How dedicated are you to RP?

Nao

Dec 29, 2017
So part of what I love about these games is the role-play aspect you can do. To be specific I mean sticking to the personality you give your character like only sticking to one partner no matter what or always being a pervert because you picked the rich kid background.
I'm thinking of taking it a step further by doing a personal journal just to write with what I'm given but based on how my character is. Is it too much? If not then I wonder if you guys have thought of doing the same or done something different to stick with the role-play

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
To a small extent, I feel that I've taken back my Steele by making her a treated bimbo. Okay not really but let me have my fantasies.

Reactions: Nao

Nao

Dec 29, 2017
I am not interested in Captain Steele, I am not invested in the three personalities and I dislike how the game speaks or reacts for me at times, so I focus on using items and TFs I like for each of my Steeles. In case you're interested this is my headcanon for my main Steele.
Yeah that's the problem with TiTs but I still try to make it enjoyable. I try to make mine a pure human who gets disgusted with the Galaxy on how things are like how sex isn't really sacred anymore. (Ironic given the game is all about perversions and fantasies)

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I don't know if this counts as RP but I do have a set of basic rules that do follow on my longest running Steele:

DTFuck
DTFight
DTParty (yeah I could have made this 'Feast' but this isn't a ren fair)
...in that exact order. Never murder things if there are other options available and birth all the babies.

valkyr42

Mar 4, 2016
It's Cold Here, Midwestern US
I have a handful of different characters but they tend to be mischevious, poly and surprisingly anti-corp for a megacorp heir/ess. I stick with the character concept for each character; gay characters don't date the girls despite myself personally being extremely bisexual. I just think being a naga is neat and think anyone with the ability to have a completely prehensile 30 ft lower body would go for it

Reactions: ShySquare and Nao

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
That's a tough question.

Part of the allure of RPGs is getting to play a part, a role, someone different than yourself. Whether that difference manifests physically, emotionally, spiritually, or a mixture of all three to varying degrees is part of the fun. There's always been a little piece of the true me at the core of every PC I've ever played but I have endeavored to stay true to the person I've created.

Of course, it's so much easier to stay faithful to my PC's background if I'm playing an RPG with a group of friends. If my PC is afraid of spiders yet charges into the lair of Shelob at the drop of the hat, the DM is going to call me out on it. If, however, I'm playing, say, Corruption of Champions in the privacy of my home, I won't think twice about sticking my dick in a drider's pussy.

TheShepard256

I am not interested in Captain Steele, I am not invested in the three personalities and I dislike how the game speaks or reacts for me at times
I don't have the same issue, since I view Steele - and other RPG protagonists - as being not the player themself, but their own character for whom the player acts as a high-level/"bigger picture" guiding force - the player tells them what they should do, and they go about it in their own way. Still, I like to maintain consistency in my PC's actions, so I still find the role-playing aspect quite easy.

As for my Steele, she's a kind-hearted, intelligent and optimistic but not naïve individual who doesn't like hurting people (preferring to use tease attacks whenever practical), refuses to kill unless absolutely necessary (parasites excepted, especially invasive ones), hates abuse, addictions, racism/sexism/etc. and most types of forcing, refuses to be submissive towards those she doesn't trust (due to the potential for abuse), is loyal to those she does, is very tech- and sex-positive, refuses to be monogamous or to make her lovers be monogamous (though if they're monogamous of their own free will, that's okay), and generally wants to be a force for good in the galaxy.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I view Steele - and other RPG protagonists - as being not the player themself, but their own character for whom the player acts as a high-level/"bigger picture" guiding force - the player tells them what they should do, and they go about it in their own way.
That's because they aren't the player :p
It's just that, when I play smutty games, I need to relate to the character I'm playing and find suitable partners - at least during a main play.

Reactions: Colourless and Nao

QualityCuntrol

Nov 12, 2019
I tend to have trouble roleplaying, actually: I keep making decisions according to my IRL morals, even if I made a character whose decisions would be different from mine, and even though it's completely fantasy! The only game I haven't had this problem with has been CoC2, and honestly I'm not sure why.

Outside of the moral decisions aspect that make up a significant part of the game, I tend to make my Steele really open to a wide range of relationships, and polyamorous. He's a huge sub who will sometimes Dom for the benefit of his partners and is really quite good at it, but doesn't get anything out of it. He gets bred pretty consistently and loves all his kids (and, though it's not in-game, I have him spend quite a lot of time with all of them and give Briget very specific instructions on how to rear them, which she finds annoying). He really is more of a homebody who would rather live out in a forest somewhere with his horde of children, but has resolved to enjoy his time as a Rusher, not only because he's got a goal, but because it is genuinely fun as hell despite his missing his kids.

He has a lot of casual sex and a lot of partners, but few of them tick most of his boxes, much less all of them: he likes big dicks (that make his stomach bulge) on masculine men who treat him like a toy/pet/breeder (and cuddle with him afterwards), plus other weirdly specific stuff. On top of that, he finds it hard to connect with anyone on a very deep level because of his circumstances and his complicated feelings about it all, so he's overall very lonely despite being surrounded by loving people. He wonders how hard it is to find a space therapist

Reactions: Nao and Paradox01

Night

Aug 26, 2015
I live in my Steele’s shoes. I’ve created a backstory for him that I like better than what’s give in game. Generally I try and make his personality as close to my own, I really immerse myself in the character. Something I don’t(evidently) see many people doing.

To my Steele (me) most of the relationships feel like short term flings. Very few feel like they’ll persist after the game actually concludes. I don’t know if I could really do polyamory irl, I’d like to try. But my Steele sort of falls into the mold of loving in the moment with whoever you’re with at the time. He has love for all his girls but when he’s away he’s not pining for them, as to him they probably wouldn’t do the same seeing as many have their out lives and relationships outside of him.

Reactions: QualityCuntrol

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I tend to have trouble roleplaying, actually: I keep making decisions according to my IRL morals, even if I made a character whose decisions would be different from mine, and even though it's completely fantasy!
This! If part of my PC's backstory is that my family was murdered by an Orc raiding party, it's easy enough to go around saying things like, "Orcs...I hate these guys." If, however, my PC had the chance to wipe out an entire orc village with the press of a button, I'd balk, even if he/she should feel completely justified in doing so.

He wonders how hard it is to find a space therapist
Funny how you never find a therapist in an RPG, yet kick a rock and you hit half a dozen taverns, pubs, bars, and inns. :p

Nao

Dec 29, 2017
I don't have the same issue, since I view Steele - and other RPG protagonists - as being not the player themself, but their own character for whom the player acts as a high-level/"bigger picture" guiding force - the player tells them what they should do, and they go about it in their own way. Still, I like to maintain consistency in my PC's actions, so I still find the role-playing aspect quite easy.

As for my Steele, she's a kind-hearted, intelligent and optimistic but not naïve individual who doesn't like hurting people (preferring to use tease attacks whenever practical), refuses to kill unless absolutely necessary (parasites excepted, especially invasive ones), hates abuse, addictions, racism/sexism/etc. and most types of forcing, refuses to be submissive towards those she doesn't trust (due to the potential for abuse), is loyal to those she does, is very tech- and sex-positive, refuses to be monogamous or to make her lovers be monogamous (though if they're monogamous of their own free will, that's okay), and generally wants to be a force for good in the galaxy.

That's an interesting Steele. Mine is a intelligent but mischievous individual who has the flaw of being a hypocrite where he judges those who are involved in polygamy or have harems but won't say anything when he has a harem. Though he has a process his lovers based on how much has he interacted with them and how much he knows about them, tends to stay away from flings as he sees sex sacred.
This doesn't mean he's all peace loving as he will try to fight his way out of most combat situations without hesitation unless his intellectual mind can come up with a better solution. Though thanks to his austere background he never picks the easy options and would voluntarily pick the hard routes just so whatever rewards were promised feels earned.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I don't really rp in this game. I'm not given tools to really do so. Kinda like Mass Effect or Fallout 4, you have very limited options and a pretty preset character.

Otherwise, I absolutely love RPGs. It's really, really fun, especially if you're playing someone who isn't like you. I will say it is distinctly not fun when you're playing someone that isn't like you because they literally do not know what a personality is, which is why I have a problem with samey action game protagonists, and dropped The Surge after 30 seconds.

Reactions: Nao

valkyr42

Mar 4, 2016
It's Cold Here, Midwestern US
I don't really RP in this game. I'm not given tools to really do so...
This is why I think there should be an Interview you get trapped in between waking up to the Cousin's message and auto-flying to Mhen'ga, where either you manually choose a few short answers for flavor purposes or allow Canon Steele to give their opinion so you may know it and play around it. Or blast past the journalist like an asshole and start the game shortly after Midnight or something instead of 6:01 AM.

Nao

Dec 29, 2017
This is why I think there should be an Interview you get trapped in between waking up to the Cousin's message and auto-flying to Mhen'ga, where either you manually choose a few short answers for flavor purposes or allow Canon Steele to give their opinion so you may know it and play around it. Or blast past the journalist like an asshole and start the game shortly after Midnight or something instead of 6:01 AM.
Yeah more options would make things exciting. Imagine if your steele being kind caused him/her to be late to retrieve the probe because of a distress signal with the text explaining how its killing you inside with worry if its a life or death scenario (and being a cold hearted asshole would just give you a meh response because your steele wouldnt care unless there is a promise of rewards).

Im not sure if thats already a thing because ill be honest i always pick mischievous since there isnt much change in dialogue. As much as i try to rp in this game its very difficult