Primal Scar looks amazing, but it's not doing as much damage as I expected.
It's more a set up spell, since it lowers the resistance of the character. Grand Finale is a great continuation and so is Celestial Smite. It would also really befit from other elemental attackers in the party, though the options for that are rather slim.
Even more since Frost isn't that useful for the current area.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Shatter, Jolt, Ray of Frost and Arc Cannon are good offensive spells. Grease is also good if you or a Companion also have Fireball or Fire Bolt.

Shion

Feb 5, 2017
Vitality Reap is also a consideration. But the lower level single target spells can't really keep up with the Level 6 Spells.

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
On the public build, I had a pretty good offensive mage build using [Power Wave] [Arc Cannon] and [Smite Evil].

But my new thief build can 1v1 any single target, even mini bosses like the Drider Queen and Bythernia . Especially with that one Kiyoko build that nerfs enemies. I can usually tear most opponents up. Except for selkies with their bullshit [disarm] and the painted demon with their mad lust damage.

Worst thing with both of these builds is that they're glass canons.

If you want a pure damage build and don't really care about role-playing, then I'd recommend a thief build.

Bunnyslut

Jan 18, 2019
It's more a set up spell, since it lowers the resistance of the character. Grand Finale is a great continuation and so is Celestial Smite. It would also really befit from other elemental attackers in the party, though the options for that are rather slim.
Even more since Frost isn't that useful for the current area.
I haven't found Grand Finale or Celestial Smite yet. Where do you find them?

Bunnyslut

Jan 18, 2019
On the public build, I had a pretty good offensive mage build using [Power Wave] [Arc Cannon] and [Smite Evil].

But my new thief build can 1v1 any single target, even mini bosses like the Drider Queen and Bythernia . Especially with that one Kiyoko build that nerfs enemies. I can usually tear most opponents up. Except for selkies with their bullshit [disarm] and the painted demon with their mad lust damage.

Worst thing with both of these builds is that they're glass canons.

If you want a pure damage build and don't really care about role-playing, then I'd recommend a thief build.
For role-play purposes I wanted to branch away from being a physical powerhouse. It feels kind of wrong to me for my slutty MC to be a hulking berserker.